Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Uig Sands, Isle of Lewis, Outer Hebrides

barry

barry

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Has anybody pitched up with their Cali at Uig Sands?
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
TIA

Not quite Uig but we camped next to the beach at Kneep five years ago. It was stunning. We had to drive 5 miles to visit Mrs such and such to give her £5 though - for the upkeep of the toilets! Simply stunning...

Not quite Uig but we camped next to the beach at Kneep five years ago. It was stunning. We had to drive 5 miles to visit Mrs such and such to give her £5 though - for the upkeep of the toilets! Simply stunning...

Sounds good.
Only a few miles from Uig.
We might spend a bit of time at both.
Thanks.

We visited but didn't stay 5 years ago. We wished we'd had time to stay - it's fantastic. Memories of my introduction to canoe surfing here when I was 16.

There are lots of reviews on-line. The most likey problem is that it is now too well known!

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/reviews.asp?revid=6494

Mmmm might be busy, then.
Just looked at the reviews, thanks.

This is an area we don't know at all so we thought we'd spend a few days here while on our war further south for a stay at Scarista House which is a favourite of ours.

(Canoe surfing? Brings back memories from my youth more than 50 years ago!)

Has anybody pitched up with their Cali at Uig Sands?
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
TIA
This is where we went the last time we were up there, not sure where Uig Sands is though. My wife used to keep a log then, so if there's anywhere on this map of interest I will look up what she wrote.
IMG_1210.PNG

Mmmm might be busy, then.
Just looked at the reviews, thanks.

This is an area we don't know at all so we thought we'd spend a few days here while on our war further south for a stay at Scarista House which is a favourite of ours.

(Canoe surfing? Brings back memories from my youth more than 50 years ago!)
I wouldn't worry about it being too crowded in general Barry. We wild camped for two weeks around the outer isles. We just kept our eyes open for likely looking stops and went back to a suitable one each evening. We mostly had some amazing locations entirely to ourselves. The only place that was a bit crowded was the bar (Community Hall) on Vatersay but even there we found a good spot.

Visited two years ago so info might be a bit dated. We followed the B8011 past Miavaig keeping left to run parallel with Uig Sands. Look for a right turn (S/P The Chessmen or something similar). Follow the single-track road to the end where you can park on the dunes overlooking the beach. A low wooden barrier had been erected to stop access to part of the dunes (possibly due to erosion) but there was still plenty of room to park with a stunning view to wake up to. Well worth the effort of getting there. Enjoy.

Thanks Bill 'n Looby.

Like the sound of the Scallop Shack.
It'll be (next) Sunday pm when we pass it so it might be shut.
But we're taking the bikes so cycling back next day might be called for.
[From the OS it doesn't look as though there's much bike climbing which is a good thing cos we're old.]

When we were on Barra last we had scallop pakora and had to wait while the bucket of scallops was brought up from the boat to the restaurant. The combination of tastes sounds odd but the sweetness of the scallops and the spicy nature of the batter simply works.

Thanks Bill 'n Looby.

Like the sound of the Scallop Shack.
It'll be (next) Sunday pm when we pass it so it might be shut.
But we're taking the bikes so cycling back next day might be called for.
[From the OS it doesn't look as though there's much bike climbing which is a good thing cos we're old.]

When we were on Barra last we had scallop pakora and had to wait while the bucket of scallops was brought up from the boat to the restaurant. The combination of tastes sounds odd but the sweetness of the scallops and the spicy nature of the batter simply works.
Were they on the main st in Castle bay?
You remind me of them from 5 or 6 years ago.
What a lovely place Barra is. We flew in and landed on the beach.
Great fun.

Visited two years ago so info might be a bit dated. We followed the B8011 past Miavaig keeping left to run parallel with Uig Sands. Look for a right turn (S/P The Chessmen or something similar). Follow the single-track road to the end where you can park on the dunes overlooking the beach. A low wooden barrier had been erected to stop access to part of the dunes (possibly due to erosion) but there was still plenty of room to park with a stunning view to wake up to. Well worth the effort of getting there. Enjoy.
We stayed here 22 years ago in a little tent.
We walked over the sands to find the sea, it was really flat.
It was about 4 miles until we found it!
We flew a kite on the beach and nose dived it straight into the sand.
It was never the same again and I only chuked it away 2 weekends ago!
This was another one you had to put the money in a box by the road miles away.
Luskentyre is another magical place to visit.
Hmm, might have to go and track down the photo's....

