Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Using too much oil

It may be valve stem oil Seals??
If compression was down the trick in my "fix it myself" days was to trickle some oil down the bore to see if compression increased. If it did then it was worn bores/rings, if it didn't it was the valves.

These days I guess you ask the computer ...

Hi all this oil burning issue seem to apply to most 20ltr diesel Vw engines for the first 20k I have a friend runs a fleet of 2010 to present t5's
Now the 180's he has stopped buying because he has had a lot of oil burning issues we believe when there used locally the dpf is going into re'gen which use extra fuel to do so if the re'gen doesn't complete it is dumping it back into the oil sump and thining the oil there for causing it to burn oil as there's fuel in the oil if gone unnoticed is causing damage to the piston rings this is as much as we have worked out upto now I have had few people ask especially about 180's with this problem its good to speak to companies who run fleets of transporters to get a feel for mechanical problems the smaller Bhp vans seem to be more efficient will keep you updated if I can find the actual cause I would suggest for now changing the oil and filter every 5k if you haven't experienced any of the oil burning issues as it's not expensive to do so.

Has anyone had any further issues with these engines? It now seems to be affecting some 2013 and 2014 engines...
Are people replacing their EGR's? Or whole engine replacement? I know VW were not interested when I mentioned the issue to them on my 30k miles 2011 model..

And also a lot of information here
https://www.facebook.com/groups/vwcfca/

Recent development is that this group are managing to progress to possible compensation by getting together, just like the club did with the roof issue. Early days, but well worth a look.

Alan

Realised that I hadn't checked my oil in 17200miles (due for a service shortly) and was alarmed to find that it had used about a litre of oil.

Tonight the Facebook forum has a guy going to the small claims court this week, having turned down 2 offers from vw of part payment towards a new engine.

Back