Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tyre Mobility Kit or Spare Wheel ?

The slime kit, even on your nice flat drive way on a lazy warm sunday morning is a worse experience than a road side wheel change in the same weather conditions. I know :sad
I’ve never had a problem, but I would be using my spare first, but if hundreds of miles from the nearest tyre centre then you need something in case you get a second flat.
The kit I have also includes a fairly robust 12v compressor as well.

Ah...WG just read your post above my last one...
Just for clarity (which was missing from my previous post), my reference to slime kit was a generic one (like gunk kit or gloop and compressor) not the particular name of a kit for sale. I was generalising. Perhaps some are better than others then.

How I look back with nostalgia :(

In the old days if I was transporting the family and had a puncture I could just ask my mother in law to blow on it for a few seconds. Fully inflated and vulcanised :shocked

When I ordered my van I am sure I was told that if I specified 18" wheels I got no spare, and the van would not be equipped capacity to carry a spare, no spare wheel holder under the back. I went for 17" wheels when told this, you must have a spare in my opinion.

I don't have a choice as my Demonstator on order doesn't have a Spare.
Thought it might be a question other new buyers might want some opinions on. What are the Pros and Cons of each ? I can understand having a spare adds weight but the thought of having a big blow out in some deserted spot in Europe or indeed on the hard shoulder of a Motorway, is a concern.
I'm sure some of you have had this happen? I wouldn't want to be messing with a repair so would call the breakdown company.
With a spare they would come and swap the wheels. Does anyone have experience of this when they didn't have a spare ?
I'm guessing there must be a reason why VW Coventry specced all their Demos without a spare as replacing with a tyre Mobility Kit was a zero cost option alternative
Should I be getting a spare fitted - any thoughts ?

Ask them to confirm that it has provision to carry a spare under the back.

When I ordered my van I am sure I was told that if I specified 18" wheels I got no spare, and the van would not be equipped capacity to carry a spare, no spare wheel holder under the back. I went for 17" wheels when told this, you must have a spare in my opinion.
Sadly not as the Van does in fact have 18's - not my choice , it was a Demonstrator. BUT they look great and I'm leaning toward getting the storage kit from this site's shop with a 17" steel spare from somewhere and getting someone to fit it for me

I used a mobility kit on an Audi TT which had its own compressor. I was pretty dubious as it was gushing air but it sealed in the end and didn’t lose pressure for the next week or so until I had the tyre replaced. So, I wouldn’t worry too much. If you’re heading way out into the wilderness then a spare might be handy but generally you’ll be fine.

Sadly not as the Van does in fact have 18's - not my choice , it was a Demonstrator. BUT they look great and I'm leaning toward getting the storage kit from this site's shop with a 17" steel spare from somewhere and getting someone to fit it for me

Fitting the spare wheel carrier is no more difficult than the operation needed every time you lower it to remove the spare wheel - two bolts at the rear of the van carrying a hinged plate over the wheel. Ok - there is an additional, metal hinge pin needs slid through the bracket already in place on your van but its a simple task. 5minute job. Two punctures in the first 6 months on my 18's (came on there on a pre spec'd van) and beyond the capability of a repair with the seal kit. £100 bought me a nice alloy and tire and VW garage was about 50quid for the parts needed to fit it.

Personally I'd run 3x18" and 17" for hundreds of miles if I had to (ie on holiday abroad) No issue. Finding the same brand 18" tire(s) to replace one is not a quick task...

Fitting the spare wheel carrier is no more difficult than the operation needed every time you lower it to remove the spare wheel - two bolts at the rear of the van carrying a hinged plate over the wheel. Ok - there is an additional, metal hinge pin needs slid through the bracket already in place on your van but its a simple task. 5minute job. Two punctures in the first 6 months on my 18's (came on there on a pre spec'd van) and beyond the capability of a repair with the seal kit. £100 bought me a nice alloy and tire and VW garage was about 50quid for the parts needed to fit it.

Personally I'd run 3x18" and 17" for hundreds of miles if I had to (ie on holiday abroad) No issue. Finding the same brand 18" tire(s) to replace one is not a quick task...
Where did you get the alloy and Tyre from ?

Had the same issue and asked the same question as have fancy pants big wheel . Took it back to dealer a year later and he gave me a spare they had lying around, just charged me to fit it. Smaller wheel, but diameter of tyre the same as others so good enough to get to a garage. A weight off the mind when far from home.

A cautionary tale. While travelling in the far north of Scotland I had the misfortune to suffer a broken coil spring though initially, being unaware of this, I thought the handling of the car was due in part to the state of the road. Later that day while having to reverse it felt as though the vehicle had sank into a soft verge. More power applied and it lurched rearwards accompanied by a rather peculiar noise which was caused by the remains of the spring no longer rubbing against the inner wall but slicing through the circumference of the tyre. It took the good old RAC some time to reach me and then transport me to Inverness. You can forget inflation kits when the damage is that severe. Like others have said, it depends where you are travelling but for me a spare wheel and tyre is an essential.

A cautionary tale. While travelling in the far north of Scotland I had the misfortune to suffer a broken coil spring though initially, being unaware of this, I thought the handling of the car was due in part to the state of the road. Later that day while having to reverse it felt as though the vehicle had sank into a soft verge. More power applied and it lurched rearwards accompanied by a rather peculiar noise which was caused by the remains of the spring no longer rubbing against the inner wall but slicing through the circumference of the tyre. It took the good old RAC some time to reach me and then transport me to Inverness. You can forget inflation kits when the damage is that severe. Like others have said, it depends where you are travelling but for me a spare wheel and tyre is an essential.
The slime is only a temporary repair. Tyre company's will not repair a tyre that has slime in it.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

T6, lowered with 20” Wheels by the look of it, with a flat and looked like ripped to shreds tyre, being winched onto a low-loader on the M1 this afternoon.
Not a lot you can do in those circumstances.
And if you were in the middle of nowhere or a foreign country possibly a very long wait.
Personally, if I went down that path I wouldn’t travel anywhere without very good Breakdown Cover and even then I would consider very carefully where I travelled.

A62436EA-64A8-415F-9552-0F9FB95FA28C.jpeg

You might Disagree @audio2 , but if you don’t carry a Spare and your tyre gets torn to shreds then you are well and truly stuffed. Especially if your expensive 20” alloy gets damaged, so good Breakdown Cover and watching where you travel becomes very important.

For me a spare is essential, would not travel far without one.

Back