Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Using "rest" mode aircon

KernowLad

Gone, but not forgotten!
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
Anyone used the aircon overnight? We aren't on hook up, its cold, wife isn't mad keen on the diesel heater. I'm assuming the batteries would drain pretty quickly?!

If not a sensible option, we will just use the aux heater.

Using "rest" mode aircon

Air con will only work with engine on. REST works for 30 mins after you turn the engine off and press the REST button.

Diesel heater is for you. Battery's will be just fine.

Cheers! It has just turned off. We'll be fine with the diesel heater. Kids just got a bit chilly last night mainly because we attempted a night without the heater and it probably dipped to around 5 degrees. Maybe not the smartest move...

Well it dipped down to two degrees, the heater was fine, we were toasty warm and cosy.

If people are nervous about using diesel at night (I for one, am), then an easy way to get peace of mind is to fit a combined smoke and carbon monoxide :crazy detector in the van. One goes quite nicely above the fridge on the wardrobe. I fitted a unit with double sided foam pads and it has stayed stuck and does not interfere with visibility or the wardrobe

It does however stop the fridge lid from fully opening but this is a non issue to us as it still opens plenty

We managed not to die which was handy. It's the smell on start up that's disconcerting. Seems fine after that. Night five now ticked off. That's a mere £9,000 per night so far... ;) :shocked :rofl

Seriously considering a short Euro tour this year then a big one (maybe a few months) next year before our eldest starts school.

Had a fantastic time this weekend and the Cali really did shine. Utterly brilliant machine!

Hi KernowLad,

Great to see that you are all enjoying your Cali so much. :grin: :grin: :D :D

That's what its all about at the end of the day. :thumb

Just to report my experiences in the Cali.

My wife and I had a weekend in the Norwegian mountains. -25'C outside during the nights. Roof was down, and the windows in the rear section is double glass which insulates together with the blinds. No additional heating until a couple of minutes before we got up in the morning. Using normal norwegian bed blanket which we use at home.

With the roof down I don't see the need for a heater running.

Back