Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Travelling / cash / cards in the euro zone

CALI FATE

CALI FATE

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi - we are planning an extended trip to southern europe this summer and wondering what you guys do for cash / credit cards etc. We normally take a bit of cash and use our bank cards / credit cards for day to day expenses. However i feel we are open to spurious currency fluctuations / fees / bank charges etc, and if we are going for a longer period we could do with being better organised. Is there a charge card where we could load it up with Euros - or something better maybe a euro bank account ? Whats the smart way to go ciao for now - thanks

NatWest (for a credit card), and Monzo (for current account / currency card) between them offer free cash withdrawals, zero bank charges for forex transactions and best in class / no markup exchange rates

Halifax Clarity credit card for me but I’m thinking of going to Revolut

Hi - we are planning an extended trip to southern europe this summer and wondering what you guys do for cash / credit cards etc. We normally take a bit of cash and use our bank cards / credit cards for day to day expenses. However i feel we are open to spurious currency fluctuations / fees / bank charges etc, and if we are going for a longer period we could do with being better organised. Is there a charge card where we could load it up with Euros - or something better maybe a euro bank account ? Whats the smart way to go ciao for now - thanks
We use starling bank is a no fee no brainer. I use it almost weekly all over the world when travelling on business for all my personal expenses.

Revolut. We also have a property abroad and we use the Revolut card for all our payments from the moment we emerge from the tunnel.
If something costs ten Euros, you pay ten Euros. No commission and no exchange rate to worry about.
Exchange rate is excellent and online app works very well.
Best bit is that you can top up your balance when exchange rates are good (like now) so when rates drop it doesn’t affect you as you have already bought your currency.
Only restriction is a relatively low monthly cash withdrawal limit, but using cash now is getting increasingly rare. To get around this we also have a Starling card as this is more generous with cash withdrawals so we can just transfer money over to the Starling account if required.

I check Money Saving Expert for the best card about a month before we go. I have always used cards and little cash and found we get a better exchange rate when spending on the card. I always take at least 2 different cards and my debit card in case one stops working.

As well as cash and cards we have a WeSwap card which you can preload in various currencies. You can top up on the fly and swap amounts between your ‘wallets’ - i.e. GBP to Euro - found it useful in the past.

We have a Post office travel money pre-load card, you load it with the currency you want, using a mobile app, it has various currencies “wallets” and you get a good rate when you load it. You then pay in the local currency with no commission.

I used a Caxton FX pre-load card up to two years ago and liked it. Don't know what it's like now as I haven't needed foreign currency for a while.

Monzo definitely. Always pay in local currency. You will get the best exchange rate.

We have a Post office travel money pre-load card, you load it with the currency you want, using a mobile app, it has various currencies “wallets” and you get a good rate when you load it. You then pay in the local currency with no commission.

Only problem is you pay to load the card.
Personally, I use Post Office now JaJa credit card for 99% of purchases and Monzo for the odd bits of cash.
Rarely use cash anymore…

Halifax Clarity credit card and Starling Bank preloaded for trip. Never had an issue with either and the exchange rates are the best.

Carry a small amount of cash for refreshments etc.. Cash may be a problem for your security if you show it in large amounts - depending on where you go.
Most of S Europe uses cards same as in the UK, probably more so with non-contact Covid. My last trip to Greece we had no problem ... residents were restricted to 60€ from bancomats, our cards allowed any amount without difficulty.
MSE is a good start for choosing a card. Martin Lewis goes for credit cards but I like keeping tabs on my spending or I'm just old-fashioned.
I happen to use a Sainsbury's Pre-Paid which I load at the nearest in-store travel shop, or on-line, with euros when the rate is good. It is about 85p at the moment which counts as good although I always calculate it +3p per euro to keep the bankers in style.
A pre-paid card can be used in most places - hotels, supermarkets, restaurants, fuel stations, shops etc. but not, usually, for car-hire. You may need to use it on a regular basis, say annually, to avoid charges.
From my experience you should have no difficulty in Italy, Greece, Romania or Bulgaria and all the countries between here and there. Others may advise on Spain, Portugal, Morocco and Turkey.
'Kalo Taxidi'

Google a TransferWise card.

It's simple, very cost effective, works in all countries, can hold as many currencies as you wish.

This is a great solution for us travelling full time around EU and other surrounding countries.

FairFX card, preload when exchange rate is good (such as now) which can be topped up as you go, use it as a debit card in shops and supermarkets, free cash withdrawals from machines (not that we used much cash on our last trip in September/October), plus always carry a couple of hundred euros in the safe ‘just in case’.

Another vote for both Starling (slightly better exchange rate) and Revolut (ability to buy Euros etc. when interest rate is good). Cash now needed only occasionally, at least in France and Spain.

Back