UK Sales of Californias

Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky

Forever young (ish!)
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
According to reports from the VW UK Product Manager, Alice Halliwell, VW sold 868 Calis in 2016 of which 616 were Oceans the remainder being Beaches "........and its never been more popular." According to MMM. Just a note of interest!

868 at an average cost of say £45k is £39,060,000.
WOW!
And people say there's no money to be made selling Calis.
I know you have to take VAT and taxes off that total.
And people who have bought them on the never never.
And don't forget any discounts.
Blimey VW must be nearly broke. No wonder they can't afford a decent roof repair campaign.

Last edited:
Are you sure those are correct numbers?
Imo the Beach is more popular than the Ocean ....at least on numbers on the forum ...

Last edited:
Yes, I read the article too. Also surprised at the high percentage of Ocean sales.

So on those stats, and assuming a Cali lasts say 20 years, and 245,800 miles of UK roads, and a Cali is on the road for say 300 daylight hours per year, and you only wave a vans coming towards you, you should expect a wave rate of once per 413 miles.

I wave much more than that so my maths must be wrong or we are herd animals.

[EDIT] (Yes before someone says it:) Or I'm waving at a lot of plumber's vans with pipe tubes on the side. Should have gone to Spec Savers,

Last edited:
According to reports from the VW UK Product Manager, Alice Halliwell, VW sold 868 Calis in 2016 of which 616 were Oceans the remainder being Beaches "........and its never been more popular." According to MMM. Just a note of interest!
Backs up what my dealer said. More Oceans than Beach sales which he said had specific buyers.

Are you sure those are correct numbers?
Imo the Beach is more popular than the Ocean ....at least on numbers on the forum ...
Wim, I am reliably informed that the numbers came from the California Product Manager of VW UK. JW

So on those stats, and assuming a Cali lasts say 20 years, and 245,800 miles of UK roads, and a Cali is on the road for say 300 daylight hours per year, and you only wave a vans coming towards you, you should expect a wave rate of once per 413 miles.

[EDIT] (Yes before someone says it:) Or I'm waving at a lot of plumber's vans with pipe tubes on the side. Should have gone to Spec Savers,
You also have far to much time on your hands ;)

average cost of say £45k
If 75% are Oceans I suspect that the average cost may well be closer to £50K.

assuming a Cali lasts say 20 years
That means there are approx 20,000 Calis on the road. This forum has over 10,000 members. I know that we also have lots of "looking to buy' and 'waiting for deliver' - but even so, thats an impressive statistic. Wish I could corner 50% of my customer base at work.

gives in insight on delays relating to delivery.
VW build the base van then 2-3 weeks to convert plus moving it about pre delivery.

I would imagine that many opt for the Combi instead of a Beach which isn't something that could be easily confirmed, just a thought.

gives in insight on delays relating to delivery.
VW build the base van then 2-3 weeks to convert plus moving it about pre delivery.

I would imagine that many opt for the Combi instead of a Beach which isn't something that could be easily confirmed, just a thought.
Yup - I've got a friend who felt he didn't need the elevating roof so has a combi with minimal outfitting.

If 75% are Oceans I suspect that the average cost may well be closer to £50K.

That means there are approx 20,000 Calis on the road. This forum has over 10,000 members. I know that we also have lots of "looking to buy' and 'waiting for deliver' - but even so, thats an impressive statistic. Wish I could corner 50% of my customer base at work.
There are currently about 9,600 Calis registered at DVLA (as at Nov/Dec last year). Also we should not forget that some members are not Cali owners and never will be whatever their status tells us. For example how many VW employees are members, Dealer Salesmen, Dealer Sales Managers, etc etc. even aspiring Marco Polo sales people........we should not forget that our forum is a great source of intel to owners and non owners what ever their intentions.

868 at an average cost of say £45k is £39,060,000.
WOW!
And people say there's no money to be made selling Calis.
I know you have to take VAT and taxes off that total.
That's a sale number. What percentage of people buy them on the never-never? Quite high ? So in other words VW haven't taken in that amount of cash.

I just wave at pretty much any vow transporter - and then get told off by my husband for not recognising a California. personally I'm thrilled to recognise a van full stop as it whizzes past. Anything else is a bonus...:)

That's a sale number. What percentage of people buy them on the never-never? Quite high ? So in other words VW haven't taken in that amount of cash.
Finance Company pay VW for the Cali. If VW Financed then that would again be passed back to a financing source. Whichever method used VW production would get their money.

Just a thought ... more than one membership pf the forum per family.... could be 100/ of members are part owners of Cali's!

Just a thought ... more than one membership pf the forum per family.... could be 100/ of members are part owners of Cali's!
And some families have more than one Cali.........

Wim, I am reliably informed that the numbers came from the California Product Manager of VW UK. JW
SMG Tonbridge told me that they have the second highest allocation of Californias in the UK this year at 68. Liverpool Van Centre has an allocation of 69 - the highest.

Crikey, 413 miles you say! I've just Googled that distance and the nearest two Calis to me are in Switzerland and Cork and I'm not going all that way to just be ignored.
Where have all the rest gone? Having their roofs bodged up perhaps? Or perhaps they're nocturnal creatures and our roads are actually crammed with shy Cali's scuttling to their chosen lairs before the first dim glow of dawn creeps across the night sky. ;)

Finance Company pay VW for the Cali. If VW Financed then that would again be passed back to a financing source. Whichever method used VW production would get their money.
And quite a bit of the financing of new vehicles will be from VW Financial Services, which will also make a nice return on the loan.

Back