Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tyre sizes

Got the Agillis crossclimate fitted today, just wondered what pressure people run them at, I ask as they are rated at 109 but the sticker on the door for 215/60 17 is for 104/102. Sticker recommends 54 54. Do these pressure still apply to the Crossclimate?

7C6757D6-F2B6-446E-8577-83C6762797D8.jpeg

Got the Agillis crossclimate fitted today, just wondered what pressure people run them at, I ask as they are rated at 109 but the sticker on the door for 215/60 17 is for 104/102. Sticker recommends 54 54. Do these pressure still apply to the Crossclimate?

View attachment 87542
I have found 50 works nicely. Play around and see what suits you but I have a mostly empty beach normally with max 2 people in.

I have found 50 works nicely. Play around and see what suits you but I have a mostly empty beach normally with max 2 people in.
Can I ask why 50 works nicely for you, what are you looking for (play around) that determines what the pressure you decide on, sorry if this is a stupid question

Can I ask why 50 works nicely for you, what are you looking for (play around) that determines what the pressure you decide on, sorry if this is a stupid question
no problem. I find the ride at that pressure is comfortable, absorbs bumps and potholes which we have plenty of at this time of year, whilst providing a predictable feel on the road, ie no evidence of the tyres rolling on the rim which would give a less direct feeling in the steering. I also used some man logic on the fact that the van is unladen most of the time and therefore I do not need to be on maximum weight therefore higher pressure unless we are packed up for camping.

I haven't done much experimentation other than a couple of changes while driving, so in part its also about how long the local garage air pump takes to get to pressure. I haven't had the tyres on long enough to see if there is any adverse wear. I have dropped the pressure down while playing around on tracks and the tyres do hold up well until really quite deflated. Cornering safely would be the first thing I would notice and force a change for more air. what pressure did the fitting centre put in when they installed?

54 51 But we have a ocean thats got a Cali tray in the back with heavy stuff on it, so I was thinking 54 54 might be a good start point. I have to say driving back from the fitters it did think it felt grippier than the factory fit

I'd tend to go with @Tarquers 50psi. Door plate pressures are guides.

If the higher 54 psi used and you feel every manhole/pothole then drop one psi at a time until you feel happy and comfortable with the ride.

Check with cold tyres. Pressure indicated is dependent on both air temp. and barometric pressure (isobars). eg todays 50psi could be 54psi in summer. (gauge readings)

Great I will 50 all round a go .. thanks

Very helpful thread for me thank you all

• Crossclimate are 4 season tires, with the "3PMSF" label. They are ok for driving in winter on mountain roads in France.
  • Latitude Cross are on and off-road summer tire for 4x4 and SUV. Very good tires but not approved for snow and winter in French mountains for example.
Just got my latitude cross tyres fitted today and they have the M + S mark so not just a summer tyre.
Won’t know what they are like to drive with for awhile as there for new van.886D7044-8E21-4E8C-81D9-D4651C1390FD.png

Just got my latitude cross tyres fitted today and they have the M + S mark so not just a summer tyre.
Won’t know what they are like to drive with for awhile as there for new van.View attachment 87580
You may not be legal for winter tire requirements unless you have the three peak snowflake symbol, which the different Crossclimate models have. Perhaps you don't need this.

Last edited:
You may not be legal for winter tire requirements unless you have the three peak snowflake symbol, which the different Crossclimate models have. Perhaps you don't need this.

Edit, EU specific:

Last edited:
Looking at the Latitude Cross tyre tread it seems odd that it doesn't get the 3Peaks.

Looks like a good option if not going to any Country that requires the full winter rating.

Won’t know what they are like to drive with for awhile as there for new van.View attachment 87580
Think this from Michelin is the definitive on marked tyre v an 3PMSF marked tyre.

What meets specific Country and local state, prefecture requirements for winter use is also detailed.

Looking at the Latitude Cross tyre tread it seems odd that it doesn't get the 3Peaks.

