Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Vehicle class

S

scale700

VIP Member
Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi all, I'm new on here and thinking of buying a beach. I have a question which I hope one of you lucky beach owners can answer for me. My question is what is the beach classed as on the registration document? As far as I'm aware the SE model is classed as a motor caravan, is the beach the same?

Thanks for your help.

Hi and welcome , seems to take long for one provides you the correct answer .
As i am not from the UK can't confirm eigther but think i read the Beach in the UK is more expencife than a SE/Ocean in taxes...or am i wrong?

Hi all, I'm new on here and thinking of buying a beach. I have a question which I hope one of you lucky beach owners can answer for me. My question is what is the beach classed as on the registration document? As far as I'm aware the SE model is classed as a motor caravan, is the beach the same?

Thanks for your help.
M1 motor caravan is what's on my V5c. Welcome and happy hunting!

Tricky question to answer as it depends on how the 1st dealer registered it, my V5 for our 2013 Beach says Motor Caravan. Having recently insured ours with Comfort, I was made aware that not all Beach V5's have motor caravan on them :confused:

Thanks for your help.

Hi, my VC5 doc says...

Body type: Motor Caravan
Taxation class: Diesel Car

Hope that helps.

M1 motor caravan is what's on my V5c. Welcome and happy hunting!
Tricky question to answer as it depends on how the 1st dealer registered it, my V5 for our 2013 Beach says Motor Caravan. Having recently insured ours with Comfort, I was made aware that not all Beach V5's have motor caravan on them :confused:
Hi, my VC5 doc says...

Hope that helps.
Just like waiting at a bus stop, nothing for ages then three show up at once! ;):thumb

Ace, thank you all for your responses. As usual nothing is straight forward. Funnily enough it was comfort insurance that got me thinking about this in the first place as I called them for a quote earlier and they said if it doesn't say motor caravan on the V5 they would not insure it.
Thanks again.

Based on the DVLA rules, it should NOT be a motor caravan (no fixed cooker and probably other reasons), but if you are lucky and get this classification, I'd 'take-it' and keep quiet.

(edit, later in this thread I come across a DVLA doc that says it's a legal requirement for the class to be stated correctly on the v5).

Last edited:
Based on the DVLA rules, it should NOT be a motor caravan (no fixed cooker and probably other reasons), but if you are lucky and get this classification, I'd 'take-it' and keep quiet.

I don't feel lucky or unlucky about this classification. This is what it has been applied for by West Yorkshire van center and classed as by the DVLA, I have had no say in it. I can say I haven't had any trouble insuring a VW T5 transporter panel van likewise I haven't had any problems insuring my beach. Don't really see what difference it makes to a beach owner?

Ace, thank you all for your responses. As usual nothing is straight forward. Funnily enough it was comfort insurance that got me thinking about this in the first place as I called them for a quote earlier and they said if it doesn't say motor caravan on the V5 they would not insure it.
Thanks again.

From what I have read comfort insurance are dis jointed and one adviser could say different to another. Give admiral a buzz.

This is what it has been applied for by West Yorkshire van center and classed as by the DVLA
That's not really building confidence! Loads of SE's were wrongly classified for years (some classed as vans (plg), others as cars, not motor caravans). The dealers may have just carried on using the new SE classification for the beach and the Dvla haven't twigged.
The Dvla rules are clear but their zealousy in applying maybe them less so.
I think this has been discussed before and hopefully some clarity found. Perhaps someone can link that thread here as I'm struggling to find it.

Hi, my VC5 doc says...

Hope that helps.

Yep mine too.
Insure it, use it, enjoy it and forget about the insurance nonsense :thumb
You have been honest with the information you have and the insurance companies also have a duty to understand the liability they have taken on.

Enjoy the Beach, you have a great vehicle :bananadance

Comfort Insurance's knowledge of the California is poor. They kept insisting what the donor van was and coachbuild company.

I believe the DVLA classification of motor caravan and it needing a fixed cooker etc is in relation to conversions only. Not factory build.
Wonder if they consider a pop top important enough to distinguish a van from camper?

I believe the DVLA classification of motor caravan and it needing a fixed cooker etc is in relation to conversions only. Not factory build.
Wonder if they consider a pop top important enough to distinguish a van from camper?

That's an interesting point and the guidelines do refer to 'converting' but I think that is simply because that section is talking about changing the classification of a van or car or bus to a motor caravan - hence 'conversion' . The pdf I have then clearly defines the need for permanent cooking facilities etc. The need for storage seems to be met with the underseat drawer. The table and chairs section is met.

The implications of the "doesn't apply to factory build" idea is that anything could pass the test providing it had the word campervan in its name. The MX5 campervan? There needs to be a definition of a motor caravan, and I think we've found it.

The document says it's a legal requirement that vehicles are correctly classified on their V5C's.

That's an interesting point and the guidelines do refer to 'converting' but I think that is simply because that section is talking about changing the classification of a van or car or bus to a motor caravan - hence 'conversion' . The pdf I have then clearly defines the need for permanent cooking facilities etc. The need for storage seems to be met with the underseat drawer. The table and chairs section is met.

