Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Travelling 6 up with the extra seats in.

Neilos

Neilos

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi all, I’m close to purchasing some second hand seats for our beach. I’ve not actually seen a beach with all the seats installed in the flesh. Just wondering how’s the leg room? What’s it like travelling with the extra seats in? How’s the boot space? We are planning a couple of long-ish trips into France. 4 adults, 2 sprogs in car seats. Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi all, I’m close to purchasing some second hand seats for our beach. I’ve not actually seen a beach with all the seats installed in the flesh. Just wondering how’s the leg room? What’s it like travelling with the extra seats in? How’s the boot space? We are planning a couple of long-ish trips into France. 4 adults, 2 sprogs in car seats. Cheers!

Hi, I have a 3 seat bench, 7 seater. Leg room is good! We just got back from our fourth yearly ski trip to French Alps. Multi flex board fully extended to increase luggage space, 7 180cm tall guys. Six big packs under the multi flex, one bag and 7 boot bags above multi flex (comfort mattress removed), 7 sets of skis in ski bags on floor between first and second row, no infringing on foot room of middle 3rd row seat. Only inconvenience is left side second row passenger has to climb over skis to reach seat, but stellar comfort and savings on fuel and tolls. 700km each way with no complaints. 3 zone climate controls were a good investment.
Edit: obviously we did not sleep in the van!

Edit 2: If you are using two car seats, you can move the second row seats forward or back depending on which row they are mounted in, and the two remaining adults in the back will have limousine-like leg room.

If you are planning on sleeping in the van, @Amarillo has posted some interesting alternatives for making the bed downstairs with all seats in, different than what the manual suggests, leaving more foot room with the bed made. I don’t know if you have a 2 seat or three seat bench...on the 3 seat, the multi flex board is higher and matches the height of the bench and second row when folded forward in table position. For a 2 seat bench, you would have to compensate for the lower multi flex.

If you are planning on sleeping in the van, @Amarillo has posted some interesting alternatives for making the bed downstairs with all seats in, different than what the manual suggests, leaving more foot room with the bed made. I don’t know if you have a 2 seat or three seat bench...on the 3 seat, the multi flex board is higher and matches the height of the bench and second row when folded forward in table position. For a 2 seat bench, you would have to compensate for the lower multi flex.

Leg room depends on whether you're travelling with the Multiflex or not.

Here's a pic from our van with it in:

1579174609750.png
(It's pretty tight for adults, but with children it's not so bad)

Here's another with the Multiflex removed:

1579174685033.png

1579174709051.png

It's much more spacious but you've obviously got luggage space to consider.

You can also move the 3 seat bench forwards and backwards to suit.

I hope that helps.

Leg room depends on whether you're travelling with the Multiflex or not.

Here's a pic from our van with it in:

View attachment 54252
(It's pretty tight for adults, but with children it's not so bad)

Here's another with the Multiflex removed:

View attachment 54253

View attachment 54254

It's much more spacious but you've obviously got luggage space to consider.

You can also move the 3 seat bench forwards and backwards to suit.

I hope that helps.
With the second row facing forward you would not lose all the foot space behind the first row.

Hi, I have a 3 seat bench, 7 seater. Leg room is good! We just got back from our fourth yearly ski trip to French Alps. Multi flex board fully extended to increase luggage space, 7 180cm tall guys. Six big packs under the multi flex, one bag and 7 boot bags above multi flex (comfort mattress removed), 7 sets of skis in ski bags on floor between first and second row, no infringing on foot room of middle 3rd row seat. Only inconvenience is left side second row passenger has to climb over skis to reach seat, but stellar comfort and savings on fuel and tolls. 700km each way with no complaints. 3 zone climate controls were a good investment.
Edit: obviously we did not sleep in the van!

Wow, that’s impressive. We have the 3 seat bench. Not sleeping in van. But using van to avoid taking a second car over. Sounds great!

Thanks for the info all really helpful. We usually travel for skiing in a Sharan and with careful packing get out gear in (no skis just boots). So I’m thinking shorten the multi flex, leave the mattress at home and hopefully the boot is still plenty big enough for luggage. We travel pretty light due to having to squeeze into the sharan before!

Plenty of leg room with multiflex down and all seats facing forward.
For 6 seats, you could put a single seat in the centre of the van and leg room is between front seats. Then loads of space for the outer seats in the 3rd row..

Thanks for the info all really helpful. We usually travel for skiing in a Sharan and with careful packing get out gear in (no skis just boots). So I’m thinking shorten the multi flex, leave the mattress at home and hopefully the boot is still plenty big enough for luggage. We travel pretty light due to having to squeeze into the sharan before!

In that configuration without skis, you will still have space between 2nd row and floor/seat third row for more luggage, with great leg room.

Neilos,

If you get stuck regarding buying the extra seats, you can borrow my 2 if you only need them for a week or two..

I’m in South Essex.

Neilos,

If you get stuck regarding buying the extra seats, you can borrow my 2 if you only need them for a week or two..

I’m in South Essex.

