Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VED 5 year supplement

Billywizz

Billywizz

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
evening all,

As you are all aware if purchasing a new Cali you pay the 5 year VED Supplement of £310 per year plus the £120 for the tax so £450 per year! My Cali is now sorn off the road which could be 5-6 months per year, my question is would I essentially only pay 2.5 years worth of this supplement saving £1125 over the 5 years or is this rule apply until you have paid a total of five years worth of VED?

Hope this makes sense.

I would use it in the winter but I have other vehicles and I’m a beach owner which has no parking heater :headbang

Thanks in advance

I think you are correct. I wondered about this as mine sat untaxed for a month or two as VW disposed of it and I bought it from Liverpool. My tax year is now out of sync with the starting point for the 5 years.

I suspect the rule is - if you apply for tax within the first 5 years, you'll pay the extra. If you cancel, you'll get the pro-rata refund.

So if the vans taxing cycle gets (say) 6 months behind the registration date, you could cancel the tax on its 5th birthday, get £225 back. Then retax at 5 years and a day old and only pay £120/2 = £60 equivalent for those next 6 months

Although I suspect the civil servant's have (or will) think of that!

Last edited:
I am sure there will be no stone uncovered knowing them??

Thanks for your reply and thoughts:thumb

Back