Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Vet health check for going to EU

Zebedee

Zebedee

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Just been quoted £180 by the vet for the health check before travel to France! The dog had his Rabies a year ago plus the blood test to prove it had worked....and this needs to be done every time you visit! And has to be done strictly within 10 days of travel and takes a whole day apparently! Oh and they are fully booked! Aaagghh

I used to travel over every half term and holiday so that would be £652 extra a year. Plus I’m betting the vet in France will have put their costs up too!!!!!!!

My vet quoted less than that.

And you post is incorrect on a couple of points.
A blood test is not required.
The rabies jab is not required every year (after the first 2 years it is then boosted every 3 years).

The scaremongering around this from vets and others is not necessary.

I was told once you have the AHC there is no requirement to visit a Euro vet prior to returning to the UK so that should save anything between 15 and 55 Euros.

Also the AHC is valid for three months I think so if you time it right you’ll get a couple of trips on one ticket.

UK rabies jab last three years. Euro jab only one.

I was quoted £150.

I was told once you have the AHC there is no requirement to visit a Euro vet prior to returning to the UK so that should save anything between 15 and 55 Euros.

Also the AHC is valid for three months I think so if you time it right you’ll get a couple of trips on one ticket.

UK rabies jab last three years. Euro jab only one.

I was quoted £150.
You have to have your dog wormed by a vet no more than 120 hours before returning to the UK.

Anyone know a good Dutch vet?

I repeat, when I raised this with my vet on Monday, he told me the AHC now negates the requirement to visit a vet prior to returning to the UK

Sorry to jump on this thread and ask a basic question;

We have a dog who has never travelled abroad but we'd like to take her.

We give her over the counter worming tablets now and again but she apart from the usual booster jabs and kennel cough we haven't had her jabbed/tested for anything else.

What is required and within what timeframes for her?

We'd be considering going to the EU (so France, Ireland, Italy etc).

Thanks

I repeat, when I raised this with my vet on Monday, he told me the AHC now negates the requirement to visit a vet prior to returning to the UK

Your vet needs to read the gov website then!! Worming by a vet required before entry to UK. Black and white, pretty clear on the gov website.

Sorry to jump on this thread and ask a basic question;

We have a dog who has never travelled abroad but we'd like to take her.

We give her over the counter worming tablets now and again but she apart from the usual booster jabs and kennel cough we haven't had her jabbed/tested for anything else.

What is required and within what timeframes for her?

We'd be considering going to the EU (so France, Ireland, Italy etc).

Thanks

Earliest a dog can have rabies jab is 12 weeks. Need to wait 3 weeks before travelling. As mentioned in earlier post, rabies jab needs a booster within 365 days. Thereafter only required every 3 years. But, keep an accurate eye on date as 1 day over and you start again.

AHC from vet required before travel. Valid 4 months. But UK citizens only allowed 90 days in any 180 in Europe, so should not be a problem.

Dewormer required before travelling home.