Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Useful Navigation Webtool

Custardtart

Custardtart

I've come across a really useful webtool for loading destinations onto an SD card which you can then plug into your VW satnav. (VW Germany do something similar but it's nowhere near as good as this.)

You use a google-maps based search to find your location. You can adjust it by moving the marker on the map if you want. You can then edit the text description of the location and download the details to a small file which you drag/drop onto an SD card (in a folder labelled "destinations").

You plug it into your sat nav sd card slot and on the RNS315 go to address and you get an option to use SD card - select that and pick the destination you want from the ones you've loaded.

In the UK generally a postcode is all you need but I've often found it more difficult getting the correct location on a trip abroad. With this you can see the location on a nice big map so you know you're sat nav is taking you to the right place!

Coming back from France I'd set the Calais Ferry Port from the POI menu on my satnav and it took us to the Eurotunnel terminal!

I normally use safari but had to use Chrome to get it working.

Here's the link:

http://www.schaffer.talktalk.net/SDNav/

I found the person who created it very helpful.

Hope you find it as useful as me.

Looks a nice little setup. I can see that being very useful for route planning etc.

My Audi has some similar, albeit more automated, called Audi Connect which allows me to right click on a location in Google Maps and send it directly to the car.

I've found it really useful - especially for loading a load of destinations in for a longer trip away.

It's also great for finding places in the comfort of your home rather than searching round the POI's in the vehicle while everyone's waiting to go.

Look good, will be easier than manually creating a .vcf file for each address like I have been doing.

When I first used it, it didn't quite work, but I contacted the person who wrote it and they made some changes so it now still works with their satnav and also the RNS315 (mine).

If you've got any problems with another VW Satnav let them know and they might be able to sort it.

If it works ok with another satnav I think they would be interested to know.