The implications of the "doesn't apply to factory build" idea is that anything could pass the test providing it had the word campervan in its name. The MX5 campervan? There needs to be a definition of a motor caravan, and I think we've found it.

The document says it's a legal requirement that vehicles are correctly classified on their V5C's.

Can you tell me, did the original camper van have sink and cooker...???
Ive owned 2 type 2s and neither had these items.
Regardless, they were still very much camper vans. Lets face it, you can't sleep in an MX5. Lets open are eyes and brains and be sensible about things:rolleyes:

Can you tell me, did the original camper van have sink and cooker...???
Ive owned 2 type 2s and neither had these items.
Regardless, they were still very much camper vans. Lets face it, you can't sleep in an MX5. Lets open are eyes and brains and be sensible about things:rolleyes:
So you are saying I could take a VW commercial Van, put windows in, a R&R with drawer bed, Pop Top and DVLA will happily change the V5c to Body Type - Motorhome/Campervan?

So you are saying I could take a VW commercial Van, put windows in, a R&R with drawer bed, Pop Top and DVLA will happily change the V5c to Body Type - Motorhome/Campervan?

No, because as stated above by another poster. It would be classed as a conversion and as such will need to meet the guidelines.
Why do people seem insistent on quoting conversion guidelines...???

My type 2 was classed as a campervan from new same as Beach

Really can't see why this matters, when you use a decent insurance company the vehicles are pre populated and they know what they can and cant insure. Honestly I don't give two hoots what it says I'm fully legal and covered! All we were doing was answering a Q that had been asked and as usual it turns into a debate over the validity of other people vehicles. Whilst this forum has its upsides some of these debates are getting old and tired!

Really can't see why this matters, when you use a decent insurance company the vehicles are pre populated and they know what they can and cant insure. Honestly I don't give two hoots what it says I'm fully legal and covered! All we were doing was answering a Q that had been asked and as usual it turns into a debate over the validity of other people vehicles. Whilst this forum has its upsides some of these debates are getting old and tired!

Obviously NOT ALL Insurers are of that opinion or ALL Beaches correctly/incorrectly classified with DVLA.

Unless of course you are casting aspersions on certain Insurance Companies.:thumb

Yet, Comfort are prepared/willing to insure the Beach, if it is classed as Motor caravan.
So in the insurers eyes its a Campervan :happy

Obviously NOT ALL Insurers are of that opinion or ALL Beaches correctly/incorrectly classified with DVLA.

Unless of course you are casting aspersions on certain Insurance Companies.:thumb
I did say DECENT so it was weeding out companies that don't know their vehicles and probably are a fraction of the size of the big players. The smaller the company the more they will find any reason not to pay out. Just like the extended warranty companies. All in my opinion of course! ;)

• Agree
Reactions: Loz
So, I wonder if there are any Forum members who do not have " Motor Caravan " on their Beach V5c?
As they should be able to get it changed to take advantage of possibly better Insurance Premiums.

If you didn't fit cooking facilities no, yes if you did. Despite what soulstyledevon is getting defensive about, that is exactly what you can do according to the pdf I've downloaded from the dvla.

Following this for years, there was a blip when the dvla refused van conversions because they looked like van with Windows, so folk had to cover them with 1980 style decals, but my understanding is, it is now back to the extent of the conversion.

I think there may be some confusion here with type approval, which is not what the OP asked about.

@yorksdubshire, it is a legal requirement that the class is stated correctly on the logbook.

Last edited:
So, I wonder if there are any Forum members who do not have " Motor Caravan " on their Beach V5c?
As they should be able to get it changed to take advantage of possibly better Insurance Premiums.

Yes I think they should be allowed to re-classify as motor caravan.
Seems only fair when 90% seem to be classified as this, same as my old type 2s.

:thumb

If you didn't fit cooking facilities no, yes if you did. Despite what soulstyledevon is getting defensive about, that is exactly what you can do according to the pdf I've downloaded from the dvla.

Following this for years, there was a blip when the dvla refused van conversions because they looked like van with Windows, so folk had to cover them with 1980 style decals, but my understanding is, it is now back to the extent of the conversion.

I think there may be some confusion here with type approval, which is not what the OP asked about.

@yorksdubshire, it is a legal requirement that the class is stated correctly on the logbook.
Let me worry about it then (I certainly won't btw). You seem to have all the right docs but are spending an awful lot of time and effort to discredit mine and other beach owners. As per dragons den "I'm out" .... Of this thread.

Let me worry about it then (I certainly won't btw). You seem to have all the right docs but are spending an awful lot of time and effort to discredit mine and other beach owners. As per dragons den "I'm out" .... Of this thread.
How ridiculous and childish. I'm not trying to discredit beaches at all. There is a good chance I'll end up with a Beach (albeit fitted out with Maxxcamp units so as to get the functionality of an SE without the complexity) , so the question is of interest to me. Sorry you don't like facts being brought into the debate. For once this thread has stayed on track and my answers are pertinent to the original question.

Back