Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Unusual Sightings When Out in Your Cali

Justinitus1972

Justinitus1972

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Something amused the heck out of me yesterday, so I thought I’d post some recent unusual sights.

A while back I was queuing to board a ferry. In front of me was a motorhome with a rear bike rack. Sitting on the bike rack was a huge wooden rocking chair, strapped down with about 10 different pieces of rope. Made me laugh but also admire the ingenuity!

A few weeks ago I parked up on Exmouth seafront for a coffee. Behind me were a row of campervans. Perched on the roof rack of one were a youngish couple sat on chairs admiring the view out to sea whilst their youngster was sat in front of them playing with what I could only identify as a red whip complete with tassels

Yesterday morning about 8:30am right in front of Lloyds Bank on Marlborough High Street a full on gnarly pickup was parked. Snorkels, light bars, Jerry cans, safari type roof tent, huge wheels etc. The sort of thing Bear Grylls would use to explore a rainforest. Tailgate was wide open. Relaxing on chairs next to the kerb were a couple in full camo gear eating what looked like those dehydrated wilderness meals from a bag, with a jetboil merrily steaming away on the pavement in front of them!

Interested to hear what unusual sights others have spotted!

Sitting in a ferry queue a few months ago and the driver in front gets out and starts to unload the roof rack storage box. Out comes a spray bottle, cloth and a squeegee. Proceeded to clean and squeegee all windows of their car.

Just before disembarking the ferry a couple of hours later (bearing in mind this was a major ferry where vehicles are parked inside), repeated the same procedure.

We were polite and didn’t make any remark, but a white van driver in the lane beside couldn’t help himself and ask whether he could get his windows cleaned too. His request was ignored…

I still laugh at the amount of people who only stick headlight deflector stickers on just as they join their vehicle to disembark; Instruction sheet in one hand, scratching head with the other hand.

I was overtaken yesterday on the A14 by a ‘great white’ doing about 70 mph whilst towing a tiny red Fiat 500! I couldn’t help thinking that they should have considered a caravan..

I still laugh at the amount of people who only stick headlight deflector stickers on just as they join their vehicle to disembark; Instruction sheet in one hand, scratching head with the other hand.
I always put ours on on the deck as we disembark (This is also when I put on the UK plate) if dark or raining outside. If daylight I wait till we are on route. Putting them on before leaving home does not work as dark in UK and why reduce light if not needed. However I think it is wise to read the instructions early and work out where to put them. The fun bit is taking them off.

I was overtaken yesterday on the A14 by a ‘great white’ doing about 70 mph whilst towing a tiny red Fiat 500! I couldn’t help thinking that they should have considered a caravan..
Does anyone know is it easy to tow a small vehicle behind a large one or a caravan behind a car?

I always put ours on on the deck as we disembark (This is also when I put on the UK plate) if dark or raining outside. If daylight I wait till we are on route. Putting them on before leaving home does not work as dark in UK and why reduce light if not needed. However I think it is wise to read the instructions early and work out where to put them. The fun bit is taking them off.

We have some 2nd hand plastic head light covers, with deflector stickers already attached. They just clip over the headlights.

Something amused the heck out of me yesterday, so I thought I’d post some recent unusual sights.

A while back I was queuing to board a ferry. In front of me was a motorhome with a rear bike rack. Sitting on the bike rack was a huge wooden rocking chair, strapped down with about 10 different pieces of rope. Made me laugh but also admire the ingenuity!

A few weeks ago I parked up on Exmouth seafront for a coffee. Behind me were a row of campervans. Perched on the roof rack of one were a youngish couple sat on chairs admiring the view out to sea whilst their youngster was sat in front of them playing with what I could only identify as a red whip complete with tassels

Yesterday morning about 8:30am right in front of Lloyds Bank on Marlborough High Street a full on gnarly pickup was parked. Snorkels, light bars, Jerry cans, safari type roof tent, huge wheels etc. The sort of thing Bear Grylls would use to explore a rainforest. Tailgate was wide open. Relaxing on chairs next to the kerb were a couple in full camo gear eating what looked like those dehydrated wilderness meals from a bag, with a jetboil merrily steaming away on the pavement in front of them!

Interested to hear what unusual sights others have spotted!
Wish you’d snapped the couple in Marlborough High Street :)

What l have noticed is more and more people urinating at the side of the road on full view to all with no discretion whatsoever to others. Even witnessed an older lady squatting at the front of the car when she could have opened a door at the side of the car and shielded herself from view.

What l have noticed is more and more people urinating at the side of the road on full view to all with no discretion whatsoever to others. Even witnessed an older lady squatting at the front of the car when she could have opened a door at the side of the car and shielded herself from view.

It's common in laybys and forestry carparks and they tend to be very gross in the undergrowth sadly.

I mentioned this in the visit Scotland survey of campervan users, lack of public toilets leading to more open displays, be good if others who have been to Scotland recently could complete the survey.

You can access the survey via this link https://buff.ly/4522aEj
"Responses will collected until midnight on 29th September 2023. If you have any queries about this survey or difficulties while completing it, please contact surveyenquiry@visitscotland.com.`'

Many public toilets have been closed as the councils cut costs and focus resource on key services for the council tax payers who mostly fund these. Community toilets have had council grants severely cut one example is our local community hall, the next community toilets are 40 miles West of us !

I feel we need a way of tourist £ supporting these vital services plus accepting we have to pay a little too for the benefit of tourists like toilets and proper managed parking proven at the key honey pots.

It's common in laybys and forestry carparks and they tend to be very gross in the undergrowth sadly.

I mentioned this in the visit Scotland survey of campervan users, lack of public toilets leading to more open displays, be good if others who have been to Scotland recently could complete the survey.

You can access the survey via this link https://buff.ly/4522aEj
"Responses will collected until midnight on 29th September 2023. If you have any queries about this survey or difficulties while completing it, please contact surveyenquiry@visitscotland.com.`'

Many public toilets have been closed as the councils cut costs and focus resource on key services for the council tax payers who mostly fund these. Community toilets have had council grants severely cut one example is our local community hall, the next community toilets are 40 miles West of us !

I feel we need a way of tourist £ supporting these vital services plus accepting we have to pay a little too for the benefit of tourists like toilets and proper managed parking proven at the key honey pots.

Perhaps you should send a proposal/ suggestion to Anders Holch Povlsen (Wildland Ventures). He has plenty of money and seems keen to support Scottish initiatives.

Does anyone know is it easy to tow a small vehicle behind a large one or a caravan behind a car?
This is the way :) :

VW-Bus-T1-mit-Westfalia-Wohnwagen-310-4-169FullWidth-6ddd0606-1021676.jpg

dubbox-red-fim2.jpg

Back