Thanks that’s really kind, will let you know! Cheers

We use our Beach in seven seat mode about once or twice a year usually for airport runs when we go on holiday with our son, daughter in law and their family. So on those occasions we have four adults and three children 5, 8 and 10 years and all of our luggage which usually consists of around six cases and hand some luggage. I usually remove the multiflex on these occasions as it would just get in the way. There's always bags of leg room and everyone has a comfortable ride. Sometimes we return on night flights so we also have duvets and pillows in the van for the children so that they can sleep on the drive home. It all works out very well.

We have also used the van with seven seats in for the odd wedding and family event. The Beach is a brilliant vehicle and whilst I don't use them that often, I wouldn't want one without the extra two swivel seats. Basically you can configure it to suit your passengers and luggage.
20190728_093352.jpg20190728_094052.jpg
The above photos might not be that helpful but they do show our previous Beach in seven seat configuration. They illustrate how you can configure a Beach whilst the seven seats are in place. For these photos the multiflex was removed and the bench shoved right back as far as it would go, although it's not necessary to do this in order to use the van effectively with seven occupants.

The pop up child seats aren't that useful IMO as they only fit a child correctly for a very small period of time as there's no adjustment. They also have little or no lateral support. You are better off getting a fully adjustable booster seat with isofix.

One final thing. The seats are very heavy so I'd recommend a small cheap trolley to move them to where you will be storing them when not in use. Don't try to carry them on your own.

We also have an Anssems GT750 trailer so if we were ever to take seven camping we could shove all of our kit in that sealed waterproof trailer and have the seats with maximum leg room. Brilliant trailer and very useful.

Last edited:
We use our Beach in seven seat mode about once or twice a year usually for airport runs when we go on holiday with our son, daughter in law and their family. So on those occasions we have four adults and three children 5, 8 and 10 years and all of our luggage which usually consists of around six cases and hand some luggage. I usually remove the multiflex on these occasions as it would just get in the way. There's always bags of leg room and everyone has a comfortable ride. Sometimes we return on night flights so we also have duvets and pillows in the van for the children so that they can sleep on the drive home. It all works out very well.

We have also used the van with seven seats in for the odd wedding and family event. The Beach is a brilliant vehicle and whilst I don't use them that often, I wouldn't want one without the extra two swivel seats. Basically you can configure it to suit your passengers and luggage.
View attachment 54265View attachment 54266View attachment 54266
The above photos might not be that helpful but they do show our previous Beach in seven seat configuration. They illustrate how you can configure a Beach whilst the seven seats are in place. For these photos the multiflex was removed and the bench shoved right back as far as it will go. The pop up child seats aren't that useful IMO as they only fit a child correctly for a very small period of time as there's no adjustment. They also have little or no lateral support. You are better off getting a fully adjustable booster seat with isofix.

One final thing. The seats are very heavy so I'd recommend a small cheap trolley to move them to where you will be storing them when not in use. Don't try to carry them on your own.

We also have an Anssems GT750 trailer so if we were ever to take seven camping we could shove all of our kit in that sealed waterproof trailer and have the seats with maximum leg room. Brilliant trailer and very useful.

Thanks @Borris, really good info. I was literally just looking at cheap trolleys on amazon. We have the booster seats with isofix, so all good. Looks like it’ll make the Beach even more useful than it already is!

The pop up child seats aren't that useful IMO as they only fit a child correctly for a very small period of time as there's no adjustment. They also have little or no lateral support. You are better off getting a fully adjustable booster seat with isofix.
We recently did a 190 mile round trip with four children under seven, two in the integrated child seats and two on Group 2 child seats. The integrated seats are fine until the child falls asleep when they can fall out of the chair. I think that they should be categorised at Group 3 seats only.

Or if your unlucky enough to suffer a side impact.
If the child is awake and sitting up the thing that clips onto the headrest should offer some protection to the head and neck. I think it is this thing which allows the integrated seat to be classified as Group 2.

If the child is awake and sitting up the thing that clips onto the headrest should offer some protection to the head and neck. I think it is this thing which allows the integrated seat to be classified as Group 2.
Possibly, but compare that arrangement with a fully adjustable isofix full height booster seat and I think it comes a poor second at best.

We travelled to France & back last year, 6 up, towing a large German Caravan, with both middle seats facing backwards & the multiflex board removed. Plenty of room for the 4 in the back.

Pre trip we did try configurations with multiflex left in but too much clashing of knees between 6ft + teenagers.... it all depends on the level of discomfort / intimacy that the rear passengers can tolerate!! :thumb

....... I decided on lowest noise level from rear was preferable so left multiflex out.

Last edited:

I have done that and with the rear bench in , the leg room is barely enough for grown ups . But if you take the rear bench out (i.e. use as a people carrier then you can have as much as you want

I have done that and with the rear bench in , the leg room is barely enough for grown ups .
Not my experience.
8BA4EE70-C69C-44A1-844D-79F55B5FA2D0.jpeg
Photo was taken with the multiflex board fully extended for luggage space for 7 full sized back packs, 7 day packs and 7 boot bags, with the comfort mattress...no problem.

Last edited:
Not my experience.
View attachment 54328
Photo was taken with the multiflex board fully extended for luggage space for 7 full sized back packs, 7 day packs and 7 boot bags, with the comfort mattress...no problem.
If the additional seats were rear facing there would be a leg room issue, but having them front facing gives significantly more space.

Back