Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tyre Wear Pattern

Custardtart

Custardtart

My first set of tyres (OE Dunlops) lasted about 9000 miles despite very careful driving.

The middle and outside of the fronts had 2mm of tread but the insides were literally down to the carcass - took me by surprise on a 2000 mile in 2 weeks holiday.

(Actually it's not right on the inner edge but just about 12mm in from that.)

When the tyres were replaced by VW the tracking was checked at the front and was ok.

I'm watching the next set and it's early days but I think the the same is happening.

Is this normal?

Currently my van has 17" thunders with 235/55 tyres.

Tyre-wear.JPG

I would say not normal. My original OE dunlops did not wear that excessively on the inside & I got 16000 miles out of them.
Have you had a full geometry check ? caster & camber ? Are they correctly inflated ?

I've just replaced my fronts (Dunlop) at 18k. Very even wear and with probably another 1k in them. I would look at getting yours laser aligned.

Thanks for the replies. Booked into VW for full alignment check later this week.

Well had 4 wheel alignment done and they found the front to be toeing out nearly 1 degree. Not huge but out of spec (should be toeing in 0.17 degrees)

Bit of a shame as when I replaced the tyres in the picture I asked for a simple front wheel tracking check and was told it was spot on.

New tyres started wearing in same place as the originals and now it's found to be toeing out.

Still - glad something has been found - hopefully I can make a set of tyres last more than 10k now.

Thanks again for the replies.

Simple tracking checks will often be in spec and are not a good indication of correct alignment.

Looks like you need a full camber and caster check. The bigger Kwik Fit outlets will be able to do this within an hour for you.

The same thing happened to my front tires... I only found out a couple of weeks ago. I now need to buy a set of tyres for the front, although from the outside the tyres seem to have a lot of rubber left. I have 235/55 R17 103W tyres.

Back