Were they on the main st in Castle bay?
You remind me of them from 5 or 6 years ago.
What a lovely place Barra is. We flew in and landed on the beach.
Great fun.

Yes the restaurant/cafe was on Main St overlooking the bay.
Good bottled beer which we drank quite a lot of watching the scallop diver's boat coming in.
The guy who owns the cafe is from India: he pitched up in Castle Bay years ago, met a local girl, and sort of stayed.
We'll not go down as far as Barra on this trip but we hear the newish site for vans is excellent. It was in its early stages a couple of years ago but's worth a visit now I'm told.

We stayed here 22 years ago in a little tent.
We walked over the sands to find the sea, it was really flat.
It was about 4 miles until we found it!
We flew a kite on the beach and nose dived it straight into the sand.
It was never the same again and I only chuked it away 2 weekends ago!
This was another one you had to put the money in a box by the road miles away.
Luskentyre is another magical place to visit.
Hmm, might have to go and track down the photo's....

Officionados regard Luskentyre Beach as the UK's best and I think they're right.
I was amused at your kite story: I think everyone who goes to the OHs takes one and we've wrecked several trying to fly them in the high winds. We're taking an iridescent yellow one this time so we can find it when it breaks free.
One of the tweed weavers in Luskentyre was filmed in Paul Fegan's "Where you're meant to be" providing the rhythm for a tune my younger son wrote and played in the film. The film's on in the Edinburgh International Festival next month. It's excellent and will win prizes :)

Officionados regard Luskentyre Beach as the UK's best and I think they're right.
I was amused at your kite story: I think everyone who goes to the OHs takes one and we've wrecked several trying to fly them in the high winds. We're taking an iridescent yellow one this time so we can find it when it breaks free.
One of the tweed weavers in Luskentyre was filmed in Paul Fegan's "Where you're meant to be" providing the rhythm for a tune my younger son wrote and played in the film. The film's on in the Edinburgh International Festival next month. It's excellent and will win prizes :)
How wonderful! I hope you are going to see it?

Barry,
Just go, it's great! Forget Kneep, allegedly the weekend party destination for Stornoway youngsters, if you go to Uig you'll find 'full facility wild camping ' for £2pppn, courtesy of the local grazing committee. Parking for 8 vans, ladies and gents, two showers and washing up room, all via an honesty box. Beach is 30 seconds away. Amazing! We were there in June and it was great, just be prepared to be self contained for food and drink, that's all. You pass a great little shop on the way in.
Cheers!
Ian

Barry,
Just go, it's great! Forget Kneep, allegedly the weekend party destination for Stornoway youngsters, if you go to Uig you'll find 'full facility wild camping ' for £2pppn, courtesy of the local grazing committee. Parking for 8 vans, ladies and gents, two showers and washing up room, all via an honesty box. Beach is 30 seconds away. Amazing! We were there in June and it was great, just be prepared to be self contained for food and drink, that's all. You pass a great little shop on the way in.
Cheers!
Ian

Just on way back from Outer Hebrides, Ian.
Oban-Stornaway ferrytrip was flat (a first for us).
A major storm over Uig on first night: driving rain for 24 hours. Worst we've experienced.
A very warm day 2, tops off shorts on. Brilliant walk around the massive beach.
A little lad 5ish saying to his dad "the beach's full of sand but NO WAVES, dad, NO WAVES"
The tide was out: about a mile out!
There was a serious electrical storm the next night: noise lasting 20 secs a peal and flashes many seconds. The beach was lit up with the lightening from 12 to 3 but the photos are crap, unfortunately.
A crazy mixture of weather for 4 days!
But yes: an amazing place

We then spent a couple of days R&R at Scarista House on Harris which although pricy is a favourite of ours, then moved on to North Uist and Skye. The nice old guy who ran the site at Dunvegan on Skye has died but a younger family member has taken and although she doesn't drink quite as much whisky as the old man, she's doing fine.

Bottom line - Scarista House AND NOW Uig Sands is on our "when in the Outer Hebrides" definitely do list