Useful for LHD vehicles.

WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Sliding, Swivel front double passenger seat.

Not for Cali's , to much electrics under the seats...

As above it does show a RHD Paul ?
You mean fitting this in a LHD could work ?

Yes because the kitchen is also on the left. So, the reverse of Paul's example. If that makes sense :D

And what about the steering wheel ....on a LHD when fitting that seat on the left hand side , or do we need to move the steering wheel to the right making a RHD ?
Are you still with me ?:bananadance2

Still electrics would be in the way ;);)

That is fitted in a RHD conversion that has the kitchen etc: where the sliding door is. In a RHD California it couldn't work because the Kitchen is behind the passenger seat.
In a LHD California however, there is nothing behind the front passenger seat so it could be fitted, depending on moving the electrics under the LHD passenger seat.:thumb

It replaces the front passenger seat, so would only be possible on a LHD California.
The video is of a RHD conversion - kitchen cabinets and sliding door on opposite sides to a California.

That’s the standard transporter bench seat fitted with a sliding swivel. The Kombi I used to have had a bench seat and everyone moaned it was too high to put your feet down and the back rest was too upright. The latter can be fixed with an aftermarket kit but the basic swivel adds about 40mm to the already uncomfortable height. The lhd version of it might be alright on an lhd Cali but it stops you walking through and isn’t comfortable. Folks on the T6 forum would bite your hand off to swap their 2 seat bench for your captain’s chair.

That’s the standard transporter bench seat fitted with a sliding swivel. The Kombi I used to have had a bench seat and everyone moaned it was too high to put your feet down and the back rest was too upright. The latter can be fixed with an aftermarket kit but the basic swivel adds about 40mm to the already uncomfortable height. The lhd version of it might be alright on an lhd Cali but it stops you walking through and isn’t comfortable. Folks on the T6 forum would bite your hand off to swap their 2 seat bench for your captain’s chair.
Agree, but if you have a LHD California it could be a good compromise if you require an extra seat without compromising the habitation area.

As mentioned above not suitable for Cali electrics and battery. This DIY video shows a transporter with a double seat conversion, note extra floor bolts.

As mentioned above not suitable for Cali electrics and battery. This DIY video shows a transporter with a double seat conversion, note extra floor bolts.

Agree, but you would be fitting it in place of the drivers seat on a RHD California, much less in the way of electrics to adapt in that case and as far as I am aware the electrics under the 2 front seats are the same whether the vehicle is L or R hand drive.
Converters do fit a 2nd battery or an inboard diesel parking heater under that seat so it should be possible with a little ingenuity.

Agree, but you would be fitting it in place of the drivers seat on a RHD California, much less in the way of electrics to adapt in that case and as far as I am aware the electrics under the 2 front seats are the same whether the vehicle is L or R hand drive.
Converters do fit a 2nd battery or an inboard diesel parking heater under that seat so it should be possible with a little ingenuity.
Handbrake?

Handbrake?
Lowered?

I know it may be impossible BUT where there is a will there is a way. Considering what has been done to some VW Transporters i'm sure it could be accomplished. It was just a thought, something for others to consider if they want an extra seat without lugging around an extra 80kgms and having to remove it on site etc:

Back