Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Turning off wardrobe lamp

Taf Powell

Taf Powell

Wandering Dood
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
My 2018 Cali closet light is permanently on. How do I turn it off and back on when I want to?

It should go off when the door is closed.

It is very sensitive. Unless both tambour door and the bit with the vanity mirror are completely closed it will stay on.

Drove me nuts the other night.

Mine doesn't always switch off first time......the micro switch is on the top hinge and it on occasions doesn't close quite enough to activate it. I may add a small dot of glue or a rubber pad to fix it.

The alternative is to put it in for a warranty fix but on present experience i may get the van back and they left something else off.

Funny this timing wise....
Last night I had the same thing for the first time and I found that the actual plastic body that houses the switch (the bulky part behind the metal hinge had moved backwards and away from the metal hinge. Grab this firmly and try to reseat it towards the metal hinge and flat to the wardrobe body....
It may require further attention to make it stay there on a permanent basis though.

Mine doesn't always switch off first time......the micro switch is on the top hinge and it on occasions doesn't close quite enough to activate it. I may add a small dot of glue or a rubber pad to fix it.

The alternative is to put it in for a warranty fix but on present experience i may get the van back and they left something else off.
They'd want to take the kitchen unit out!

Funny this timing wise....
Last night I had the same thing for the first time and I found that the actual plastic body that houses the switch (the bulky part behind the metal hinge had moved backwards and away from the metal hinge. Grab this firmly and try to reseat it towards the metal hinge and flat to the wardrobe body....
It may require further attention to make it stay there on a permanent basis though.
That's exactly the problem, the entire hinge housing isn't stuck to the wardrobe wall very securely - mine is very loose so this is an ongoing issue with many of us I'm afraid

It should go off when the door is closed.

It is very sensitive. Unless both tambour door and the bit with the vanity mirror are completely closed it will stay on.

Drove me nuts the other night.
Thanks everyone. I was a bit daft and missed the trip switch fitted to the top hinge of the vanity door. This is a brand new Cali, a week old. In my case there is a soft pad affixed to the swinging bit of the hinge that is supposed to depress the trip but does not reach it. The switch assembly does not seem loose or set back too far. So I am off to the DIY shop to get a sticky dot that you use to stop a door shutting with a clatter. I will report back on results! Thanks again for all the tips. Taf

Thanks everyone. I was a bit daft and missed the trip switch fitted to the top hinge of the vanity door. This is a brand new Cali, a week old. In my case there is a soft pad affixed to the swinging bit of the hinge that is supposed to depress the trip but does not reach it. The switch assembly does not seem loose or set back too far. So I am off to the DIY shop to get a sticky dot that you use to stop a door shutting with a clatter. I will report back on results! Thanks again for all the tips. Taf
I realise it's a long time since you write about this Taf Powell, however I have the same problem. Did you find a good solution?