Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Travelling through/by-passing Rouen....low tunnels?

D

Dave bee

VIP Member
We're due to travel south from Calais to the Ile de Re and Dordogne for a couple of weeks with the kids this summer. The satnav is leading us through Rouen, but I've heard tales of low tunnels there which is concerning me. Has anyone any experience of driving through Rouen and these tunnels? We need to stop somewhere en route for lunch and will be passing through this area at about the right time, but I'm not sure if stopping in the city is the best plan as we won't have long to explore and I'm a bit jittery about us parking in cities....any other suggestions welcome! (I have been to Rouen before but it was a long time ago and I was on a coach trip so didn't have to worry about these things)

Thanks,

Mrs Dave Bee

Just driven from Calais to Amboise via Rouen no tunnels too low for our Cali with bikes on the bike.

Just driven from Calais to Amboise via Rouen no tunnels too low for our Cali with bikes on the bike.

Fabulous - that's what I was hoping to hear! Did you just follow a sat nav?

Never had a problem in Rouen going south :D

There are two tunnels which go under roundabouts....I think the height was 2.4m...I didn't risk it with my bike on. They're easily avoided and clearly flagged...you just go round the roundabout instead

Must have driven through Rouen about a hundred times and never had a problem.

Guillaume LE Duc de Normandie once had a tunnel problem in Rouen but that's another story ..... his Mum was awful when he tried to escape from her :D

Fabulous - that's what I was hoping to hear! Did you just follow a sat nav?
Yes just followed Sat Nav. It did try to send me via Paris but I had read about the tunnels there in DM's Corsica thread so we went via Rouen. We did the journey today.

is it just bikes on a tailgate bike rack, or a Viking longboat on the roof?

Driving through Rouen earlier this month, we twice encountered underpasses at 1m80!
And with inadequate warning, leading to hectic lane-changing...
I would suggest being VERY careful in Rouen.

Could you let me know your route as I am doing same trip then on to arachon
Cheers
We left Calais and headed toward Rouen on the A16 then the A28 toward Le Mans and Tours then the A10 toward Amboise. We left Calis at 10am and arrived in Amboise at 4:30pm but we had three stops on the way. Pack a rain coat, currently Il de Rain western France is getting some weather fronts.

Last edited:
Slightly nervous now.... Going this way in a week... Never saw these in car or motorbike but I like to skirt the major towns... I know I should know but what is the MINIMUM height we can get through????

Slightly nervous now.... Going this way in a week... Never saw these in car or motorbike but I like to skirt the major towns... I know I should know but what is the MINIMUM height we can get through????

2 metres is fine and if you are going THROUGH Rouen, A13 or A28, then you will have no problems

We're due to travel south from Calais to the Ile de Re and Dordogne for a couple of weeks with the kids this summer. The satnav is leading us through Rouen, but I've heard tales of low tunnels there which is concerning me. Has anyone any experience of driving through Rouen and these tunnels? We need to stop somewhere en route for lunch and will be passing through this area at about the right time, but I'm not sure if stopping in the city is the best plan as we won't have long to explore and I'm a bit jittery about us parking in cities....any other suggestions welcome! (I have been to Rouen before but it was a long time ago and I was on a coach trip so didn't have to worry about these things)

Thanks,

Mrs Dave Bee
Hi Mrs Bee,
For about two years now, TomTom has routed us through the industrial area of Rouen avoiding the under passes. It just happened and we were pleased as it coincided with the purchase of our Cali. You can stay "up top" if your satnav does take you through the centre though. Just go steady and look ahead so you can avoid the tunnel. I wouldn't drive our Cali through one and we avoid the tunnel going through Paris as well. We take the Orly side of Paris if we have to.