Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Not enough clearance for a Bottle Jack?

J

johna

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Several fairly inexpensive bottle jacks are available to lift a California when the tyre is inflated, but I’ve not so far found one that I think would work if you had a 2” gash in the sidewall and no hope of inflating (as happened with my car after hitting a pothole).

My Cali with 17” wheels and standard suspension has about 22cm from the ground to the jacking point. A flat tyre could reduce that to around a 12cm gap in which to fit a jack. Trawling the internet I’ve found more expensive low profile jacks that would fit, but they don’t lift very high.

I know there are different views about DIY versus call assistance. Given that I’d like to have the ability to try to deal with it myself, does anybody have suggestions for a
suitable jack that inspires more confidence than the standard VW one? Or are there any any another solutions? Is there any reason not to try driving a flat tyre up onto a levelling ramp, in order to gain a bit more clearance?

Several fairly inexpensive bottle jacks are available to lift a California when the tyre is inflated, but I’ve not so far found one that I think would work if you had a 2” gash in the sidewall and no hope of inflating (as happened with my car after hitting a pothole).

My Cali with 17” wheels and standard suspension has about 22cm from the ground to the jacking point. A flat tyre could reduce that to around a 12cm gap in which to fit a jack. Trawling the internet I’ve found more expensive low profile jacks that would fit, but they don’t lift very high.

I know there are different views about DIY versus call assistance. Given that I’d like to have the ability to try to deal with it myself, does anybody have suggestions for a
suitable jack that inspires more confidence than the standard VW one? Or are there any any another solutions? Is there any reason not to try driving a flat tyre up onto a levelling ramp, in order to gain a bit more clearance?
I think the standard scissor jack is probably more stable than a bottle jack. At least it mates with the chassis jacking point.
Maybe an exhaust air jack?

Unless the puncture is a simple nail in the centre of the tread then you are probably looking at a replacement tyre so driving a short distance to a safer place or up onto a ramp should not be a problem. A simple nail in the tread, then unlikely to suddenly deflate so perfectly possible to pump up and move the vehicle or get a Jack under.

Good points, thanks. Think I'll steer clear of the exhaust air jack though!

Does anyone have experience with those exhaust air jack ?

I can never understand why the manufacturer always insists on jacking up the whole vehicle. It wouldn't be too difficult to adapt the wishbone so that a smaller and more stable jack could be slipped under the wishbone and just lift the wheel you want to change.
I have a low racing trolly jack that can get very close to the wheel and with only a few pumps the wheel if off the ground.

I can never understand why the manufacturer always insists on jacking up the whole vehicle. It wouldn't be too difficult to adapt the wishbone so that a smaller and more stable jack could be slipped under the wishbone and just lift the wheel you want to change.
I have a low racing trolly jack that can get very close to the wheel and with only a few pumps the wheel if off the ground.
Yes, I always use a low profile 3T trolley jack. It even works with our classic mini.....and that is very low!

Is larger than a bottle or scissor jack but much more safe and reliable.

In the van it hardly takes any space. I also carry a 24inch breaker bar for the wheel nuts and large rubber mallet to help break the wheel to hub seal.

Reactions: Loz
Yes, unstable! and if the pipe pops off the exhaust, you get covered in soot.

Haven't tried one but have heard similar.

The most interesting 'roadside' jack I've come across recently is the 12v motor-assisted type, like this one:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAR-JACK-ELECTRIC-2T/313287634186?hash=item48f165ed0a:g:EScAAOSwHK1fo8Zn. A couple of people I know have used them and they say they are brilliant. Anyone on here actually tried one?

Obviously an issue with most types of jack apart from a trolley jack is stability. That can be overcome by carrying a small axle stand. Okay probably not for day-to-day motoring but a good idea for off-beaten-track where you may need to change a wheel on uneven ground. I have a couple of folding stands - Sealey, excellent quality, very light and compact.

Haven't tried one but have heard similar.

The most interesting 'roadside' jack I've come across recently is the 12v motor-assisted type, like this one:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAR-JACK-ELECTRIC-2T/313287634186?hash=item48f165ed0a:g:EScAAOSwHK1fo8Zn. A couple of people I know have used them and they say they are brilliant. Anyone on here actually tried one?

Obviously an issue with most types of jack apart from a trolley jack is stability. That can be overcome by carrying a small axle stand. Okay probably not for day-to-day motoring but a good idea for off-beaten-track where you may need to change a wheel on uneven ground. I have a couple of folding stands - Sealey, excellent quality, very light and compact.
I like the look of that, I've bought one to test out.

I like the look of that, I've bought one to test out.

Looks like a decently big base, which could itself be fixed to a bigger bit of ply. I’d be grateful if you feedback what you think of it, Loz. As becoming increasingly common, they won’t deliver to the Highlands.

Yes, I always use a low profile 3T trolley jack. It even works with our classic mini.....and that is very low!

Is larger than a bottle or scissor jack but much more safe and reliable.

In the van it hardly takes any space. I also carry a 24inch breaker bar for the wheel nuts and large rubber mallet to help break the wheel to hub seal.
Hope you're not jacking the Mini under the sump?

Loz, what trolleyjack do you have please? I got a cheap Sealey but it's MASSIVE

If levelling ramps carried then use one to get some suspension height prior to jacking up.

I use a 3T low level trolley jack from Halfords.

Has lots of benefits and features. Very well made, but is quite heavy. I find this quite reassuring when lifting the 3T Cali.

Is everyone driving around with trolley jacks just in case of a puncture?

Is everyone driving around with trolley jacks just in case of a puncture?
Yes I do if doing a long trip. Packed in a thick blanket along with 24" wrench for the wheel nuts and large rubber mallet to remove the wheel from the hub. Also a power pack combined with type pump.

Short breaker bar plus one of those type with extending length. Wheels off for a polish and corrosion check at least twice a year. Also a Power pack with Compressor. That's it for me on the move.
Air suspension gets the body up if required. Keep intending to make up a hose to take a feed from the Air Tank (175psi) as an emergency tyre inflator.

Have both a standard 2.5T and a low profile 2.5T jack at home. Low profile one preferred.

The Jack arrived this week so I tested it out.
21EFF975-9B5C-4570-A926-7AB585FDD107.jpeg
As I thought, it does not have enough height to lift the whole vehicle from the jacking point as the maximum lift is 340mm.
B96AE911-7149-46E7-A93A-E15D786F6E16.jpeg
It does slip under the wishbones quite close to the wheel and can lift the wheel off the ground enough to change it.
DDC53B3E-4EC3-435A-BA49-EF25D72B3A33.jpeg

E0B1EFE9-3724-47ED-B312-649515847C84.jpeg
I wouldn’t say it is 2T (whatever that is) but can lift a wheel and probably better than the supplied jack. At only £38 I didn’t expect much to be honest.

Last edited:

I have a bottle Jack and 2x fiamma chocks, place both under punctured wheel and drive up them. Plenty of room for bottle Jack.

@Loz , have you let out the air of the tyre and tryed it ?