Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Discover Media Pro/We Connect App

Wurzzle

Wurzzle

Vehicle
Looking to buy
As a new owner (picked up on Thursday) I was wondering if anyone can help with a few issues I have with the Media Pro system...
1. How do you update the maps? I can download them to an SD card, but unless I've missed a trick there's no card slot on the Discover Media Pro!
2. I've setup the We Connect App, and it all appears to work reasonably well, but, and this is a Big BUT..... I can't send destinations or routes to the vehicle. I called VW, and the guy I spoke to said "sorry. vehicles built in that time frame (late August) with the media pro do not have that ability!!!!!!!
3. Is there a way to keep the radio on for more than 20 minutes with the ignition off? I was lead to believe it would use on of the leisure batteries when camping.
Thanks in advance for any advice.

1 - check the glove box
2 - Don't know
3 - Has never run from the leisure batteries, and turns off so you can still start the van in the morning...

1 - check the glove box
2 - Don't know
3 - Has never run from the leisure batteries, and turns off so you can still start the van in the morning...
Thanks, The first placed I looked was the glove box, there's a pen holder, vent for A/C, but definitely no as card slot!

Reactions: Sad
As a new owner (picked up on Thursday) I was wondering if anyone can help with a few issues I have with the Media Pro system...
1. How do you update the maps? I can download them to an SD card, but unless I've missed a trick there's no card slot on the Discover Media Pro!
2. I've setup the We Connect App, and it all appears to work reasonably well, but, and this is a Big BUT..... I can't send destinations or routes to the vehicle. I called VW, and the guy I spoke to said "sorry. vehicles built in that time frame (late August) with the media pro do not have that ability!!!!!!!
3. Is there a way to keep the radio on for more than 20 minutes with the ignition off? I was lead to believe it would use on of the leisure batteries when camping.
1. I believe it’s a twice yearly software update. Not sure if this happens ‘over the air’ with the Pro version via the car’s onboard SIM?
2. Had the same thing.
3. Radio runs from starter battery. Turns off to protect against you not being able to start the van.

1. I believe it’s a twice yearly software update. Not sure if this happens ‘over the air’ with the Pro version via the car’s onboard SIM?
2. Had the same thing.
3. Radio runs from starter battery. Turns off to protect against you not being able to start the van.
Thanks for the feedback, not sure where I read about the radio staying on. Probably just wishful thinking I guess!
Must admit I'm very surprised to learn about the route/destination transfer. I know it used to work on older vehicles, and it must still work for some or they'd take the option out of the app.

2. Had the same thing.
3. Seems like a huge oversight. Most people will want to listen to music whilst parked up. Is there an upgrade to use the leisure battery?

3. Seems like a huge oversight. Most people will want to listen to music whilst parked up. Is there an upgrade to use the leisure battery?
Not easily done if possible. The system needs to be connected to the vehicle BCM and it is this unit that shuts it down. If you have Solar or Mains input that charges both batteries then you can just hit the On button every 20+ minutes. Most owners use a rechargeable or 12v radio/Bluetooth speaker.
The ICS takes a lot of power as its not just a simple old fashioned radio receiver.

Not easily done if possible. The system needs to be connected to the vehicle BCM and it is this unit that shuts it down. If you have Solar or Mains input that charges both batteries then you can just hit the On button every 20+ minutes. Most owners use a rechargeable or 12v radio/Bluetooth speaker.
The ICS takes a lot of power as its not just a simple old fashioned radio receiver.
Be nice if you could Bluetooth to the speakers on board rather than carry another speaker...?

Hi,
I went through the same thought process...
The media connection instead of the old SD card slot is now the two USB3 connections in the cup holder tray:)
These can be used to play media from a USB stick etc using the media setting and I believe could be used to update the maps and certainly to load LOGOs for the internet radio stations.

However, when you have signed up to We Connect (with the We Connect Plus service) and assigned the primary user to the vehicle, the map updates (mine happened overnight) using the onboard VW eSIM built into the system.

IMG_7334.jpeg

The whole thing about having the ignition on to run media streaming and radio (and worse changing the heater settings and operating the timed auxiliary heater) is just pooh:(

I was offered a trial 1Gbyte Data service from Cubic telecom which I have activated and tested. This would use the ugly but efficient antenna on top of the Cali roof for an internet connection and create a stand alone hotspot for the Cali. This also switches off with the ignition and I just don't see the benefit on what is a about the most leisure vehicle you can get. You really want to be able to stream content, connect iPads etc when you are stationary and parked up without leaving the ignition on. Duh!

I now have a permanent internet connection and WiFi within the Cali using a stand alone Netgear mobile router with a high data 4G sim. This means I can use the iPad as a TV, have a Blink security camera, Alexa and Nest CM and smoke alarm, all accessible remotely. Of course the network is very dependant on a 4G signal but so far has been OK most places with EE.

I use the front dashboard 12v connection which is always on. This supplies the router and a wireless charging pad for the iPhone.

I will probably move this/shade etc as I think this position will become too hot when the sun shines.

I don't have a problem with current draw on the leisure or starter batteries so far.

Cheers:)

IMG_7336.jpeg

In the 6.1 I was lead to believe that the "radio" would stay on when on hook up. However when we were away during October half-term the thing still turned off even though we were on hook up. :headbang

Be nice if you could Bluetooth to the speakers on board rather than carry another speaker...?
I connect my phone via Bluetooth to the built-in Discover blah blah all the time. No issue at all.

