Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tyre pressure warning light.

California124

California124

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi everybody just like to introduce myself having took delivery of my new California SE a few days ago ( Natural Grey 180 DSG) with extras. I decided to give it a run on Sunday to the lakes Cumbria, superb drive out but on the way back tyre pressure warning light came on after about 60 miles down the motorway so I pulled into the services and found no problem with the tyres or pressures. I checked the handbook and it says this can happen within the first 500 miles of the new tyres and just do a reset. The problem is the handbook says the reset button is on the centre column near the gear lever. I looked for the button but cannot find it or am l missing something. I also have a multifunction steering wheel so is it on that, can anybody help before l take it back to the dealers only to look a fool.

You need to go into the menu on the little display between the speedo and rev dials. Using the right hand buttons on the MFSW, scroll across to settings and then use the up or down arrow to find tyre pressures (it's in there somewhere!) and you can set/reset the pressures from there. I think the handbook is out of date for that as mine doesn't have a tyre pressure button on the centre column either.

Maud

Ditto - same thing happened to us less than 50 miles on the clock ... reset via steering wheel button menu.

You need to go into the menu on the little display between the speedo and rev dials. Using the right hand buttons on the MFSW, scroll across to settings and then use the up or down arrow to find tyre pressures (it's in there somewhere!) and you can set/reset the pressures from there. I think the handbook is out of date for that as mine doesn't have a tyre pressure button on the centre column either.

Maud
Thanks l will try it tomorrow and let you know, and yes l think the handbook is out of date.

Ditto - same thing happened to us less than 50 miles on the clock ... reset via steering wheel button menu.
Thanks will try tomorrow. The neighbours may start talking if l try it now, already spent too much time playing with it on the drive.:embarrased

I would just check the tyre pressures first before doing a reset. The warning light comes on if there is a pressure change of 10% or more.
It doesn't actually measure the pressures but uses the ABS sensors to measure the wheel rotation speed as the rolling diameter and hence speed of rotation varies with the tyre pressure.
It might not have been reset from delivery. On my handover the salesman showed me and did it on handover.
Have fun. I'm still learning on mine. Playing around with the Voice control of the RNS510 at present so talking to myself as I drive along.:bananadance

Hooray the Bananas are back.

Remember you have to check tyre pressures when tyres are cold as possible.

Thanks to everyone who replied. I went out this morning checked all the tyre pressures and they are all ok, l then did the reset as instructed and the light has gone out thankyou. I should have checked with the forum instead of the out of date (2 week old) handbook.

Thanks to everyone who replied. I went out this morning checked all the tyre pressures and they are all ok, l then did the reset as instructed and the light has gone out thankyou. I should have checked with the forum instead of the out of date (2 week old) handbook.
Hi California 124
As like you I have just spent a lot of time trying to find how to turn that warning light of after checking the tyre pressures on my Beach and inserting a bit of air to each tyre. As has been stated the hand book relating to resetting is of no use whatsover
I then went to the Forum and as usual it came up trumps
So thanks from me to all that gave advice especially Welsh Gas who is a font of knowledge

Hi - the warning light on my cali keeps indicating that there is a pressure loss on the rear right hand tyre - but each time I check it is normal or near normal and I reset the indicator.

Does this indicate a different problem I should check?

Hi - the warning light on my cali keeps indicating that there is a pressure loss on the rear right hand tyre - but each time I check it is normal or near normal and I reset the indicator.

Does this indicate a different problem I should check?
Which system have you got?
There are 2 systems.
The Basic uses the ABS sensors to measure wheel rotation speed. A pressure loss alters the wheel rotational speed, but normally shows other warning lights if the ABS sensor is failing.

The more advanced system uses pressure sensors in each wheel that communicate by wifi to give individual wheel pressures normally or just which wheel has lost pressure. These individual sensors can fail.

These sensors are fitted with an internal battery, however, battery failure is the main reason TPMSs stop working. The more miles you do, the quicker the sensor will run down. Unfortunately, for them to work properly, they need to be sealed units – so you can’t simply replace the battery when it runs out.

Which system have you got?
There are 2 systems.
The Basic uses the ABS sensors to measure wheel rotation speed. A pressure loss alters the wheel rotational speed, but normally shows other warning lights if the ABS sensor is failing.

The more advanced system uses pressure sensors in each wheel that communicate by wifi to give individual wheel pressures normally or just which wheel has lost pressure. These individual sensors can fail.

These sensors are fitted with an internal battery, however, battery failure is the main reason TPMSs stop working. The more miles you do, the quicker the sensor will run down. Unfortunately, for them to work properly, they need to be sealed units – so you can’t simply replace the battery when it runs out.
Thank you. I am not sure what system i have. It is 18 reg Cali with 40,000 miles. It clearly does indicate which tyre has lost pressure which maybe suggests that it may be the more advanced system.

Can you point me to any links about how to check or replace the sealed units?

Thank you

Mark

Thank you. I am not sure what system i have. It is 18 reg Cali with 40,000 miles. It clearly does indicate which tyre has lost pressure which maybe suggests that it may be the more advanced system.

Can you point me to any links about how to check or replace the sealed units?

Thank you

Mark
The sensor is a sealed unit, integral with the valve, so the tyre has to be removed.
This is what it looks like, available eBay, Amazon and VW.

B2F716E4-2669-4F2F-BB21-0761E2C29002.jpeg
I suppose the easiest way to check is swap wheels front to back if you have Directional tyres or side to side if you have Asymmetric tyres. The error should then move on the Display.

Last edited:
The sensor is a sealed unit, integral with the valve, so the tyre has to be removed.
This is what it looks like, available eBay, Amazon and VW.

View attachment 99450
I suppose the easiest way to check is swap wheels front to back if you have Directional tyres or side to side if you have Asymmetric tyres. The error should then move on the Display.
If it is an 18 reg, quite unlikely that it will have active tpms. It will be the break sensor failing.

If it does, the correct part is this on ebay Screenshot_20220918-071811.png

Back