Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

TV Aerial

• Thread starter cpjb@btinternet.com
  • Start date
cpjb@btinternet.com

cpjb@btinternet.com

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Has anyone found an easy alternative to having to feed the TV aerial cable through the open sliding window? Other than the obvious - why take a TV in the first place.

I saw a conversion van the other day that seemed to have an aerial junction box fitted to the side of the van. Don't really want to cut a hole in the side of the van, and wondered whether anybody had come up with an easier workaround.

Thanks.

Who on earth wants to go away in a Cali and watch television?

Oh..

Me ...

Currently downloading off BBC I Player onto my laptop,

Only the news though ...

and the weather ,,,

and the history channel..

ok, a few soaps,

Maybe a suction mounted aerial on the inside of the glass or an aerial placed in the roof space when raised?

Has anyone found an easy alternative to having to feed the TV aerial cable through the open sliding window? Other than the obvious - why take a TV in the first place.

I saw a conversion van the other day that seemed to have an aerial junction box fitted to the side of the van. Don't really want to cut a hole in the side of the van, and wondered whether anybody had come up with an easier workaround.

Thanks.
I don't use the sliding window anymore because if it rains it gets wet behind the kitchen unit. Nowadays I use the passenger window, with wind deflectors in place you can leave it open a crack and everything stays dry!
I've always been quite envious of my mother in law's auto sleeper which has a nice aerial socket inside the van.

Thanks for the responses.

I just wanted to make sure I hadn't missed anything obvious.

Why doesn't VW fit an aerial/sat socket as standard to the Cali? Looks stupid with the cable hanging out the window!!

Last night at Dubfreeze (Stafford Showground) the telly worked with no aerial at all!

If you have factory fitted satnav, I believe you can get TV through it. Is that correct? Do you need a separate aerial?

If you have factory fitted satnav, I believe you can get TV through it. Is that correct? Do you need a separate aerial?
It needs a separate module for the TV tuner. As the TV stations are broadcast on a different frequency to radio, it would need a separate aerial for optimum reception.

I don't know what the module costs but it is probably more than you can buy a 48" domestic TV for!

And the SATNAV screen is pretty rubbish!

Motacyclist - Dub Freeze reception was unbelievable - 150+ channels - bonkers!!

Stafford must have the best reception area in the UK for some reason.

And the SATNAV screen is pretty rubbish!
Not just the screen's rubbish, it's not intuitive and is slow to respond to input. The sound quality is OK though.

Thanks.

Thanks.
I've done thisView media item 469View media item 471View media item 470

I won't be carrying a sat dish in my Cali , but this is a very good solution to connect the outer sat dish to the decoder!
Nice pice of DIY!

Back