Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Trolley jack points

M

Ma77sc

VIP Member
I've managed to get hold of a high lift 2.5T trolley jack to help me swap winter/summer wheels but am concerned about the best jacking points. I don't intend to use axle stands as I won't be going under (but will probably have some wood blocks around until I can trust the jack). What's the best place to jack each corner? I've looked at the vertical scissor jack jacking points and they would sit in the lugs of the trolley jack contact disc (the black circular thing high up in this pic)

SW2TJCB_2_toone_trolley_jack.jpg

The question is are these the best/most secure places to jack it up without having to remove undertrays and other covers or are there some readily exposed subframe components that people jack up with using a block of wood? I only intend to do one corner at a time to minimise the load, maximise stability etc so looking for corners.

To be honest, despite having a decent trolley jack, the two times i've swapped between Summer and Winter tyres i've used the standard equipment jack as it fits securely in the jacking points and gives ample lift.

I work around the car, corner by corner, and have the new wheel ready waiting next to me to go straight on as the old wheel comes off; I whip a couple of fasteners straight on hand tight to make the corner 'safe' before securing properly.

The only time i've been slightly worried is when having to dislodge a reluctant front alloy which took a huge amount of force to persuade it to loosen its grip of the hub. But still the factory jack did its job. (That was when putting the winters on this year, not last year, so the alloy had been off before)

Simon

Thanks Shambly,

I've read horror stories about the included scissor jack and wouldn't want to use except to change a wheel on the road (based on previous experience about once every two-three years although I did get two unrelated punctures in one day once...) versus the sixteen jack-ups that winter/summer wheels would take in the same period.

I changed mine on Saturday - yes I know its a bit late! I followed Simon's procedure and refrained from using my trolley jack as there didn't seem any suitable jacking points. A couple of the wheels were stuck, but Cali didn't rock unduly whilst alternatively kicking the tyre and then rocking it off the the hub.

I've got a 1/2" impact wrench so that speeded things up a bit. My torque wrench only went to 150nm so had to do it up a bit more using the wheel wrench.

I also decided to order a fifth wheel from Benn so I have the correct spare as the grip from the M&S tyres in snow would be a lot better than my Dunlop Sport spare and if on the front the grip would be uneven.

Thunders now cleaned and in the garage.

Andy

As others have said I have used the van jack when I've taken wheels off with out any problems. Am a lot happier using it on my drive than I would be on a road, particularly motorway when the Cali would rock as traffic passed.
At the front there is a large tubular chassis member that you could put the trolley jack under & at the back under the wishbone.

Of course the usual disclaimers, should you have an accident don't blame me !

I used the scissor jack to put my new alloys on - was ok.

I've got a trolly jack but wasn't sure how the cup would fit with the jacking point - didn't want to bend it.

how do tyre fitters manage it when they change your tyres...?

I did wonder what tyre fitters do - but I've never taken mine to the tyre place. I think they have long reach jacks with rubber jack pads on the end (and experience) that just allow them to find a flat metal part of the chassis or suspension and go from there. There are a couple of places under the van that to my untrained eye looked absolutely fine for the job.

However in response to my own thread I used a chopped in half tennis ball in the cup to avoid the metal on metal interface of the jack and the standard (scissor) jacking points as illustrated in the manuakl. Obviously I was diligent to ensure that as the half ball compressed their was no chance of slippage between the jack and the jacking point in that the crenellations on the jack head were in the right places.

All this seemed to work fine - the jack was stable as was the van and I was infinitely happier than if I was using the scissor jack. There was no damage or other deformation to either the jack head or the jacking points of the van.

Just invested in a 5 ton trolley jack as I hate using the scissor jack. Anyway, I know I am a bit late but I am about to take off my winter wheels however I just want to confirm where I place the jack as I don't want to put it on the scissor jack point?

I mold my own with polymorph plastic.
For the rear there is a strong angle section at the front of the rear wishbone.
Similar at the front..
2E373DE8-5E15-447C-976A-B6BDE6A47DFC.jpeg EC2C0B9B-CAAD-4F3C-B8CA-9A4ED723D079.jpeg

Last edited:
So what do they do at the tyre fitters ?

Only ever had the van lifted on a hoist using all 4 jacking points. Bought a second std jack which has been most useful when swapping front to rear etc. Now just carry a couple of bits of thick ply as multi purpose jack base and levelling chocks.

I mold my own with polymorph plastic.
For the rear there is a strong angle section at the front of the rear wishbone.
Similar at the front..
View attachment 33943 View attachment 33944
Yes, use these vertical angle iron brackets. I bought a three tonne trolley jack, with a rubber pad cover, cost around £100, which I use for wheel swaps. A three tonne one may be a bit OTT but this way it can easily support a quarter of the weight of the van with loads of capacity to spare. I've used many VW factory jacks in the past and never trust them as the foot part doesn't seem big enough to me. I always use my trolley jack which I trust implicitly.

Back