Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Upper bed mattress topper

JohnCalifornia

JohnCalifornia

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hi, this has been covered multiple times I’m sure but can’t seem to find the answer I want as the search function doesn’t work and not much info when googled really. We are after a mattress topper for the upper bed. One that’s actually comfy. Ideally one that can stay on when the roof is shut (if this is even possible). What do you guys use?

I have just gone through an extensive bedding exercise for my T6.1 Ocean through Duvely. They didn't have the correct dimensions, so they had to measure the Lower and Upper ones. Toppers for the upper bed became an interesting topic, as both comfort mattresses are 3.77mm thick. I found that there is also an additional thickness for the head area in the upper bed. I tried loading up the upper thickness to see when it would cause an issue; you can't get a topper in more than 3 mm. Now, you also tend to hit fitted sheet issues, where conventional ones are from mattresses 10+ mm deep. My vehicle has springs in the upper section, so a topper wasn't necessary. You must also consider breathability, as the moisture will trap if you don't allow the area to breathe.

I assume others may disagree, as I am new to this camper stuff.

There are loads of threads relating to toppers for the roof bed, and the search function does appear to be ok at the mo.
Do try searching again :thumb :thumb

In my experience, any toppers if used with the standard mattress will mean closing the top securely will be compromised. There’s literally hundreds of threads about the best solution.
I advocate the sea to summit mattress and this has provided the best solution for comfort and it can be left up top.Many owners have their favourite sleeping arrangements. I’ve tried a good few and some 5” mattresses are super comfortable but don’t work for us because we carry 2 bromptons on the rear shelf.

There are loads of threads relating to toppers for the roof bed, and the search function does appear to be ok at the mo.
Do try searching again :thumb :thumb
Ah yes it is working now. I’ll have a browse soon

Good to know.
The key point imo is that if you want to leave your mattress / topper in situ when driving, you need to replace the existing mattress with another, not just add a topper.
Good luck :thumb

Back