Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Upgraded battery / upgraded alternator amperage question

KatyCherry

KatyCherry

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Thinking of adding upgraded battery / alternator to our order as we like to play the radio when parked up at shows with no hookup but can’t seem to find if the alternator amperage is different ie higher than standard upgraded version, also is the invertor run of leisure batteries? Not that you really need it anymore with most modern gadgets all charging from usb!

Did some research a while ago, this is my results. I couldn't find any details on the upgraded alternator/battery.
I was interested like you to have a little more battery capacity for playing the radio when parked up without hook-up. The alternator is already upgraded to 250Ah on the T6.1. So a further upgraded alternator, I don't think would help because I would be do enough driving each day to recharge the battery anyway.

ALTERNATOR
T5 180Ah
T6 Manual 180ah
T6 DSG 180Ah
T6.1 250Ah

BATTERY
T5 61Ah
T6 Manual 68Ah
T6 DSG 75Ah
T6.1 75Ah

Last edited:
Alternator isn't any different. All you get is the heavy duty AGM battery. Not sure if its AGM for both engine and leisure or just the engine. I went with the option when I spec'ed the Coast but after learning more would have been just as happy without.

The radio will turn off after 20mins to avoid a flat starter battery... As @Corradobrit the upgraded alternator is standard, the upgraded battery is more for town/city multi-drop start/stop driving.
Get a little radio to run off the inverter...

Only 78Ah maximum is all that I could track down in the 096 size (quoted as battery type required on various sites).
prices vary but relatively cheap one>

Excellent stuff and thanks for the replies, 250ah alternator is plenty, and with the new 6.1 battery boost function which increases the idle when stationary to charge battery up and the fact you can read the battery voltage on the panel I think standard battery should be fine.....plus I used to store our electric hook up cable next to the battery on our old beach!
Presumably the upgraded battery is physically bigger(longer) than standard so may be difficult to retrofit later?

Go solar. Since installed a 2x panel option from Roger Donaghue I have not needed to topup battery when on drive. Before this I had to topup every month.

The radio will turn off after 20mins to avoid a flat starter battery... As @Corradobrit the upgraded alternator is standard, the upgraded battery is more for town/city multi-drop start/stop driving.
Get a little radio to run off the inverter...
Hi, Yes your right it does get annoying keep turning it back on!​

Go solar. Since installed a 2x panel option from Roger Donaghue I have not needed to topup battery when on drive. Before this I had to topup every month.
Yes need to look into solar again, know it was mega money last time I looked into it for charging leisure batteries and also means somehow sticking the panel to the pop up roof? van will be my daily driver so main battery should be ok most of the time

Excellent stuff and thanks for the replies, 250ah alternator is plenty, and with the new 6.1 battery boost function which increases the idle when stationary to charge battery up and the fact you can read the battery voltage on the panel I think standard battery should be fine.....plus I used to store our electric hook up cable next to the battery on our old beach!
Presumably the upgraded battery is physically bigger(longer) than standard so may be difficult to retrofit later?
Not sure if you see the main van battery on the upper display tho?

Yes need to look into solar again, know it was mega money last time I looked into it for charging leisure batteries and also means somehow sticking the panel to the pop up roof? van will be my daily driver so main battery should be ok most of the time
If you use the kit from Solarcampersolutions then it's not stuck on but bolted to the roof channels. So easily removed.

Batteries can have quite a wide power rating but keep the same physical dimensions. If the size changed then another mounting cradle would also be required unless a multi-fit one was standard.
Usually found in cars where either Petrol or Diesel engines and corresponding batteries are fitted.

If you use the kit from Solarcampersolutions then it's not stuck on but bolted to the roof channels. So easily removed.
Thanks for the heads up looks to be an excellent solution and hopefully I’ll still just about be able to fit roof bars for our kayaks....obviously not when using solar tho!

Thanks for the heads up looks to be an excellent solution and hopefully I’ll still just about be able to fit roof bars for our kayaks....obviously not when using solar tho!
I have 2x panels fitted on roof.

There is space at the very front and very back of the roof rails to install roof bars. If you only have a single panel then you'll have a lot more room.

Solar is a fit and forget option.

If the panels can get any light then they will be charging your batteries. I have the dual battery charging option, so 2x leisure battery plus 1x engine battery is automatically charged.

Thinking of adding upgraded battery / alternator to our order as we like to play the radio when parked up at shows with no hookup but can’t seem to find if the alternator amperage is different ie higher than standard upgraded version, also is the invertor run of leisure batteries? Not that you really need it anymore with most modern gadgets all charging from usb!
Have you considered simply running a mains powered portable radio via the Inverter socket/
DAB ones available which are compact size.

May well look for a good usb chargeable Bluetooth speaker to run from my phone, my daughter has a relatively cheap one which is actually quite good sound considering how small it is.

We bought a DAB portable radio, with a rechargeable battery. Just replaced our original campervan battery after 10 years of use.