Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Valuation for insurance

Taff7996

Taff7996

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Sill question

How do you work out the valuation of your van for insurance, I know what I paid for my van 12 months ago, but how do I calculate what its worth now.

It doesn't matter what value you declare, as in the event of a total loss they will only give you the 'market value' at that point.

As I understand it, the only reason they ask for a value is to detect if you have fitted lots of extras to the vehicle, that you haven;t declared of themselves and which could affect the risk and/or the insured value.

Just have a look at a couple of ads for vans of the same year as yours, and give them a round number based on that.

It doesn't matter what value you declare, as in the event of a total loss they will only give you the 'market value' at that point.

As I understand it, the only reason they ask for a value is to detect if you have fitted lots of extras to the vehicle, that you haven;t declared of themselves and which could affect the risk and/or the insured value.

Just have a look at a couple of ads for vans of the same year as yours, and give them a round number based on that.
Insurers can be crafty though.
They insure your vehicle based on a number of factors however and one of them is the Value, although they will only pay out the " market value " in the case of a right off, unless there is a New for Old deal.

On renewing my Insurance I asked what Value did they have for the vehicle. I was told it was £55,000 which was the purchase price. I asked them to reduce it to £45,000 and they dropped the premium by £25.

No point paying over the odds.

Insurers can be crafty though.
They insure your vehicle based on a number of factors however and one of them is the Value, although they will only pay out the " market value " in the case of a right off, unless there is a New for Old deal.

On renewing my Insurance I asked what Value did they have for the vehicle. I was told it was £55,000 which was the purchase price. I asked them to reduce it to £45,000 and they dropped the premium by £25.

No point paying over the odds.

Also works the other way too, drop the value too low & they see it as something you will maintain/spend less on & can increase the premium. Just happened to me with my main car

Knock £2k off your purchase price. Might be a bit less than that but you'll be on the right side.