Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VED Tax Band for your Cali

Just sent me running to my V5.
DSG 150 Beach, 2+2+1 seater, all weather tyres.
V5 says 7-seats, 162g/km.
I know the lower rate was associated with the DSG - down to the coast mode I think.
Maybe mines wrong because they list my Cali as having 5 seats. It only has 4.

Maybe mines wrong because they list my Cali as having 5 seats. It only has 4.
Mine's only got 5, but it could take 7 on the rails.
The Ocean has a fifth seat option, so yours could be a 5-seater in a matter of minutes.

VED paid as expected for Band I - £355 plus £55. The increase in co2 that I have is within the same band.

@CaliforniaCamping , @106Rallye , @B J G , @Broch Hunter , @Lewis What was the VED paid when you took delivery? It should be shown on your final invoice. Was it as expected?

Just dug out the paperwork and our first tax rate was £300 so we are in the higher band. I didn't query it at the time because we had been messed around so much, when they asked for the extra money (which I assumed was an admin error) I refused blank to pay and they very quickly chose to pay it but obviously that is because it is now in the higher tax band (H) for some reason.

Mine's only got 5, but it could take 7 on the rails.
The Ocean has a fifth seat option, so yours could be a 5-seater in a matter of minutes.
I accept that but I don't see why I might be being taxed because of something I might do.

Just looking at my V5 this evening when I saw this post and checked - guess what - another difference. 150 ocean 4 motion manual - VW brochure 176g/kg - V5 179g/kg. only extras I had that could add any significant weight are diff lock , updated anti roll bars and removable tow bar. My be they do refine emissions when leave the factory.
Yes, but if this is the case then VW should tell us that the VED will be higher than we expect but it still dose not explain to me why the first year VED is £185 - Band G and the V5C shows a CO2 emission 3 points higher which is actually Band H. One of these two bits of information must be wrong. VW's answer will be interesting.

I queried this with the VCA who checked with VW the 150 dsg co2 has been revised to 166. The VCA website has now been updated to reflect this. Some other models have been changed as well but have not impacted the VED band like the 150 dsg.

Yes, but if this is the case then VW should tell us that the VED will be higher than we expect but it still dose not explain to me why the first year VED is £185 - Band G and the V5C shows a CO2 emission 3 points higher which is actually Band H. One of these two bits of information must be wrong. VW's answer will be interesting.
I agree they should tell us - they should do / know lots of things though....

Just looked at the DVLA website and the 150 ocean 4M is still 176g/kg!!!
Barney

I accept that but I don't see why I might be being taxed because of something I might do.
If that is the reason for the different CO2 figure...

Perhaps VW are being a little more honest, after all, it's somewhat surprising that many CO2 figure are just below the VED boundaries - makes a huge difference in company car tax rates, and, therefore, sales. What do or continental members get told? Are their emissions just under their equivalent bands, or is it just the UK VED system that gets played?

That said, the is a clear information and advertising issue if the band is not as described. What difference could this make to buyers from April?

Seats - Most registrations are based on the design of the base vehicle/type approval, not the options, hence the 7/5 seat classification, and no doubt other folk, who retro fit a fifth seat, are glad of the extra capacity on the V5 as re-registration is a right kerfuffle.

If that is the reason for the different CO2 figure...

Perhaps VW are being a little more honest, after all, it's somewhat surprising that many CO2 figure are just below the VED boundaries - makes a huge difference in company car tax rates, and, therefore, sales. What do or continental members get told? Are their emissions just under their equivalent bands, or is it just the UK VED system that gets played?

That said, the is a clear information and advertising issue if the band is not as described. What difference could this make to buyers from April?

Seats - Most registrations are based on the design of the base vehicle/type approval, not the options, hence the 7/5 seat classification, and no doubt other folk, who retro fit a fifth seat, are glad of the extra capacity on the V5 as re-registration is a right kerfuffle.
My Ocean 150 DSG was fitted with a 5 th seat from new and still 163 g/km/£185, obviously pretty random depending on what the dealer tells the authorities.

My Ocean 150 DSG was fitted with a 5 th seat from new and still 163 g/km/£185, obviously pretty random depending on what the dealer tells the authorities.
Seems to be the case :headbang:headbang

I queried this with the VCA who checked with VW the 150 dsg co2 has been revised to 166. The VCA website has now been updated to reflect this. Some other models have been changed as well but have not impacted the VED band like the 150 dsg.

This appears to explain everything. It seems that VW internal communication is at fault and we as customers are left to find out for ourselves by checking the V5 or being taken by surprise after 12 months at first VED renewal.

Hmm......VCA web site this morning says 163g/km Band G.
upload_2017-3-21_9-38-57.png

Interesting, did you do it for a new unregistered vehicle.

This is what I see

upload_2017-3-21_10-30-42.png

How interesting. My posted image was for a used Cali registered in Feb 2017 because that's when my Cali was registered. As you can see the VED is Band G (163g/km). I just made the same enquiry for an unregistered Cali (Same Spec) and it comes up with Band H (166g/km). So clearly something has changed.

According to this my Cali V5C should say 163g/km not 166g/km. I am still waiting for comment from VW. Will share as and when.

Invoice 12 month VED £185; first reg fee £55
V5 178 giving band I £230 (won't know for sure until VED renewal next year)

My V5 shows 177 for the same drive train as you have @BJG , matches the VW specs on website

..me..

My V5 shows 177 for the same drive train as you have @BJG , matches the VW specs on website

..me..
I've got a detachable towbar. Have you?
Or maybe the comfort mattress needs more fuel to carry;)

It will be what it will be but for the record my 2017 T6 204 4 Motion with towbar etc etc etc is 178.
Just checked my paperwork for previous Oct 2016 2WD version with same spec and that was 177.
Mike

I've got a detachable towbar. Have you?
Or maybe the comfort mattress needs more fuel to carry;)

No towbar or mattress.

It seems plain to me. They have to think of a number and double it take % from it and keep that a secret. Then get their Aunt to think of a number between 10 and 50 and then divide it by that. Now get their eldest child and take there the month that they were born and add that. Then publish that on a website with a random number generator and wonder why people get annoyed with inconsistencies .

:headbang ;)

I have a July 2016 reg Ocean 150 DSG and V5 states 163 G/KM but it also lists number of seats as 4.

Last edited:
I have a July 2017 reg Ocean 150 DSG and V5 states 163 G/KM but it also lists number of seats as 4.
Impressive! I assume you mean 2016;)

Just checked V5 and online, 163g/km and £185. Ocean 150 DSG with 5 seats.

Back