TV When Camping

vale46

vale46

forum co ordinator
VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
i know this might upset a few people but I love nothing better than curling up in the cali to watch tv.
I am off to France this summer and don't want to miss my soaps so my question is has anyone tried one of these portable satellite dishes?

IMG_0915.JPG

i know this might upset a few people but I love nothing better than curling up in the cali to watch tv.
I am off to France this summer and don't want to miss my soaps so my question is has anyone tried one of these portable satellite dishes?

View attachment 23597
I am not into TV or soaps (I haven't got a TV at home either) however I had the chance to try Netflix and i think this is a good solution. Would this be an option for you?

Thanks all for your help I will look into it further. While I'm on the subject does anyone have a wifi extender?

Thanks all for your help I will look into it further. While I'm on the subject does anyone have a wifi extender?
Check this one:
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/4g-in-the-cali.14046/

or @WelshGas (he wrote a great review!):
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/motorhome-wifi-iboost.10231/

I myself use one of these:
8d9f35f8f0da5273e72e07022337baf2.jpg

This has prompted me to have a look at the connectivity issue again as shortly off to France and beyond.
I'm fairly techie but with so many changes in this area I'm losing it.
Firstly my setup.
I have a VW car stick plugged into glovebox USB that has a data sim from Three. This gives the Cali the ability to connect to carnet and I can use it as a wifi hot spot in an emergency, as it's limited though would not use for streaming.

Next I have an iPhone with all you can eat data through Three again which gives me 30gb of tethering although I suspect this is not available outside U.K.

I therefore would like to connect to campsite wifi whilst abroad and my experience so far in the U.K. Is that this is limited. Correct me if I'm wrong but best route for this seems to be iboost as per posts by Welshgas and others.

https://www.motorhomewifi.com/product/iboost-d8-directional-system/

If so I will bite the bullet and buy it.

Next issue is boosting my current iPhone to give it more chance of connecting to a 3G 4G signal. I already have the compartment in the Cali which supposedly boosts this but no doubt there is a gadget made for this.
Any ideas ?

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Some or all of the three data should be available in Europe. I use a second 3 sim in my dual sim phone and tether that all over Europe no problem. I also have a second one in a Huaweii mifi device with the same Europe wide coverage.

Next issue is boosting my current iPhone to give it more chance of connecting to a 3G 4G signal. I already have the compartment in the Cali which supposedly boosts this but no doubt there is a gadget made for this.
Any ideas ?

Mike

Hello Mike

I just googled this question and found this page http://www.iphoneness.com/iphone-accessories/best-signal-boosters-for-iphone/

Might be some help are at least you know where to get more intel.

Last edited:
To get uk TV even if u have wifi would you also need a vpn? Maybe the dish is the way to go if it will work!

Look up Roadpro online . The portable Multimo dish system works well as we used this for several years.

This has prompted me to have a look at the connectivity issue again as shortly off to France and beyond.
Firstly my setup.
I have a VW car stick plugged into glovebox USB that has a data sim from Three. This gives the Cali the ability to connect to carnet and I can use it as a wifi hot spot in an emergency, as it's limited though would not use for streaming.

Next I have an iPhone with all you can eat data through Three again which gives me 30gb of tethering although I suspect this is not available outside U.K.

I therefore would like to connect to campsite wifi whilst abroad and my experience so far in the U.K. Is that this is limited. Correct me if I'm wrong but best route for this seems to be iboost as per posts by Welshgas and others.

Any ideas ?

Mike

On a Three phone/sim only contract you're only allowed to use 12gb of data before you're charged. Tethering is also not allowed.

http://www.three.co.uk/support/roaming/france

On a Three phone/sim only contract you're only allowed to use 12gb of data before you're charged. Tethering is also not allowed.

http://www.three.co.uk/support/roaming/france

12gb a month, a week, a day? I think a month and that that is quite a lot. If it's in a mifi device it's not tethered and I buy data only cards not a mobile pay monthly contract. Like this:

https://www.mymemory.co.uk/3-payg-4g-trio-data-sim-pack-incl-12gb-data.html

12gb and lasts up to a year.

Firstly my setup.

Any ideas ?

Mike

I have 3 MiFi that has been brilliant in most of France and Belgium. I also tether to my I phone which runs on Vodafone and again no problem.

I have 3 MiFi that has been brilliant in most of France and Belgium. I also tether to my I phone which runs on Vodafone and again no problem.
My 3 Mifi worked well in France, Belgium, Holland, Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Norway and Germany as well as the USA and Australia. My phone tethers to it as does my wife's iPhone + iPad and Apple Laptop.
Just buy 12GB cards that last for 12 months from activation.
I seem to be using my iBoost to log on to Fon or Campsite WiFi less and less and only when there is a poor Mobile signal as the campsites in these areas use landlines. So all basis covered.

I have never had a Mifi device and I won't bore everyone with why I want to do this but I would like to enable permanent wifi to a device in the Cali.
I suspect a Mifi which powers off the 12 volt is the way to go but I would rather not be drawing power. So how long do they as a ballpark figure keep a charge if just sat on but dormant. ?
There will be a device paired with it but not active unless I ask it to be.

Mike

I have never had a Mifi device and I won't bore everyone with why I want to do this but I would like to enable permanent wifi to a device in the Cali.
I suspect a Mifi which powers off the 12 volt is the way to go but I would rather not be drawing power. So how long do they as a ballpark figure keep a charge if just sat on but dormant. ?
There will be a device paired with it but not active unless I ask it to be.

Mike

Mike if you go to the Three website and look at the tech specs for the mifi you will see that the E5573 has an operating period of four hours and a standby of up to 300 hours.

Last edited:
Mike if you go to the Three website and look at the tech specs for the mifi you will see that the E5573 has an operating period of four hours and a standby of 300 hours.
Thanks. Read stuff about 4-5 hours in a couple of places but not the standby times.

Mike

i know this might upset a few people but I love nothing better than curling up in the cali to watch TV.

View attachment 23597
Before this trip away I bought an August DVB-t 405. We wanted to be able to see the last hours of each stage of the Tour. So far its been working surprisingly well. Was disappointed initially but after a retune it found ITV4 happy days. It's standard definition but only viewing on a iPad so problems. No idea if this will work outside UK but for the rare occasion i.e. big sports occasions, it will be ideal.
Some sites also have a place where you can plug in the aerial cable?

..me..

Another of the things that we took on our trip but never used. We took a few box sets to while away idle evenings in the Cali - but we didn't have any.

The only TV we watched at all was bits of one episode of Pitch Battle coz two of my kids were in it but we just watched that on iPlayer on the iPad.

Back