Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Upper bed divider for children

jimmywease

jimmywease

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
After hearing various fisticuffs coming from the kids upstairs, last night, I was wondering if anyone had an elegant solution for dividing the upper bed in two (longitudinally)?

Looking on amazon, there are a few foam ‘bumpers’ available but I fear that these would occupy both storage and bed space. The precise position of the bumper may also raise a new dispute between the kids.

Any suggestions would be welcome, to reduce the boy’s cries of “She kicked me in the Goonies!”

Reactions: RFH
Sounds like they’ll find something else to kick off about if it’s not this. perhaps ear plugs for the adults are the solution. Seriously, I don’t think a divider would be the solution for your stated reason.

My boys now 10 and 12 have managed fine. there are occasional fights but its part of them growing up.

Personally I wouldn’t bother attempting a divider as it could cause more issues.

I have two boys who have managed to sleep up there together for many years and they are now 12 and 15. There has been the odd moan but usually they settle down after a few minutes and hopefully yours will too especially if this is a new experience for them. Try to get them to bed at a good time, not too early or late so they will be more likely to settle down and go asleep.

After hearing various fisticuffs coming from the kids upstairs, last night, I was wondering if anyone had an elegant solution for dividing the upper bed in two (longitudinally)?

Looking on amazon, there are a few foam ‘bumpers’ available but I fear that these would occupy both storage and bed space. The precise position of the bumper may also raise a new dispute between the kids.

Any suggestions would be welcome, to reduce the boy’s cries of “She kicked me in the Goonies!”
On a rainy day, give them a pad of paper each and the design challenge. State the restrictions and maximum costs and see what they come up with. If no solution seems sensible, they will have bought into the problem and solution finding process and are less likely to play up based on the issue of being able to touch each other. That’s a theory anyway.

One adult up, one adult down. (Making a stereotypical assumption, so apologies if misplaced).

If they dont like it, the alternative is to behave.

From our (limited) experience so far, a divider will be a massive faff and PITA imaginable in a cali.

Would some melatonin mixed with a small milky whiskey help...???

Wow - you guys really do have a wealth of knowledge, experience and differing childcare styles!

I think I’ll try to apply the ‘rainy-day’ solution offered by @California4x4, possibly followed by the ‘keep-calm’ advice from @Elly Swanson, @kave and @Seaview.

I’m loathed to kick the kids out into PUP tents, having spent so much on a Cali, to provide all-weather (& air-bed free) camping.

3/4 of the family would take the bed-swap arrangement suggested by @Kallista but a sleeping infant’s foot/fist shoved into my face doesn’t hold the same cute appeal it once did!

As for the ideas from @soulstyledevon and @Perfectos, I’d rather save the booze & muzzle for myself & Mrs Wease, thank you!

Back