Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VB Air Suspension

Skootyalan

Skootyalan

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
I had VB air suspension fitted last week. It's made a difference to the ride quality. The carpark setting makes getting in and out much easier. And the self levelling is the lazy campers dream. All of this I think is widely known and reported on elsewhere.

However, I haven't seen any comments on VB agents in the North. I used a company called Exploria Ltd, in Brighouse (near Leeds). I am only posting to let folk know I was really impressed with the company, its facilities and the service they delivered. If anyone is thinking of fitting air suspension and they are based in the Yorkshire region I would recommend talking to Jono or Graham at Exploria.

We have been looking at this for a little while. Can you give us some indication of price please?

We have been looking at this for a little while. Can you give us some indication of price please?
Hi, the prices may well vary depending upon area, my experience has been in the North. I have gone for the full 4 wheel air suspension because it gives auto levelling as well as better ride quality. Currently, I think the price will be of the order of £6000, but with inflation soaring I can see that increasing before too long. VB Air-Suspension had limited supply this year, although I think these issues are now resolved.

VB has very nice suspension and I almost bought that, but I went with Goldschmidt instead. They are also very high quality but have an additional feature that is quite nice. You can weight the vehicle on both axles. Once calibrated at a weight station you can ensure you don’t exceed total payload when fully loaded for a trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had VB air suspension fitted last week. It's made a difference to the ride quality. The carpark setting makes getting in and out much easier. And the self levelling is the lazy campers dream. All of this I think is widely known and reported on elsewhere.

However, I haven't seen any comments on VB agents in the North. I used a company called Exploria Ltd, in Brighouse (near Leeds). I am only posting to let folk know I was really impressed with the company, its facilities and the service they delivered. If anyone is thinking of fitting air suspension and they are based in the Yorkshire region I would recommend talking to Jono or Graham at Exploria.
I’m getting 3 quotes in for this to be fitted too.
Looks a great setup.
Does it feel more planted and not so much like driving a large barge ?

Looks a great setup.

Very planted. No leaning at all either and I have a high roof! Worth the investment. I also drive in the “mid lift” mode all the time as I have 18 inch wheels with BFG AT’s.

Very planted. No leaning at all either and I have a high roof! Worth the investment. I also drive in the “mid lift” mode all the time as I have 18 inch wheels with BFG AT’s.

18” BFG’s Nice !
What size is that and Load rating ?

18” BFG’s Nice !
What size is that and Load rating ?

LT255/55R18 load 109/105R. Key is to find them “made in USA” and not made in Hungary. The EU factory doesn’t use the same compounds (yet) and those are noisy. The US ones are quieter. Doesn’t bother me at all.

Looks a great setup.
VB does make it feel better, although I never had major problems with the original setup. The lower ride on motorways and goos surfaces is great. I like the car park setting too. My wife gets in and out much easier!!

You will find the quotes vary quite dramatically, I assume down to regional costs. Just make sure you have auto level and emergency inflation valves included, they are often quoted as extras. You may not need auto level but the emergency valves are essential, I think.

I look forward to an update in the fullness of timer!!

That is primarily a factor of your ARB's. See that you have the thicker ARBs. Will make the drive much better.

Then add VBAir and yes, the handling is much improved.

I didn’t need to change the ARB’s personally but my van is based on a LWB Transporter so these are a bit thicker anyway.

LT255/55R18 load 109/105R. Key is to find them “made in USA” and not made in Hungary. The EU factory doesn’t use the same compounds (yet) and those are noisy. The US ones are quieter. Doesn’t bother me at all.

Are this Laser Triple LED spots? If so, how do you rate them?

That is primarily a factor of your ARB's. See that you have the thicker ARBs. Will make the drive much better.

Then add VBAir and yes, the handling is much improved.
I’m assuming the 4Motion will come with 30mm ARB.
I had 28mm ARB on a 199PS FWD MY20 California Ocean. And updated to 32MM which was nice

Does VB give a route to replate for increased GVW - would be a major advantage if so, even an uplift of 100kg or so toward T32 territory?

Does VB give a route to replate for increased GVW - would be a major advantage if so, even an uplift of 100kg or so toward T32 territory?
It seems that it does increase the payload capacity. There have been some mention of it on the German forums, but a search has not given much information. It may be good to check with VB themselves.

My insurance company have just told me that I now need Thatcham Cat 2 for my van. I think the standard VW security delivers this standard, can anyone confirm?

Had VB full air on the rear of my Hymer Grand Canyon Sprinter.
Fitted by SAP Doncaster.

My insurance company have just told me that I now need Thatcham Cat 2 for my van. I think the standard VW security delivers this standard, can anyone confirm?