Looks like a good option if not going to any Country that requires the full winter rating.

Since Michelin describes it as a summer tire, I would guess that it has a tread pattern that would give grip in snow and mud on a relatively mild to cold day, but the rubber composition would become hard and and lose traction if the weather turned bad and dropped below freezing.

This may help for country specific rules:

Since Michelin describes it as a summer tire, I would guess that it has a tread pattern that would give grip in snow and mud on a relatively mild to cold day, but the rubber composition would become hard and and lose traction if the weather turned bad and dropped below freezing.
If you do a review search you will find actual users who extol the performance in snow plus wet/muddy conditions.

Only actual Winter tyres will perform at their best in sub zero temperatures. All Season tyres will be outside their primary design spec. below zero also.
You need to delve into a particular tyre data sheet to find it's performance range.

Unless you follow the example of F1 race teams and have a range of tyres to suit the conditions on any given day it's a compromise as to what your average use will require.

EA273692-E9E7-4ECF-AAC3-700F3A2A5041.jpegB27BA36E-D744-47FD-A189-D2B82258D9D0.jpeg6FB01BA9-D256-473E-9CD8-20604A29B95A.jpegBC374D5F-3463-428B-AAEE-685299AA016D.jpeg
If you do a review search you will find actual users who extol the performance in snow plus wet/muddy conditions.

Only actual Winter tyres will perform at their best in sub zero temperatures. All Season tyres will be outside their primary design spec. below zero also.
You need to delve into a particular tyre data sheet to find it's performance range.

Unless you follow the example of F1 race teams and have a range of tyres to suit the conditions on any given day it's a compromise as to what your average use will require.
Because of their specific cold temperature properties the CC Agilis are recognized as winter tires throughout Europe. I''ve been using them for two winters now to access the amazing Baqueira ski area in the central Pyrenees. Access from the Catalan side is by the Port de Bonaigua pass, a narrow winding road famous from the Tour de France that rises to 2000m. I've done it early in the morning in fresh snow and ice at -10C with chains required posted and didn't need them.

Obviously an actual winter tire will exceed the performance of an all season tire, I only mention this to point out that tire technology has taken a leap in the last couple of years to a point that three peak snowflake all season tires are now capable of doing what winter tires did only a few years ago.

My Bridgestone Blizzak full winters lasted 50,000km of year round use (they got slapped on by the German dealer when I bought the van from them as a demo). I'm curious to see how long these last. 10,000km so far.

Last edited:
I wanted stronger side wall tyres what have off road ability and needed to be suitable for 3.2t joker.
The latitude cross ticked them boxes. Correct size and better fuel eco than my BFG too.
Fuel was c rated compared to F on my BFG.

They will hopefully be the right choice for me, I can’t see me wintering in eu for awhile so not worried.

I was just putting this option out there for people thinking of going down BFG route, I think these will be a better option.

A point that I noted when doing a tread depth check on my CrossClimate SUV tyres when new was that they only had 7mm depth. Expected 8mm.
Now that I have become aware of this I've done a bit of delving and found that tread depth equites to increased fuel consumption due to tread movement creating drag.
A browse at new tread depths showed that Michelin CrossClimates were the lowest with Goodyear & Continental being the highest in Premium Brands.

For confirmation the new depth is shown on here, scroll down to Overall results ->

A point that I noted when doing a tread depth check on my CrossClimate SUV tyres when new was that they only had 7mm depth. Expected 8mm.
Now that I have become aware of this I've done a bit of delving and found that tread depth equites to increased fuel consumption due to tread movement creating drag.
A browse at new tread depths showed that Michelin CrossClimates were the lowest with Goodyear & Continental being the highest in Premium Brands.

For confirmation the new depth is shown on here, scroll down to Overall results ->

And as I discovered the depth is not uniform over the whole width. Good year Vectors I had fitted yesterday are 7.7mm in the centre wear markers but 6.5mm on the markers closer to the edges.

Back