Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

UPDATING SAT NAV

Old Sid

Old Sid

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hi. I could really use some help with updating the SAT NAV database. I'm using an Apple Mac.
I found a recent YouTube video by 'California Chris' which looked as if it was going to be useful. He showed how to download the DiscoverCare app and use it to update. I followed his instructions and navigated through to the page where you identify your vehicle and sat nav system. There was no choice of Windows or Apple software as he showed. The only option was to download the desired file which is 14.1gb. No sign of the app. Now I have a huge file and the SD card.
I have tried repeatedly to find a link to download the DiscoverCare app, I've even tried a different computer.
Any ideas? Thanks in anticipation.

Hi. I could really use some help with updating the SAT NAV database. I'm using an Apple Mac.
I found a recent YouTube video by 'California Chris' which looked as if it was going to be useful. He showed how to download the DiscoverCare app and use it to update. I followed his instructions and navigated through to the page where you identify your vehicle and sat nav system. There was no choice of Windows or Apple software as he showed. The only option was to download the desired file which is 14.1gb. No sign of the app. Now I have a huge file and the SD card.
I have tried repeatedly to find a link to download the DiscoverCare app, I've even tried a different computer.
Any ideas? Thanks in anticipation.
This might help.

Yes, I got that far but noticed that it was published in 2015. I know that you now have to update using an app called ‘DiscoverCare’. I have managed to download the maps as a big file saved on my computer but I have no idea what to do with it.
As I understand it, you download the app from VW, it checks your SD card to see if an update is required, downloads the update and installs it on the card. It sounds simple.

Old Sid, as far as I know -
- if you download the file, then you cannot use discovercare. Then use something like freefilesync, mentioned in rod_vw's post above. Details on the t6 forum post.
- on discovercare, in addition to checking if it needs updates, discovercare also checks that you are using a genuine VW SD card.

Also, ensure that your write lock switch on the SD card is set to off.

Thanks for info. I will look into this. If I could just find a way to download the DiscoverCare app to my computer I would be okay.

Thanks for info. I will look into this. If I could just find a way to download the DiscoverCare app to my computer I would be okay.
Here.

However most Mac users favour the Manual method outlined in the T6 link already posted.

Old Sid, ah! I get it now. The discover care app was recently pulled by VW and it is no more available for download on their site. I have sent you a PM with a link from where you can download. I had downloaded this for my wife's Mac, when the SD card slot on my Windows machine was playing up.

PS: All software come with no warranty. Use at your own risk :)

Old Sid, ah! I get it now. The discover care app was recently pulled by VW and it is no more available for download on their site. I have sent you a PM with a link from where you can download. I had downloaded this for my wife's Mac, when the SD card slot on my Windows machine was playing up.

PS: All software come with no warranty. Use at your own risk :)
Oops. cannot message you .. though WG has posted a link to the software anyways.

Many thanks for all the replies above. I have now successfully done it!

Here.

However most Mac users favour the Manual method outlined in the T6 link already posted.

Thanks for your reply. You are absolutely correct about using the 'manual method'. I did manage to download and install 'DiscoverCare' but when I attempted to use it, an update was required and the link to the update was a dead end.
The link to the T6 Forum was very helpful and, as suggested, I used 'Keka' to decompress the data file. From there it was easy.
I now have version 12 running nicely. I have made a few notes so I don't need help again next time.

Very helpful & thorough. Thank you. Success!
Glad to have been able to point you in a useful direction however the thanks should go to the many enthusiasts who frequent the T6 Forum. There are folks on there that know more about our vehicles than most VW dealers and certainly more willing to help than many dealers.

Help anyone

I’m following Cali Kev on YouTube to try and update my maps using DiscoverCare but can’t get beyond creating a backup as every time I try, I get an error message saying ‘An error occurred. Please check your network settings’ ? I now have multiple backups of the SD card.

As far as I can tell, I’m connected and updated to the latest version of OS Big Sur earlier today with no problems?

I’m following Cali Kev on YouTube to try and update my maps using DiscoverCare but can’t get beyond creating a backup as every time I try, I get an error message saying ‘An error occurred. Please check your network settings’ ? I now have multiple backups of the SD card.
{Cali Chris YouTube} - Same here @Taff Tenor I have done many times before with no issue, but this time got as far as you then starts to update new maps and fails. The system now says there is no SD card detected - can not get back up maps to reinstall on the can either. Luckily I have a spare card with the maps on so using that. Not going to try and update that one. So I would be very careful without the spare card I would have been stuffed!

{Cali Chris YouTube} - Same here @Taff Tenor I have done many times before with no issue, but this time got as far as you then starts to update new maps and fails. The system now says there is no SD card detected - can not get back up maps to reinstall on the can either. Luckily I have a spare card with the maps on so using that. Not going to try and update that one. So I would be very careful without the spare card I would have been stuffed!
Thanks Meoncoast….I’ll just have to buy a new SD card then it seems.

Looks like a scam to force sales of new updated SD cards for around £110 a pop …how disappointing of VW

Help anyone

As far as I can tell, I’m connected and updated to the latest version of OS Big Sur earlier today with no problems?
Sorry....what's the issue of SD-Cards.....??

Mac-OS and Windows will format (and therefore read) SD cards slightly differently.

As far as I know, there should be no reason to buy a new SD-Card??

Sorry....what's the issue of SD-Cards.....??

Mac-OS and Windows will format (and therefore read) SD cards slightly differently.

As far as I know, there should be no reason to buy a new SD-Card??
I’d read somewhere earlier on that VW ain’t keen on their maps on generic SD cards …apologies if I’m wrong but presently, I cannot make any sense out of why I can’t update my existing SD card using VW DiscoverCare….other than it doesn’t work no matter how many times I try.

@Taff Tenor I bought my spare from eBay for about £30 back in 2016. I would update one checked it worked then update the other I did this as there were lots of stories of issues online. No idea why the update failed this time have tried to format the card still will not work. My understanding was as well. that VW have a specific card and you can not just use any SD card

@Taff Tenor I bought my spare from eBay for about £30 back in 2016. I would update one checked it worked then update the other I did this as there were lots of stories of issues online. No idea why the update failed this time have tried to format the card still will not work. My understanding was as well. that VW have a specific card and you can not just use any SD card
Ok. I’d not heard that. It must be quite a new thing.

I’ll go digging and see what I find.

I was able to successfully update my maps yesterday using the DiscoverCare exe under Windows 10 using the original SD card. I was very relieved that the download, backup and install worked first time. I previously (about 2 years ago) spent a while attempting to switch to a generic SD card as I was concerned about the potential of messing up the original VW one. Despite trying a few different ones which I had available I wasn't able to get DiscoverCare to accept any of them.

Back