Correct. The transporter range from July 2002 have been fitted with Cat 2. However, I did search for "proof" of mention in documentations such as the brochure and the website, but was not able to find. I think there is the 6.1 brochure in the downloads section. Maybe worth checking in it.

Correct. The transporter range from July 2002 have been fitted with Cat 2. However, I did search for "proof" of mention in documentations such as the brochure and the website, but was not able to find. I think there is the 6.1 brochure in the downloads section. Maybe worth checking in it.

My 2020 LWB was 3.2 Ton stock and with Goldschmidt Air Suspension this was updated to 3.5 ton on the vehicle registration. VB is the same.

I've had 4-cannel VB Air on our Transporter conversion for just over a year. The van runs on 275 45 R20 and VB does take away the harsh crashing experienced with the std setup.
It also keeps the van level regardless of loading. Load 10 large bags of top soil via the sliding door and you can feel it compensation and the ride stays is the same.

Strangely the Sport mode is a tad 'bouncy' on undulating B-roads but stops the wallow and lean on roundabouts. I spend most of the time in Sport, using std mode for wobbly roads.

Parking mode gets a tick for limboing under height barriers. Offroad mode is great for access to spare wheel. Lowering rear is good for loading heavy stuff. Self levelling means no bulky chocks needed.

The real selling point: VW approved so does not affect VW warranty. Not cheap at around £6k but happy thus far.
Be advised, if you have an underslung watertank that 'wraps' partially around the spare wheel, it will need to be cut orr replaced with another. Approx extra £250.

Rosmia (member here too) here in Sussex were excellent.

Seriously thinking of getting VB air fitted to our soon to arrive Ocean. At one stage I got put off by the noise of the compressor, after watching a Transporter HQ video. Can anyone who has this fitted confirm if it really is bothersome and generally how long does it run for? It’s a big outlay but I really like the idea of the self levelling as I’m a bit ocd when it comes to sleeping on a level bed! The other features are also very welcome. Happy to travel down south to get it fitted too, once I’ve managed to convince my wife we need it!

Seriously thinking of getting VB air fitted to our soon to arrive Ocean. At one stage I got put off by the noise of the compressor, after watching a Transporter HQ video. Can anyone who has this fitted confirm if it really is bothersome and generally how long does it run for? It’s a big outlay but I really like the idea of the self levelling as I’m a bit ocd when it comes to sleeping on a level bed! The other features are also very welcome. Happy to travel down south to get it fitted too, once I’ve managed to convince my wife we need it!
Phil, whereabouts are you? Reason I ask, it may be best for you to hear it yourself. If passing by, don't mind a quick stopover.

It is a small whisper of a sound and it does not bother at all. There are times, when, say, another vehicle is parked right next to you and the sound bounces off, or when it is really quiet and you can hear the compressor.

How long - depends. When I start the vehicle, maybe about 5 seconds - if it needs to adjust.

If I have employed auto level, then can take up to 10 to 15 seconds for it to build enough pressure to level.

It does not run all the time or a lot.

Also, with the soundproofing of the Cali, you hardly hear it inside. Outside, the plastic panels underneath help reduce the sound.

The THQ guys had done it on a standard transporter and that will also make a difference, and from what I remember, they did not fit VBAir.

Phil, whereabouts are you? Reason I ask, it may be best for you to hear it yourself. If passing by, don't mind a quick stopover.

It is a small whisper of a sound and it does not bother at all. There are times, when, say, another vehicle is parked right next to you and the sound bounces off, or when it is really quiet and you can hear the compressor.

How long - depends. When I start the vehicle, maybe about 5 seconds - if it needs to adjust.

If I have employed auto level, then can take up to 10 to 15 seconds for it to build enough pressure to level.

It does not run all the time or a lot.

Also, with the soundproofing of the Cali, you hardly hear it inside. Outside, the plastic panels underneath help reduce the sound.

The THQ guys had done it on a standard transporter and that will also make a difference, and from what I remember, they did not fit VBAir.
Thanks mate, much appreciated.

I think their video was a bit misleading then, they had it running for quite some time.

What you have said makes me feel much happier. Just have to try and convince my wife now. I can get away with most things that I want to add as she has quite a list too, but this is a difficult one being so pricey! I was going to get coilovers probably anyway, so I can take that cost off the VB air, which makes it…..er…..a bit better ;)

Thanks again.

It seems that it does increase the payload capacity. There have been some mention of it on the German forums, but a search has not given much information. It may be good to check with VB themselves.
It may depend on country legislation. With VB, we have been able to raise the allowed max weight from 3000 kg to 3250 kg here in NL.