Ideally if you were watching iPlayer on your tablet you would have the sound coming out of the vehicle's speakers, but even on hook up the system seems to switch off after 20 minutes. :headbang

The media connection instead of the old SD card slot is now the two USB3 connections in the cup holder tray:)
These can be used to play media from a USB stick etc using the media setting
Have you tried this please? Works ok?

Hi,
These can be used to play media from a USB stick etc using the media setting and I believe could be used to update the maps and certainly to load LOGOs for the internet radio stations.

However, when you have signed up to We Connect (with the We Connect Plus service) and assigned the primary user to the vehicle, the map updates (mine happened overnight) using the onboard VW eSIM built into the system.

View attachment 69786

The whole thing about having the ignition on to run media streaming and radio (and worse changing the heater settings and operating the timed auxiliary heater) is just pooh:(

I was offered a trial 1Gbyte Data service from Cubic telecom which I have activated and tested. This would use the ugly but efficient antenna on top of the Cali roof for an internet connection and create a stand alone hotspot for the Cali. This also switches off with the ignition and I just don't see the benefit on what is a about the most leisure vehicle you can get. You really want to be able to stream content, connect iPads etc when you are stationary and parked up without leaving the ignition on. Duh!

I now have a permanent internet connection and WiFi within the Cali using a stand alone Netgear mobile router with a high data 4G sim. This means I can use the iPad as a TV, have a Blink security camera, Alexa and Nest CM and smoke alarm, all accessible remotely. Of course the network is very dependant on a 4G signal but so far has been OK most places with EE.

I use the front dashboard 12v connection which is always on. This supplies the router and a wireless charging pad for the iPhone.

I will probably move this/shade etc as I think this position will become too hot when the sun shines.

I don't have a problem with current draw on the leisure or starter batteries so far.

View attachment 69787
Nice ground breaking there Ray, I need something to get stuck into during my Covid forced early retirement. I was going to hopefully use a wifi extension booster in the garage whilst at home to cover the data off and monitor what the dash cam is up to etc So if mifi is an option I will need to find a decent deal from somewhere Or use my phone hotspot. Just need the van now.

Hi,

View attachment 69786

View attachment 69787
Thanks for that Ray, I’ve got a couple of these USB adaptors so will give a memory stick i have with my entire music collection on it a go. Worked in my last Merc, so fingers crossed.

4EF410DB-49B9-4151-AF80-D4F0C8EA0B0C.png

Have you tried this please? Works ok?
+ Subthree
The two USB3 sockets definitely work with media files...
I have used MP3 and .mov.. I haven't tried AVI or MPEG yet. You can even select subdirectories with supported media files in.
The ignition needs to be OFF but the key left IN to be able to play videos. Sound files will play with ignition on.

IMG_7341.jpeg

I cannot (and I have tried for about an hour with .png jpegs, matching the search strings etc) to load the radio LOGOs. I think I may have thought I loaded them automatically through the memory stick when I first got the Cali as there were no Logo's present but I think now that these must have been updated via the VW GPRS Data update in the same way as the sat nav maps , radio and system software were updated over the air.

+ Subthree
The two USB3 sockets definitely work with media files...
I have used MP3 and .mov.. I haven't tried AVI or MPEG yet. You can even select subdirectories with supported media files in.
The ignition needs to be OFF but the key left IN to be able to play videos. Sound files will play with ignition on.
Excellent news, thank you. Will buy a type C USB stick and get my tunes going!

After another week of tinkering with the Pro Infotainment system I thought a few things I've discovered my be of interest:-
I too have used a standard USB stick in a USB C adaptor and it works fine, for playing audio and video, but the same files on a SD card in a C type adaptor were not seen by the system, could be the USB C to SD card adaptor, but it works fine on my laptop.

I noticed that on some tracks the album artwork wasn't showing up, despite it working on my laptop with Windows Media Player and other apps.
I managed to sort this by using a bit of freeware called MP3Tag to change all the art work to Jpegs and set a max size of 500 x 500.

On a similar issue I was lead to believe the Pro system had a SSD or Jukebox that you could store MP3's on, and also contained a Gracenote database. I had this on a previous vehicle and it was excellent. it recognises the track playing and displayed the album artwork, and other info. But it's not there either! The sceptic in me thinks that VW either had serious reliability or supplier issues with the SSD and have removed it from the Pro system. It used to be there (see pic)

I've found the Satnav often forgets the guidance. i.e. I stop for fuel and when I restart I have to set the destination again. (very annoying!) Its also hopeless at recognising postcodes.(next pic) I live in IV30 but according to the Nav there's no such postcode. Surprising really, it's quite a big area!!

I'm not sure if this next issue is related to the inability to sync routes from the We connect App, but if I go into my user and press the sync button it always says "this function is currently unavailable" (next pic)

On the brighter side of things here's some of the things that I've got working:-
Connecting to my phone hotspot for 4G and sharing it with others in the vehicle via the Cali's hotspot. I've used an andriod app called Hotspot Automatic which turns on my hotspot as soon as the phone connects to the Cali's Bluetooth. Make sure your phone isn't trying toconnected to the Cali Wi-Fi when you do this as it confuses the Pro system.
There's a 3 month trial of Tidal for 99p just now, so I thought I'd give it a go. Seems to work pretty well, but can take a while to get going. The Internet radio also seems to stream quite well.
Android Auto works perfectly with my S10. I borrowed an old iPhone to try car play and that seems to work well on USB and Wireless, but wireless was very hard on the battery, so you'd probably need to plug it in anyway.
Hope that may be of interest to some of you.

20201123_184246.jpg

20201123_174842.jpg

20201123_171930.jpg

Attachments

• Photos (7).zip
    3.2 MB · Views: 12