Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

No Spare Wheel on Berghaus

T

timhutch

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
My lack of spare wheel on the Berghaus with 18" Dakar wheels has always vexed me.

I want to look at sourcing all of the hardware to re-instate the under carriage mounted spare, and carry a standard steelie of the same O/D as the Dakar. Has anyone done this?

This matter could be further complicated as I have a removable towbar fitted...???

Any thoughts?

Yes Tim some of the berg boys are currently doing this as I am ,but you will have to ask stu about the tow bar as I know he has one fitted ...
The carriage costs about £60ish and then a 17" steelie & tyre ...
I have part numbers at home for carriage parts if needed Tim

Tim,

I do have the tow bar but as yet have not fitted the spare wheel carrier or a wheel.

The parts I have, and the ones I think you need, are as follows -

• Spacer Sleeve - 701 801 913 - x2 - £3.60
    Bracket - 7H0 801 903B - X1 - £34.00
    Pin - 7H0 801 949 - x1 - £1.27
    Bush - 7H0 801 917C - x1 - £5.23
    Hex Bolt - 701 801 651A - x1 - £8.19
    Screw - WHT 003 473 - x1 - £4.71

All prices each and plus VAT.

Top one stu ... I would have posted parts ,but didn't have then to hand ..
My parts are still in the garage waiting to on ... Lol

Stu said:
Tim,

I do have the tow bar but as yet have not fitted the spare wheel carrier or a wheel.

The parts I have, and the ones I think you need, are as follows -

• Spacer Sleeve - 701 801 913 - x2 - £3.60
    Bracket - 7H0 801 903B - X1 - £34.00
    Pin - 7H0 801 949 - x1 - £1.27
    Bush - 7H0 801 917C - x1 - £5.23
    Hex Bolt - 701 801 651A - x1 - £8.19
    Screw - WHT 003 473 - x1 - £4.71

All prices each and plus VAT.

Cheers Fellas! Much obliged to you.

Last question - excuse my ignorance - is there a jack bundled up under the bed with the compressor etc? Should have checked really, but it's snowing outside....

Tim

Give Steve in our parts department a call and he will be able to help.

cheers

My cradle parts are also waiting for warmer weather...

The jack is behind the rear seat in the plastic container with your removable towbar

Simon

smgcowfold said:
Give Steve in our parts department a call and he will be able to help.

cheers

Will do - thanks Alex. I guess you can also source a wheel/tyre for me too.

We can get a new wheel and tyre for you at the same time yes.

cheers

Further to my post above I have now fitted my spare wheel and can report that the parts listed above are correct with one amendment which is

Bush - 7H0 801 917C - x2 - £5.23

fitted my spare carrier & wheel at the weekend ,as the sun came out and now feel better knowing i can junk that tyre weld crap now and that if i have a side wall blow out i don't have to use duck tape or get dragged onto a truck ..... :thumb :thumb

choplee said:
fitted my spare carrier & wheel at the weekend ,as the sun came out and now feel better knowing i can junk that tyre weld crap now and that if i have a side wall blow out i don't have to use duck tape or get dragged onto a truck ..... :thumb :thumb

Was it all straight forward?

I'm gonna order the parts and a wheel.

Did you use a 17" steelie?

timhutch said:
I'm gonna order the parts and a wheel.

Did you use a 17" steelie?

Yes Tim 17" steelie ....
Make sure on the list u have the 2 bushes that stu has pointed out ...

Any worries drop me a pm

Lee does your man still have any wheels??

Maybe a better option for Tim if another 3 victims want to opt in on a full set.

Re reading the thread I can answer the towbar bit - no great issue at all, just slide the spare from the side rather than directly out of the rear.

So my 'kit' from SMG is missing the two spacers and has only one of the wrong bush (i have 917B)
I presume that is not right for the our spare tyres Lee/Stu?
I have locking bolt ZGB 701 071 592e in place of 701 801 651a - is that bit right at least?

I'll give my local VW garage parts dept. a call tomorrow for the missing parts...

Simon

My spare and parts fitted like a glove in a few mins on the berghaus ;-)

There maybe more wheels if 4 victims want them ...

Just off the phone with my local dealer. They are insistent that 7HO 801 917B is the correct bush for 215 tyres (Which Stu, Lee and I have) and that 701 801 917C is for 235 tyres...

Simon

I don't think it matters Simon.

I went for the largest sized one so that I would be less likely to squash the tyre and damage the side walls.

Stu said:
I don't think it matters Simon.

I went for the largest sized one so that I would be less likely to squash the tyre and damage the side walls.

So, if you have to swap an 18" Dakar for the 215 spare, does that mean the Dakar can't go into the carrier? Is that why they are removed from the Bergs?

A good point, what size are our tyres??

There is quite a lot of slack as there is the metal bush and the rubber bush, the rubber bush appears to be there just to protect the screw threads. The metal bush can slide into the rubber bush.

Stu said:
A good point, what size are our tyres??

There is quite a lot of slack as there is the metal bush and the rubber bush, the rubber bush appears to be there just to protect the screw threads. The metal bush can slide into the rubber bush.

Our tyres are 255/45/18 so quite a bit wider.

I've not even seen the spare wheel bracket yet, yet alone fit one, but I'm sure our resident expert will figure it out. Thanks Stu :help

It'll be flat when it goes in at least, which will make it compress nicely.... :?

Back