Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Which trolley jack?

Fair enough. I only did that because it said in the instructions for the jack that you shouldn't keep it under load for extended periods. You reckon it would be better to keep the jack on and just have the axle stands in position in case the jack fails?

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

I wouldn't have bothered with the stands at all. Just have the new wheel ready to go straight on when the old one comes off & make sure not to get any part of you under the van.

Fair enough. I only did that because it said in the instructions for the jack that you shouldn't keep it under load for extended periods. You reckon it would be better to keep the jack on and just have the axle stands in position in case the jack fails?
Yep on any vehicle I usually keep the jack in situ alongside the stand(s) while I'm working. You should be checking the valve tightness anyway before you start jacking up, and unless the jack badly needs bleeding it'll stay up for as long as you need it, okay maybe not weeks.

By the way a trolley jack that lowers with a twist of the handle is much handier to use than the kind where you have to fiddle with a separate screw valve. I have a 3-tonne Sealey low-entry jack which is great generally although rather long which makes it slightly faff-ier to manoeuvre depending on whatever else is littering the garage floor, so I sometimes grab a short-chassis jack too.

[EDIT: now I think of it I also have two more trolley jacks, for which I have lost the handles. I'm too lazy to try to find/make new handles for them but it seems so wrong to take them to the tip.]

Oh for a 4-post lift... and a garage roof high enough. ;)

Last edited:
Once jacked up, I always stick the wheel thats going on
under the sidebar whilst I get the wheel in question off.

Oh for a 4-post lift... and a garage roof high enough. ;)

Now you're talking!

Yeah mine releases on twisting the handle, very handy.

I usually lower the jack until van/vehicle just rests on the stand and lock the jack.

Wheel only quick swap would only use the jack under suspension-if it drops slightly then easy to jack up again. Other wheels (2) chocked.
Stand used if any work under arch or body.
I have used the vehicle scissor jack as safety device when no easy axle stand location is available.

Warning is aimed at those who jack up for a day or longer with only the jack supporting.

I have had jacks fail and it's a real problem getting another one under to lift up again.

I've got a Bradbury 1.5 ton Jackette which I bought in 1970. Good old British engineering, still going strong after 50+ years. Mind you it was very expensive, about a weeks wages if l remember correctly, and you can still get it serviced in Birmingham.
Then l've got some chunky blocks of wood, soaked in years of oil and brake fluid that also date back to the 1970's. Chuck them under as a safety measure, Bob's your uncle.

I have a trolley jack that goes low enough to get under my very low bmw and high enough to lift the cali . I use the factory jacking points on both vehicles . It's a good tip said earlier to chuck the removed wheel under the car while working on it

I have a trolley jack that goes low enough to get under my very low bmw and high enough to lift the cali . I use the factory jacking points on both vehicles . It's a good tip said earlier to chuck the removed wheel under the car while working on it
Yes very good tip. It literally saved me when I was about 20 and working on my car, held up (as seemed fine back in the day) on piles of bricks - axle stands being beyond my budget. On grabbing the chassis to pull myself out from under, one of the brick piles gave way. Still makes me shudder.

An option is an air bag, or rather an exhaust bag. I have one I got years ago and used it on the old Bongo when I was working on it. Trolley jack under the jacking point and then the bag inflated elsewhere with a flat piece of wood on top of it.

An option is an air bag, or rather an exhaust bag. I have one I got years ago and used it on the old Bongo when I was working on it. Trolley jack under the jacking point and then the bag inflated elsewhere with a flat piece of wood on top of it.
They seem to get mixed reviews. Some people swear by them, others say they wouldn't go near them as they can be so unstable (which seems odd to me but there you go, maybe that's more of an issue for roadside use).