Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VB Air Suspension

I'm firing off some emails for some quotes too. I'll let you know what I get back.
I can’t PM you @PhilR
Didn’t want to put prices I’ve had on a forum.
Not sure if it’s good ethics ?

The VB air compressor is relatively quiet and only runs to top up the air storage tank as required.
VB stated that it didn't increase weight capacity in 2017 when I checked.

Incidentally I have a complete system available as removed when converted to Bilstein Air. Needs to be professionally installed.

The VB air compressor is relatively quiet and only runs to top up the air storage tank as required.

Incidentally I have a complete system available as removed when converted to Bilstein Air. Needs to be professionally installed.
Forgive my ignorance, but there must be quite a difference between VB and Bilstein then?

I’m wondering the same.
You had both systems installed.
Can you describe the pro’s & con’s of both please :thumb

Hi
How much are you asking for the VB Air.

Thanks.

Phil, whereabouts are you? Reason I ask, it may be best for you to hear it yourself. If passing by, don't mind a quick stopover.

It is a small whisper of a sound and it does not bother at all. There are times, when, say, another vehicle is parked right next to you and the sound bounces off, or when it is really quiet and you can hear the compressor.

How long - depends. When I start the vehicle, maybe about 5 seconds - if it needs to adjust.

If I have employed auto level, then can take up to 10 to 15 seconds for it to build enough pressure to level.

It does not run all the time or a lot.

Also, with the soundproofing of the Cali, you hardly hear it inside. Outside, the plastic panels underneath help reduce the sound.

The THQ guys had done it on a standard transporter and that will also make a difference, and from what I remember, they did not fit VBAir.
I agree, very little sound. The offer to view in Yorkshire is open too!

Does anyone know if you can Fit VB Air if you have the Dynamic Suspension Pack from VW?

No unless you wanted to loose the dynamic system.
Front struts are replaced by standard ones with integral air bags.
I don't know of any air suspension supplier who does a dynamic system. The cost of front struts would be extremely high. The rear isn't an issue.

No unless you wanted to loose the dynamic system.
Front struts are replaced by standard ones with integral air bags.
I don't know of any air suspension supplier who does a dynamic system. The cost of front struts would be extremely high. The rear isn't an issue.
thanks thought so

Very planted. No leaning at all either and I have a high roof! Worth the investment. I also drive in the “mid lift” mode all the time as I have 18 inch wheels with BFG AT’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I guess your BFGs are 255/55r18 ? can you drive/turn in low mode/parking mode ?

Im so close to order, but can't find any answers to my above question. Thanks

I guess your BFGs are 255/55r18 ? can you drive/turn in low mode/parking mode ?

Im so close to order, but can't find any answers to my above question. Thanks
Yes you can drive, however the VB system sounds a bleeper to remind you. I don’t know if it automatically switches to normal height if u pick up speed. But low speed manoeuvring is ok

Yes you can drive, however the VB system sounds a bleeper to remind you. I don’t know if it automatically switches to normal height if u pick up speed. But low speed manoeuvring is ok
great thanks, yes the bleeper continues as long as I drive parking mode, for the safety and it automatically turns of when I speed up and the suspension goes up to normal mode.

My concern was only going up in tire size from 255/45 to 255/55r18. I asked a German AT wheel manufacture and they told me 55 would be to big when in park mode, however, they were very helpsome to offer me their 17" wheels ha ha , but except from them, I can't find any, who can confirm the size is ok in low mode. thanks !

great thanks, yes the bleeper continues as long as I drive parking mode, for the safety and it automatically turns of when I speed up and the suspension goes up to normal mode.

My concern was only going up in tire size from 255/45 to 255/55r18. I asked a German AT wheel manufacture and they told me 55 would be to big when in park mode, however, they were very helpsome to offer me their 17" wheels ha ha , but except from them, I can't find any, who can confirm the size is ok in low mode. thanks !
It really depends on the offset of the rims. In Switzerland many choose the 255/55r18 with VB. Although this is in German this also provides details on all the AT tyres you can run and the requirements for each size:

It really depends on the offset of the rims. In Switzerland many choose the 255/55r18 with VB. Although this is in German this also provides details on all the AT tyres you can run and the requirements for each size:

Thanks, great info, however "steering angle limitation" for the 255/55r18 that's in normal mode right ? this means even more limitation driving in low mode, hmmmm
BTW my 18" wheels are original VW
Im using the parking mode inside the big parking garages with many floors, so there's a lot of turns and ramps, so I'll have to make sure I don't damage the van. Did you use any spacers ? I really appreciate your help and information .

Last edited:
Thanks, great info, however "steering angle limitation" for the 255/55r18 that's in normal mode right ? this means even more limitation driving in low mode, hmmmm
BTW my 18" wheels are original VW
Im using the parking mode inside the big parking garages with many floors, so there's a lot of turns and ramps, so I'll have to make sure I don't damage the van. Did you use any spacers ? I really appreciate your help and information .
I've since gone back to 17's with Pirelli Scorpion AT Plus tyres in size 235/65R17. Not for any rubbing but due to the fact that I drive mostly on city and highway roads and only need AT's for 10-15% of the time max. That said, I have a 1.85m high van so I don't use low mode ever. Only stock and mid-high primarily. With those I never rubbed with 18's. I was using Black Rhino Arches with BFG KO2's. The KO2's have a fairly vertical triple ply sidewall and worked with those 18's. The Pirelli Scorpion AT Plus required dropping down to the 17's as they didn't come in a 255/55R18, but 255/60R18 and those would rub.

Very planted. No leaning at all either and I have a high roof! Worth the investment. I also drive in the “mid lift” mode all the time as I have 18 inch wheels with BFG AT’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi I also have BFG's on 18” wheels (4 Motion Cali Ocean T6). I’m very interested in VB air so would really appreciate you sharing how much better the ride is and also have you taken it off road using the highest setting? I currently have 35mm lift on Bilstein shocks and springs. I’m amazed how capable it is for a van but the ride is pretty harsh. Can’t seem to find anywhere to test drive (I’m in England) so looking for as much real world experience as possible.

Thanks in advance

Hi @wildslammer22 ,

We have our VB suspension since 2013, and have taken it in the off road mode through some pretty challenging circumstances over the years. Think criss cross the Icelandic highlands, Spanish Pyrenees sea to ocean on mountain tracks, West Alps, many Scandinavian dirt and mountain roads, etc. We have always been very happy with its performance.

I have no idea what you expect of the air suspension, when I see you write about the ‘harshness’ of your current rides. The air suspension does not turn your van into a Citroen DS… It makes for a very stable ride, however your van is loaded, it will always be ‘straight’, and rock solid on the road. No wobbling after a traffic bump, etc. The perceived ‘harsness’ is probably due to your tyres sooner, than your suspension. E.g we have driven with load index 107, and found that ‘harsh’. Nowadays we drive 103, which we think is a lot more comfortable. With the higher flanks (225/70) we can still deflate enough when the terrain asks for it.