Best VW California Dedicated Forum by Miles :)

1. NEXT CLUB MEETS
    Stratford Upon Avon Meet - 1-3 Sep 2017 - Details Here
    France Meet - 15-17 Sep 2017 - Details Here

Dismiss Notice

VB Air suspension - good?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by sdes, Mar 2, 2014.

1. kave

kave VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Beach 4Motion
    Year:
    How much is a kit? I am tempted as well.

2. pjm-84

pjm-84 VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 180
    Year:
    About £3.7k+ VAT in the UK with the self levelling function and fitting costs. No issue with the installation cost.

The recommendations for annual "servicing" is a "stopper" for me. 4hr round trip plus servicing time = 1 day out of the office @ £££

Similarly I don't fancy being stranded somewhere with a suspension issue and someone tells me that I didn't have a 12months visual inspection..................

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. kave

kave VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Beach 4Motion
    Year:
    Strange, all BMW 5-series Touring models have air suspension on the rear axle and that is not maintatined at all.

4. zeratul

zeratul VIP Member

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T5 Beach 4Motion
    Year:
    Currently in Morocco enjoying the air suspension every day. We've done a lot of bad roads and beautiful 4x4 roads and it's amazing what the California is capable off.
    Really happy with the +3cm version. You have sports mode to put the cali back at standard height but for adventerours (like me) it's really nice to find yourself on a 4x4 parking and camping amongst landcruisers and range rovers.

But the biggest win is to arrive on the campsite after a long day, position the car for beautiful sunset from the sliding door without having to worry about what direction is most level. It's just a button push away.
    Love the vb system!
    An instagram link
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BSrZVyAhxnr/

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  5. bvddobb

bvddobb VIP Member

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 174 4Motion
    Year:
    :cool::thumb

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  6. kave

kave VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Beach 4Motion
    Year:
    Sounds great!

7. estresao

estresao VIP Member

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T5 Beach 4Motion
    Year:
    I'm still mulling the idea over and find VB Suspension a nice improvement, but to me it does not worth to expend more than 5 grands. I've just stop thinking I could get it.

8. Alex p

Alex p

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 180
    Year:
    Hi sorry I'm so late to the Convo but found it really interesting as my new california has the vb system fitted. I found the most uneven bit of my drive and self leveled it but couldn't work out if it does side to side level or just Front to back?? It doesn't really say if mine is a off-road version so I'm unsure what the standard hight of the van should be? Slightly worrying for car parks as am aware I'm a bit right foot heavy!! Any info advice greatly appreciated!

9. zeratul

zeratul VIP Member

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T5 Beach 4Motion
    Year:
    You can measure the dimensions and compare against those found here http://www.vbairsuspension.com/en/files/342.html to figure out if you have the RAISED or STANDARD version.
    Auto level is both front/rear and left/right. But of course within the limits, which is 12cm max difference.
    Works great.

10. Alex p

Alex p

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 180
    Year:
    Oh brill thanks for the info!!

11. Alex p

Alex p

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 180
    Year:
    Wow trying out the self leveling is insane... my drive is terrible but it coped fine!! I have the standard setup looking at the numbers. Thanks again! IMAG0494.jpg

12. EUGENIO

EUGENIO

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 204
    Year:
    Hello! im new in to this forum, i will buy in august my california ocean and next june i will go in iceland, i live in the swiss alps and here is full of off road! so i thinkig to buy the VB-FullAir-4C, do you have this model? my question is: is it true that if you drive up to 5km/h you can go 12cm up with the suspencions? and how is the drive felling when you are in sport mode? is it close to before? i heard that the van roll a bit more than before... how auto level works!? im really excited, cant wait to have it! i like your van!

Screen Shot 2017-07-15 at 10.36.50.png

Screen Shot 2017-07-15 at 10.36.50.png

13. zeratul

zeratul VIP Member

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T5 Beach 4Motion
    Year:
    Yes I have that version. Sports mode is great, I always drive in that mode and it feels better than the original suspension (same ride height if you have the Raised VB Air sus), great when cornering, but I have to drive a bit slower on traffic bumps. If there's too many bumps I put it in normal. The air suspension adjusts constantly based on how the weight is distributed, you notice when a person enters or leaves the vehicle, or when luggage shifts left/right while driving. The version with the air tank can adjust pressure instantly but up to soo much, then the compressor has to turn on to fill the tank again or add even more pressure adjustment.

It drives much smoother. I remember how incredibly different it felt when driving home from having it installed. Now I'm so used to it that I cannot remember how it was before.

Just finished packing for iceland, car is leaving on monday, and we are flying Aug 2nd. I measured in the extreme offroad mode what clearance we have with the Rival Skid plates installed. It was 30cm at the lowest point (the rear diff Skid protection plate), but large areas are 40cm. This puts it right at the top in this list here http://www.baztro.com/best-highest-ground-clearance-suv-comparison-chart/
    Of course driving 5km/h is slow, so we'll be in the Offroad mode most of the time, unless really needed.

14. EUGENIO

EUGENIO

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 204
    Year:
    No way that you are leaving now for my dream adventure!!! what up grade did u do at the van? solar panel? do u have a webstie? instagram profile? i will follow you!! and if i do not disturb i will ask more questions :)
    Thanks for your detail i will go for the same version of you, how much it was fot u? at the moment they are asking me more than 8500 chf - 7600 EUR

15. zeratul

zeratul VIP Member

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T5 Beach 4Motion
    Year:
    Planned this trip for many years... And yes it's a dream to come true.
    I've posted our plan here https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/iceland-2017.19421/ and will update there early august.
    My instagram https://www.instagram.com/jeroenost/

Paid EUR 5875 for VB Air suspension including autolevel (EUR 320) and emergency inflation valves (EUR 260) options. Then a little extra for Belgian approval paper process but that depends on your country. Your price seems expensive. Could consider having it done in Germany but you probably need Swiss approval, not sure on that process. Worth looking into it.

16. briwy

briwy VIP Member

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 180 4Motion
    You can do the visual inspction yourself. Raise the suspension to its FULL height, not just the offroad setting and its easy to see the air units. Clean all the muck etc off the units and basically thats it. If its working then its ok. If it has a leak then it will drop. Leaks can be checked out with diluted washing up liquid.
    No need to take it back every year for checking.
    Basically it's maintenance free.

17. estresao

estresao VIP Member

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T5 Beach 4Motion
    Year:
    When did you paid that? In Spain it's also more than 7 grands.

18. zeratul

zeratul VIP Member

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T5 Beach 4Motion
    Year:
    January this year.

19. pjm-84

pjm-84 VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 180
    Year:
    :agreed. However if the systems develops a failure whilst under warranty then I'm not covered.

Apart from a leaking front air valve block (which I rebuilt), and a replacement height sensor, the air suspension on my D3 has been faultless after calibration with my IDD.

20. Alex p

Alex p

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 180
    Year:

So guess what I’m doing this weekend! i haven’t experienced the California without the air but i would say with it it is really smooth on the roads with very little body roll, i do drive it a bit like a cooper s and need to tone it down a bit! but it feels really good. the driving characteristics between standard and sport mode if I’m honest I can't really tell a massive difference, it feels softer at standard height but the difference is marginal.

Iceland is incredible, i went last year BC (before cali) but make sure the heaters working if you go in the winter.. wow it get flippin cold!

• Like Like x 1