Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Updating SatNav RNS315

P

PhilSut1

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hello,
I've got a 2015 California Beach with RNS 315 SatNav system. After one too many SatNav mishaps I'd like to update the maps on the system. Does anyone have experience of doing this? I've found out that maps can be updated by downloading new software from VW website to a SD card. I don't think the van was supplied with a SD card (or it was I've lost it..) but it seems that I may be able to download software to a blank SD card. I've tried this once but it didn't work. However, there were 4 options for Sat Nav system for the download - Discover Pro gen 1, Discover pro gen 2, Discover media get 1. Discover media get 2. Does anyone know how I can find out which system I have?
Thank you,
Phil

Hello,
I've got a 2015 California Beach with RNS 315 SatNav system. After one too many SatNav mishaps I'd like to update the maps on the system. Does anyone have experience of doing this? I've found out that maps can be updated by downloading new software from VW website to a SD card. I don't think the van was supplied with a SD card (or it was I've lost it..) but it seems that I may be able to download software to a blank SD card. I've tried this once but it didn't work. However, there were 4 options for Sat Nav system for the download - Discover Pro gen 1, Discover pro gen 2, Discover media get 1. Discover media get 2. Does anyone know how I can find out which system I have?
Thank you,
Phil
None of them. Those are the more modern Sat Nav systems.
You can buy the update from VW, or 3rd party suppliers such as

Or search on eBay or Amazon.

None of them. Those are the more modern Sat Nav systems.
You can buy the update from VW, or 3rd party suppliers such as

Or search on eBay or Amazon.
Thank you - much appreciated!

It may help you to speak to these guys www.satnavsystems.com in Surrey, they are VW approved and fitted my RNS315 unit. last time I spoke to them about updating they told me the to wait until the next update as the the most recent update was full of glitches. This conversation was last year but I cant remember the timelines so worth giving them a call.

I would give Absolute5 a call, they are in Amesbury Wilts. Google search will find them. I think they are members of this, or the T6 version, forum. They did our upgrade for us, not a VW system. Very happy and it works with the reversing camera and tow bar. Updates are very straight forward. Ours is a Pioneer.

@PhilSut1 Are you sure you have not got an sd card? On our 2016 (ours came with the standard unit) is in the right-hand card slot on the head unit if you take it out the sat nav will not function I have just updated the sd card following California Chis youtube

Are you sure you have not got an sd card? On our 2016 it is in the right-hand card slot on the head unit if you take it out the sat nav will not function I have just updated the sd card following California Chis youtube
The OP has a T5. 1 I believe, you have the T6. I think they changed the type of ICS/SatNav between the 2 models, although it does appear that the RNS315 should have an SD card slot but whether a SatNav card has to be present in order for SatNav to function I'm not sure. On the RNS510 you can load the SatNav data onto the built in Hard Drive.

@WelshGas -had not realised OP had T5.1 or that their systems were different.

Email Absolut5 with all the details, they are always very helpful.

You might be better off upgrading a newer aftermarket headunit without Satnav, but with the ability to just mirror the Satnav on your phone (ie Waze, google maps). Then the maps are instantly updated on your phone rather than being 6/12 months out of date which is sometimes the case with downloadable Satnav discs / files.

Back