Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Underslung spare fitted

D

dominichayhoe

Vehicle
Grand California 600
Has anyone added an underslung spare and if so where did you get it fitted?

I've tried to order through Swindon VW and they tell me its not possible, but Im sure I saw someone who had done it.

I did it - fitted myself. Takes about 15 minutes & no need to jack the van up. From memory its 8 bolts into pre-fitted threaded holes.

@dominichayhoe it is possible, as @andyinluton has fitted one, as have a few others.
I had a quote from VW to supply and fit but it was expensive, I have a parts list should you wish to source from somewhere like lllp, I'll dig it out when I'm home, as it is on my list to do.

I missed the comment, is it possible on a 600?
Yes, but you probably need to order with a list of Parts as above.
Some places will only order using VIN number or Reg Number and if not original, factory fitted equipment then the computer says No.

I did it - fitted myself. Takes about 15 minutes & no need to jack the van up. From memory its 8 bolts into pre-fitted threaded holes.
Was that on a 600?
@dominichayhoe it is possible, as @andyinluton has fitted one, as have a few others.
I had a quote from VW to supply and fit but it was expensive, I have a parts list should you wish to source from somewhere like lllp, I'll dig it out when I'm home, as it is on my list to do.
Which dealer was this as Swindon are telling me its not possible.

I missed the comment, is it possible on a 600?
@dominichayhoe

Yes - best source is to find a camper converter who is fitting rear door mounted spares.

Deleted that bit - ebay sale was for a chassis cab one not a van so the winding bit is mounted differently.

The important thing to note is that you are after MAN/Crafter parts not Sprinter/Crafter which was the previous generation & totally different.

Its a winch mechanism thats bolted to the bottom of the van that holds the wheel.
I don't think you can use a 17" Lismore wheel just a higher profile tyre on a 16" steel wheel. This is due to the way the wheel is bolted to the end of the winch cable. If I am wrong and you can use an alloy, I would expect the finish on it to wrecked.

Last edited:
Found it, this is the parts list, should you wish to order, last 2 items are a rim and tyre, which I would source second hand.

IMG_8222.jpg

Here's a link to a supplier - just need the wheel itself & the toolkit if not under the front floor.

https://vwvanpartsdirect.co.uk & look for "VW Crafter 2017-2021 Spare Wheel Bracket Set"

Currently £168.00

Hello,

I was also interested to get a full size spare wheel for my GC 600. My VW dealer said that based on the VIN number he cannot order the parts. I contacted a different VW dealer and got this question:

Hi,

just regarding getting the Full spare wheel holder how many mm is it your looking for ,

would it be 1,000 or 1,2000

I have no idea. I replied to give them the size of my tyres (Michelin Agils CrossClimate, 235/60 R17 117/115 R). Since then I got no further reply.

I might drive over on Friday to talk to them directly. Not only that I would like to know if it can be installed and the price, but the weight as well. We might have a wee bit of "weight issues"... ;) .

Regards,
Eberhard

I contacted a different VW dealer and got this question:

The only thing I can think of that may be 1000 or 1200mm is the length of the cable between the winding mechanism (which is bolted to the rear of the bumper ) & the "hub" part that fits under the floor of the van. It would only be different if the spare was actually mounted further away from the bumper on a LWB van.

Not only that I would like to know if it can be installed and the price, but the weight as well. We might have a wee bit of "weight issues"... ;) .
The hoist + 16" steel + tyre came in about 25kg on mine.

@andyinluton

Thank you for the information.

At the beginning of the year I went to a weighbridge. The weight of the GC 600 (full water, diesel, gas, etc.) was 3,280 kg. Me, my wife, the dog and a food we just managed to stay under the famous 3.5 t.

My wife would like to bring our two folding ebikes with us. But I believe that will bring us a good bit over the 3.5 t.

Since then I changed a few things (got the upper bed out, got an extra storage cupboard in) so I will either go this Friday or at some stage next week, again to a weighbridge to see what the story is.

Ever so slightly overweight Grand California,
Eberhard

@dominichayhoe

Yes - best source is to find a camper converter who is fitting rear door mounted spares.

Deleted that bit - ebay sale was for a chassis cab one not a van so the winding bit is mounted differently.

The important thing to note is that you are after MAN/Crafter parts not Sprinter/Crafter which was the previous generation & totally different.

Its a winch mechanism thats bolted to the bottom of the van that holds the wheel.
I don't think you can use a 17" Lismore wheel just a higher profile tyre on a 16" steel wheel. This is due to the way the wheel is bolted to the end of the winch cable. If I am wrong and you can use an alloy, I would expect the finish on it to wrecked.
Correct Andie, “just a higher profile tyre on a 16" steel wheel”

Back