Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

V5C and Insurance

jts46

jts46

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 130
On my V5C it states my Cali is a five seater, yet I read on the forums that people talk about fitting one or two extra seats. Are these people covered by their insurance, should a claim arise with extra passengers? I beleive on the later Calis the V5C states it as a four seater. Could someone clarify this for me?

John

Your Insurance will only be valid for the number of seats stated on the V5C document.Unless of course you have the V5C details changed which would mean having the vehicle Certified for the extra seat/seats by a DVLA Approved Company/Agency, probably VOSA.

I thought that was the case. Have these people who fit extra seats consulted their V5C to make sure it complies, and hopefully don't put humans at risk?

John

I thought that was the case. Have these people who fit extra seats consulted their V5C to make sure it complies, and hopefully don't put humans at risk?

John
I have concerns about the self conversions where a van with 2 or 3 seats are converted with a non-crash tested Rock & Roll bed and then carrying a family of 4 or 5. They might get the V5C changed to CamperVan by sending some photos etc: but do they get the seating updated ?
My sons Conversion, from a reputable Conversion Company, was checked by VOSA and certificated and the seating changed from 2 to 4.

On my V5C it states my Cali is a five seater, yet I read on the forums that people talk about fitting one or two extra seats. Are these people covered by their insurance, should a claim arise with extra passengers? I beleive on the later Calis the V5C states it as a four seater. Could someone clarify this for me?

John

Mine is a 2014 SE ordered with extra seat and V5 states 5 seats. Maybe if it comes without the 3rd rail V5 would say 4 seats. It would be interesting to know what V5 says on 3 rail versions of SE, which became standard, when ordered without extra seat.

Mine is the 2 rail SE, 4Motion and says 4 seats.

I crossed out the 5 on the V5 wrote 6 & sent it with a photo of it with 6 seats in place, it came back with 6 on it.

Mine is a 2014 SE ordered with extra seat and V5 states 5 seats. Maybe if it comes without the 3rd rail V5 would say 4 seats. It would be interesting to know what V5 says on 3 rail versions of SE, which became standard, when ordered without extra seat.

Mine is a 3 rail and 5 seats

John

Back