Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Vango Magra drive-away awning problems

I just took delivery of a magra today
Be sure you place extra groundsheet material under each Air Beam foot if you are using it on hard ground, and be careful of the water which pools on the groundsheet in each corner. Other than that, it's a great bit of kit, but it definitely doesn't do what it says on the tin
Rob

£850 sheets for one use !
come on no judge in the world would uphold the warranty refusal let alone the water leaks on first use.

Vango, you just lost a shed load of customers based on your warranty exclusions and customer experience!
I will be considering other options now, I can't see the point of buying a ground sheet to protect the sewn it groundsheet. M&R with his candid review as confirmed one of my doubts as we are likely to be club stayers with their gravel pitches. Plus there is a growing trend of no ground sheets or breathable ones only on grass pitches. Um back to the drawing board as they say.

Be sure you place extra groundsheet material under each Air Beam foot if you are using it on hard ground, and be careful of the water which pools on the groundsheet in each corner. Other than that, it's a great bit of kit, but it definitely doesn't do what it says on the tin
Rob
Thanks for the heads up. Have purchased the groundsheet for £30. Will at least help solve one of the problems. Fingers crossed it doesn’t leak. Shame as I have a vango airbeam 2 man tent and it has been perfect which is why I went for this awning.

What was the explanation from Vango regarding the leak? Presumably they sell the awning as waterproof?
We haven't had any response from either CampervanBits or Vango regarding the leak. Perhaps they are of the opininion that it doesn't leak all of the time, only when it rains.
Rob

Let’s be fair

Camper van bits is the agent, who sell on behalf of the manufacturer Vango.

Camper van bits neither design or produce the item nor the marketing information, Vango do.

However under UK law Your contract of sale is with Camper van bits

However, the warranty’s are with Vango. Which is for Camper bits to argue with the manufacturer/ supplier.

I.e.The fact the goods are potentially faulty is for camper van bits to sort out with the manufacturer under their trade agreement/ contract.

Your claim is with Camper Van bits (CVB) however CVB are acting on Vango policy, rightly or wrongly ?

The failure of the product was first noticed when ?

A) When the waterproofing failed through normal use outside
Or
B)When the Product actually failed due to use? Contentious point by both parties!

Is the claim under A) is being refuted ?
Is the claim under B) being refuted ?

If the retailer accepts the goods did not perform as intended under A) your claim will be upheld Regardless of B)

Faulty goods only need to have one fault to be classed as faulty and not fit for the purpose intended !

It seems like CVB are between a rock and a hard place, as Vango, whom carry the warranty are dismissing your claim under B)?

however
would this be resolved if the awning were repaired under warranty by the manufacturer?

Or
do you want a full refund under UK consumer law?

You need to decide what you want ?

The manufacturer cannot assess a claim of two reported faults and simply dismiss one and ignore the another when it suits!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vango will argue that you have damaged the item by using in windy conditions on a gravel pitch and know that you won’t have any legal rights if it was damaged by wear and tear, an accident or misuse.

Perhaps better to push for a free repair, continue enjoying the awning / van & put it down to experience.

Let’s be fair

Camper van bits neither design or produce the item nor the marketing information, Vango do.

However, the warranty’s are with Vango. Which is for Camper bits to argue with the manufacturer/ supplier.

I.e.The fact the goods are potentially faulty is for camper van bits to sort out with the manufacturer under their trade agreement/ contract.

Your claim is with Camper Van bits (CVB) however CVB are acting on Vango policy, rightly or wrongly ?

Or
B)When the Product actually failed due to use? Contentious point by both parties!

If the retailer accepts the goods did not perform as intended under A) your claim will be upheld Regardless of B)

Faulty goods only need to have one fault to be classed as faulty and not fit for the purpose intended !

It seems like CVB are between a rock and a hard place, as Vango, whom carry the warranty are dismissing your claim under B)?

however
would this be resolved if the awning were repaired under warranty by the manufacturer?

Or

The manufacturer cannot assess a claim of two reported faults and simply dismiss one and ignore the another when it suits!

Thank you for bringing some clarity.
Vango will argue that you have damaged the item by using in windy conditions on a gravel pitch and know that you won’t have any legal rights if it was damaged by wear and tear, an accident or misuse.

Perhaps better to push for a free repair, continue enjoying the awning / van & put it down to experience.
Let’s be fair

Or

however

Or

Thank you for the clarity, having read on other forums of Vango's lack of correspondence and empathy in situations regarding the Magra leaking, I'm not holding my breath. Of course it may be that the other complainants didn't go through the retailer.
Rob

Thanks for the advice, your first paragraph is probably correct, and we have already agreed not to let this spoil our enjoyment of van and awning. Covid19 is already doing that! We are happy to be able to use this forum to make others aware of the problems that could occur when using the Vango Magra in inclement weather.
Rob

Images From the vango website specific to the Magra, they have other images showing the tent pitched on hard stand / all weather pitch.
Is it a bit disingenuous of Vango ?

