Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

TV Aerial

daz60

daz60

The Mighty Quinn
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Hi, has anyone retro fit a TV aerial connection to there Cali ?,

Do you mean the TV module for the RNS system or just an aerial to plug into a portable TV?

Nothing to do with TV aerials daz60.........................But where exactly have you got the red strip on your lower grille from (on your other media photos), please? We have been thinking of doing this to ours for some time, any tips and advice would be gratefully received.

That looks pretty good :thumb

We only use a 4" tv (actually also a sat nav) when away, we have a larger one but it takes up too much space versus the use it gets. The little tv came with a dipole aerial with two suckers on which stick to the window, or sometimes I hang it up in the pop up roof. If no signal then we go for a walk (hopefully to a pub ;))

Yes I also think it is a nuisance having to dangle the cable through the side window. Always get complaints about the draught.

One thing I did discover after total frustration with the Avtex suction aerial over many months, with it always falling off and very rarely being able to pick up any strong signal is to consign it to the bin. By chance I had an old un-amplified vision plus aerial (with the metal prongs) which attaches to the end of a 3 part metal pole. If you have a bike rack open it up and feed the pole through the lats, and use one of the bike holder prongs to hold the aerial vertical. I can honestly say that it works brilliantly, and have never failed to get great TV reception since dusting it down.

Nothing to do with TV aerials daz60.........................But where exactly have you got the red strip on your lower grille from (on your other media photos), please? We have been thinking of doing this to ours for some time, any tips and advice would be gratefully received.
Hi big bloke, I will find the web page and send it to you later today View media item 472

Yes I also think it is a nuisance having to dangle the cable through the side window. Always get complaints about the draught.

One thing I did discover after total frustration with the Avtex suction aerial over many months, with it always falling off and very rarely being able to pick up any strong signal is to consign it to the bin. By chance I had an old un-amplified vision plus aerial (with the metal prongs) which attaches to the end of a 3 part metal pole. If you have a bike rack open it up and feed the pole through the lats, and use one of the bike holder prongs to hold the aerial vertical. I can honestly say that it works brilliantly, and have never failed to get great TV reception since dusting it down.
I also have the same aerial, but lengthened the cable to 5m and put it on the highest part of the roof, good signal

Hi Big Bloke, the part is very good quality, here is the
eBay item number:

Thanks daz60 !
To do the red on the main grill, take the grill off, clip out the chrome inserts, plastic primer them, spray red clip them back in. Just take time and care

Hi,
not sure if you have no solved this? But my current (and favorite so far!) solution is a DM Aerial. http://www.aerialsandtv.com/touringaerials.html. Mine fits to the longest attachment on the bike rack. Usually it can simply stay there, and picks up channels wherever I am in Europe. Occasionally I have needed to raise it on the rack to a full height. The bike rack can still be used as normal.

This solution may not be aesthetic enough for some though!

In terms of coax routing this drops down next to the rear door hinge, then it will squeeze inside the outer run of the rubber door seal, all the way to the bottom, then in a loop to prevent water ingress (like cabling on a boat) back into the vehicle through the split at the base of the rubber sealing.

I connect this to a PCTV system

http://www.pctvsystems.com/Products...adwayUK/tabid/323/language/en-GB/Default.aspx

(which also includes an STB recorder) and then to a WIFI router,

http://uk.tp-link.com/products/details/cat-4691_TL-MR3420.html

(others could be used but I wanted this model for other reasons, e.g. to provide a 3G/4G network in the Cali, and it also requires a 12V supply making powering it somewhat simpler)

which can then all go into a small box in the rear. The whole thing runs from the vehicles 12V rear lighter socket. All the cabling is thus "reasonably discreet". Just a coax along the inside right rear and a short 12V supply in the boot. There is no wiring in the living space. This then provides the TV tuner and wireless stream.

I then stream the routers WIFI output to a laptop/ipad/tablet, normally attached to the headrest or even outside if the weather's nice. So my "screen" is battery operated, so no wires to it are needed.

Two people can watch different channels at the same time as long as there's two tablets/PC's and the recorder isn't in use.

It's much simpler than I've made it sound above!

Aerial -> PCTV -> ROUTER ~~~> WIFI -> "IPAD"
| IN BOOT |

It has been installed similar to above on my last two Cali's. My only real criticism is that the PC TV software is rather dated and clunky to use.

Hope this is of some use.

f5a6ece4e14c95f7dd92368cedd2beac.jpg
ee372833cd5517551c63283cd01c51cb.jpg
ca074a31154ba6c5f0be09df3ac89184.jpg

Works in most places.
Set up is on a Beach. Satellite system on left with 12v switches for Sat, TV and Tuner/powered aerials.