Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VED. What should I be paying?

Daniel Steely

Daniel Steely

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi
Just noticed that this may be going out under accessories for sale, and can't find a way to amend this unless the moderator amends it for me.
Anyway I know people will see this quite rightly say just look on previous threads. I have done this and still confused. Probably my age.
My scenario is this. Bought used van from dealer in December 2021. Paid road tax when completing purchase. Extortionate amount which I accepted because my thoughts were that the new cost would have been over £40,000 and it is not a commercial vehicle so that is just how it is.
Probably very wishful thinking, but do I just keep paying this figure each year until it is five years old or can I query my vehicle classification and be classified as a commercial or some other category that gets me out of the luxury vehicle band?
Follow up question, do I open up a can of worms if the van is not shown as a motor caravan with regard to insurance?
First Registered: 11/01/2019.
Body Type: Motor Caravan
Taxation Class: Diesel Car
Can I ask to alter the vehicle status on the V5c and is there a dream combination to aim for on the V5c that means cheaper road tax but also causes no other issues with regard to insurance and possible complications with speed restrictions?

Last edited:
My understanding is that the luxury car tax has now been scrapped for campers, but those vehicles affected historically still attract the additional “luxury car” tax for the planned duration of the government original scheme (5 years)

Last edited:
Thanks for your response and the links. I did think this was probably my current status.
I imagine I am on year four now so one more year at this rate.

Thanks for your response and the links. I did think this was probably my current status.
I imagine I am on year four now so one more year at this rate.
i thgink it's 5 years after the first year of registration, which makes it 6 years. then should drop right down.

i thgink it's 5 years after the first year of registration, which makes it 6 years. then should drop right down.
Yes. I have just realised that it is six years in reality not five, sadly.

Back