IMG_0052.jpg
IMG_0051.png

We purchased a Vango airbeam awning a few years ago and on our first use the manager at the Caravan & Motorhome site advised us not to pitch it on a hardstanding pitch as in his experience the stones would tear the groundsheet. So we always pitched on grass or with a carpet underneath. Very soon we got fed up of this and got rid of the awning. What a blessing. As soon as we got rid of it we enjoyed our trips far more. Will never have another awning of any sort.

We purchased a Vango airbeam awning a few years ago and on our first use the manager at the Caravan & Motorhome site advised us not to pitch it on a hardstanding pitch as in his experience the stones would tear the groundsheet. So we always pitched on grass or with a carpet underneath. Very soon we got fed up of this and got rid of the awning. What a blessing. As soon as we got rid of it we enjoyed our trips far more. Will never have another awning of any sort.
I'm surprised he let you move away from the white post if you had to to pitch on the grass :D

We have had problems with our 2 Vango awnings, we only ever use hard standing pitches but we use a footprint under them but. Our problems are with water gathering on the tunnel roof as material so slack and unable to tension it any more.

I'm surprised he let you move away from the white post if you had to to pitch on the grass :D
Yes me too as they insist your van is inline with the white marker post the sites we have used so far

We have had problems with our 2 Vango awnings, we only ever use hard standing pitches but we use a footprint under them but. Our problems are with water gathering on the tunnel roof as material so slack and unable to tension it any more.
Hi. Are they airbeam?

Just moved to a grass pitch. Site was not busy. Very helpful manager.

Just moved to a grass pitch. Site was not busy. Very helpful manager.
In all fairness our experience with the CMC in the MoHo has been excellen, I renewed my membership. Jury’s out with the unfrIendly club.

I would check if the footprint actually goes under the air beam foot. The one we looked at was slightly smaller than the awning, and it was the one made for the awning, apparently Vango make them smaller to stop water running down the sides and pooling underneath
Rob

I would check if the footprint actually goes under the air beam foot. The one we looked at was slightly smaller than the awning, and it was the one made for the awning, apparently Vango make them smaller to stop water running down the sides and pooling underneath
Rob
They save the pooling of the water for inside the tent :Iamsorry

• Agree
Reactions: M&R
We walk around the site looking at other Vdub outfits using awning and some look really good tight like a drum, and to be honest non are airbeam all pole type Outdoor Revolution quite impressed.

We also purchased a Vango 'Tolga' awning in the summer after much deliberation. It is the baby brother of the Magra and was beset with problems also. It was a £600 purchase, looked great but wasn't fit for purpose! The water pooled on the roof as the materials were 'baggy' and the Diamond clear windows were so badly crinkled and creased you could not see out of the thing! CVB advised a hairdryer on the windows to warm them up to allow the creases to drop out but thats not gonna work when camping IMHO. It was up for 5 days in the garden, pooled water and remained creased all that time in a variety of summer weather... Not good! TBF CVB did accept it back as faulty and refunded. But a waste of time and research...

we are now awning-less again, and better off for it.

We also purchased a Vango 'Tolga' awning in the summer after much deliberation. It is the baby brother of the Magra and was beset with problems also. It was a £600 purchase, looked great but wasn't fit for purpose! The water pooled on the roof as the materials were 'baggy' and the Diamond clear windows were so badly crinkled and creased you could not see out of the thing! CVB advised a hairdryer on the windows to warm them up to allow the creases to drop out but thats not gonna work when camping IMHO. It was up for 5 days in the garden, pooled water and remained creased all that time in a variety of summer weather... Not good! TBF CVB did accept it back as faulty and refunded. But a waste of time and research...

we are now awning-less again, and better off for it.
Yes our Siesta Vango awning is exactly the same we had to lift the slack roof material every 2 hours to clear it. Vango had Never heard of that problem !!! Yeah right

I was looking at getting one but the sewn in groundsheet was a concern with me on a hardstanding gravel pitch. I was considering getting aground sheet to go under?

Thanks for sharing your experience and good luck with your claim, should say only suitable for grass pitching then.
We have a thick ground sheet and pond liner felty material between that and the tent floor. So far works ok, but haven’t been out in bad wind. We don’t have the liner as far out as the air beams so that it doesn’t get wet...

Yes our Siesta Vango awning is exactly the same we had to lift the slack roof material every 2 hours to clear it. Vango had Never heard of that problem !!! Yeah right
Interesting I had read the same about the bondi which I think is just the poled version of the siesta. The kela we were using in the summer had some minor pooling which would run off itself every now and then so I guess not a problem. Was after something more compact and not bothered about drive away hence looking at the bondi. I wonder if the risk is related the width of the span between the van and first pole.

Back