Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VANORAK

Word of Caution for those with a spoiler.

I attempted to fit my new vanorak on saturday night for the first time in the dark on my own, as blokes do. I left the tailgate closed as it was windy and there were loads of flies around. I fed the beading into the side of van which rubbed the part of the spoiler removing some of the paint. Lifting the tailgate moves the spoiler out of the way eliminating the problem. I'm not sure if this is mentioned in the instructions as I didn't read them clearly enough, but who reads those?

Other than at, its a fantastic cover, made a huge difference to the temperature inside and eliminating the draft. I was also surprised to see no condensation in the morning. It was very quick and easy to fit, although a bit awkward to get back in the bag in the morning. Expensive but worth the cost

I used mine at bus freeze last weekend and I had an audience whilst I was putting it on
Me and the wife decided to sleep upstairs for the first time and it was so much warmer I was surprised it certainly raised a few eyebrows with the other t4s/t5s/ that were there
I was a bit sceptical at first £295 sounds like a lot but if I was to only buy 1 accessory for
The Cali this would be it in my opinion money well spent.
By the way I am only 5ft6 and can put it on by myself while the kettle is boiling
The vanorak gets a thumbs up from me

And from me too.
It's a brilliant bit of kit and would advise everyone to buy one!
My only potential concern is for those of us that have the factory fitted awning (quite a lot of us i would've thought), the three tie down straps on that side can't be used because of it, meaning it does flap a bit.
Not been a problem yet but i wonder what would happen if the wind started blowing gale force during the night.

I did have some thoughts of getting some 3mm kador and remaking the straps on that side so they would slide into the channel on the awning but have decided against it due to concerns of them rubbing on the outer flap of the awning.

So if anybody has a solution i'd like to hear it.

Freeley did you not get the velcro with yours
Mine came with 3lots of double sided velcro
I stuck a small strip under the stationary bit of the awning
Inline with the strap on the vanorak 3 times and attach it that way
The straps allready have velcro on it stops it flapping
Sorry about the writing on my iphone

Oct 26, 2011, 6:11pm, Calikev wrote:
Freeley did you not get the velcro with yours
Mine came with 3lots of double sided velcro
I stuck a small strip under the stationary bit of the awning
Inline with the strap on the vanorak 3 times and attach it that way
The straps allready have velcro on it stops it flapping
Sorry about the writing on my iphone

Yes i have the velcro but all it does is stop the straps banging about - and when it rains the velcro comes off anyway.
It's not strong enough to keep that side of the awning taut.

We've just taken delivery of one of these. We've managed to keep the bellows pretty much dry so far but have often closed the roof overnight when I would have prefered to keep it open. Will use it this weekend for the first time... I'm sure it will be absolutely ace and I am almost hoping for rain...

Regarding the awning and tabs to tie it down, I have heard some people open the awning a tiny but and then trap the tie downs if the weather is bad. Not tried it myself yet though so don't take my word for it...

A wet week in Devon and Somerset have convinced my wife of the worth of the Vanorak. It may take 5 mins to put on or take off, mostly folding to put in the bag, or just fold inward and put in the boot wet. 3 Velcro straps stuck to the awning seem to work, the rear straps fit round the bike rack, the right hand strap is too far towards the center for symmetry, but it is fine. What do I tie the grommet tie down too? A long elastic to the grill like the Talormades maybe. It does keep the top dry and warmer and quieter. I am really pleased that I have purchased a Black Vanorak and would really recommend purchase.

We used the Vanorak for the first time and it was noticeably warmer inside (despite being a balmy 13 degrees outside). It rained a bit overnight which I was please about ;-)

The roof was easy to fit single handed, although we do keep a step platform with us - which doubles as a seat, cooking table, food prep etc and helps with roof access etc etc (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-Alum ... B002QRUFLE) and this made it much easier. Without it, it would have been a bit of a faff.

We trapped two of the tags in the awning which worked well.

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee4 ... 2Large.jpg

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee4 ... 1Large.jpg

I'm going to see if I can find an extending pole which could be connected to all of the tabs on the Vanorak and then secured at the front and rear to the awning channel on the van.

It also fitted back into the original bag which is a bonus!

All together recommended!

Re the above photos try another way by letting out the awing a little then unclip the velcro straps, guide them into the 6mm channel that runs underneath the flap, tighten the awning and clip the velcro straps to the Vanorak, then tighten the straps.

Oct 30, 2011, 7:14pm, drmw1335 wrote:
Re the above photos try another way by letting out the awing a little then unclip the velcro straps, guide them into the 6mm channel that runs underneath the flap, tighten the awning and clip the velcro straps to the Vanorak, then tighten the straps.

I tried this the other week, couldn't get them to fit into the channel though.

We hired a Cali for the weekend( this was going to be to test the water before we ordered but we couldn't wait and ordered two weeks ago!) Now even more excited about spring delivery! The vanorak was perfect for blustery wet Wales, fairly easy to fit/unfit and made a definite difference to warmth and sound insulation but I was unimpressed with the awning-side fittings clattering about. I thought that modifying it by sewing a channel to slide a folding tent pole into may do the job, this would sit just behind the awning and hopefully be held snug by the end straps.

Hi californiaman,

Like the mat you have looks a good size and covers the seat rails well. Is it a JML Magic Carpet and what is the size

We overnighted Saturday 29th in Calitess for the 1st time on a gale ravaged Welsh cliff top. Everything worked perfectly - especially the Vanorak with the awning rail fixed side into the wind.

Despite Mother Natures best attempts it stayed put & kept us snug & water tight.

We are also considering an awning side modification for even more security.

Paul, Linda & Tess

Hi. The Vanorak sounds very tempting. Before committing, can anyone tell me what size the Vanorak packs down to when not in use? For example, how does in compare in size to something like a Duvalay?

Nov 3, 2011, 9:54pm, John wrote:
Hi. The Vanorak sounds very tempting. Before committing, can anyone tell me what size the Vanorak packs down to when not in use? For example, how does in compare in size to something like a Duvalay?

John

The supplied canvas storage bag is approx 50x50x10cms

As measured by Paul.

Re: Vanorak for VW California Review
« Reply #25 on Nov 4, 2011, 6:11pm »
One of the real necessities for the California, for all year use.

Nov 4, 2011, 6:11pm, wingate wrote:
One of the real necessities for the California, for all year use.

Yes without the Vanorak the Cali is purely a fair weather machine.

Noooooo, I am wild camping in the Bulgarian Mountains at the moment and as moving day by day can't be bothered to put my silver roof wrap around on. Temp at night -2/3, Duvalay with blanket on top and if cold heater on all night.

Vanorak for VW California Review
« Reply #28 on Nov 4, 2011, 9:08pm via the ProBoards Mobile App »
We've camped all year without one. I only fitted a isotop after the winter. In a howling gale with horizontal rain I can see the benefits. If its just cold then no need.

I can manage some cold. Our first night in the California was minus 4 outside of north London in january last year. It is the rain value of the Vanorak that I love.

Has anyone seen the Khyam Kamper cosi sold by campervantastic as it looks like it comes with clips for the awning.

http://+++++++++++++++++++++++/product. ... d=286&cat=

Interesting find as its the same price as the Vaorak and it look like the straps have been sorted on the awning side. Has anybody had any experience with the Khyam cover?