Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ventilation and which side VanEssa Grille

mooro26

mooro26

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
As a newbie I've been searching these forums for the best ventilation options for downstairs. We've ruled out wind deflectors and prefer to go with the an easy to fit temporary solution for when we're camping.

I believe the two types of options I've seen on the forum are either;
a) Front cabin window vents - e.g. Brandrup Ventilation for front cabin windows VW California T5/T6 available at the club shop.
-or-
b) Sliding window grill - e.g. https://www.vanessa-mobilcamping.de...ion-grille-driversside-t5-t6.html?language=en

I was wondering which of these people would recommended or is there another option we'd not considered. Also if we decided on the VanEssa Grille I'd assume we'd need to order drive side from the VanEssa German website for our UK passenger side?

I made a DIY version of the Brandrup air screen

As a newbie I've been searching these forums for the best ventilation options for downstairs. We've ruled out wind deflectors and prefer to go with the an easy to fit temporary solution for when we're camping.

I believe the two types of options I've seen on the forum are either;
a) Front cabin window vents - e.g. Brandrup Ventilation for front cabin windows VW California T5/T6 available at the club shop.
-or-
b) Sliding window grill - e.g. https://www.vanessa-mobilcamping.de...ion-grille-driversside-t5-t6.html?language=en

I was wondering which of these people would recommended or is there another option we'd not considered. Also if we decided on the VanEssa Grille I'd assume we'd need to order drive side from the VanEssa German website for our UK passenger side?

We bought the VanEssa grille for the kitchen side for use when cooking if it’s raining outside and it’s very easy to use. I haven’t tried it on drivers side window yet but will give it a try.

My only thought would be how much light does the Vanessa system block out. I like to look out from the van as much as possible. I've got the brandrup ones at the front which can be amusing for people watching you set up when the window hits and automatically drops. Not too difficult but often takes a couple of goes.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Thanks all for the responses. @cwriggy - I should have mentioned that we're primarily looking for ventilation for the night.

As we're likely to drive the van a lot in the days I've decided to go for the Vanessa systems as I think it'll be quicker to fit/unfit than the Brandrup.

I'll let you know how we get on once it's arrived and we've had chance to test it out.

Thanks all for the responses. @cwriggy - I should have mentioned that we're primarily looking for ventilation for the night.

As we're likely to drive the van a lot in the days I've decided to go for the Vanessa systems as I think it'll be quicker to fit/unfit than the Brandrup.

I'll let you know how we get on once it's arrived and we've had chance to test it out.
We have the Vanessa grilles both sides, works well and keeps the rain out. You can drive with them fitted but perhaps not on the motorway.

@larrylamb - good to know that we'll be able to drive at low speed with them. Hand for little trips offsite. Do either fit on either side of the van? The web site sells driver and passenger side side specific. We only have a sliding window on passenger side. So, I've assumed I'll need to order (German) driver side.

@larrylamb - good to know that we'll be able to drive at low speed with them. Hand for little trips offsite. Do either fit on either side of the van? The web site sells driver and passenger side side specific. We only have a sliding window on passenger side. So, I've assumed I'll need to order (German) driver side.
Yes they are side specific and yes you will need the German drivers side for your nearside window.

I like the Brandrup Airscreen. Once fitted it doesn't cut out the light and you can still open and close the sliding window as desired. Good for both nighttime ventilation and cooking when it is raining:

Could you post some details of how and/or a photo please
It's a clear plastic sheet from B&Q (can't remember if it was acrylic or polcarbonate)
Gorilla tape to protect the top & bottom edges.
Suction pads that I had from replacing mobile phone screens.
Body clips from an old RC car.
I also put some magnets under the gorrila tape on the bottom edge as I had them left over from an attempt at cheating at scalextric but not sure they are necessary.
Plastic sheet was the only thing I had to buy and from memory was about £15.
IMG_20190617_184734.jpgIMG_20190617_184817.jpgIMG_20190617_184807.jpg

It's a clear plastic sheet from B&Q (can't remember if it was acrylic or polcarbonate)
I also put some magnets under the gorrila tape on the bottom edge as I had them left over from an attempt at cheating at scalextric but not sure they are necessary.
View attachment 46374View attachment 46371View attachment 46373
Nice bit of work there :thumb

My only thought would be how much light does the Vanessa system block out. I like to look out from the van as much as possible. I've got the brandrup ones at the front which can be amusing for people watching you set up when the window hits and automatically drops. Not too difficult but often takes a couple of goes.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
It does block some light out but gives you fresh air, weather protection and can be left in on site to help keep your Cali a bit cooler, depends how hot your cali is.

I dont know why you don't use wind deflectors. Drop the windows an inch at night and job done. These are my Heko ones. I do love the home made side window one though. Top work

IMG_20190530_120924.jpg

Looks very doable. Thank you.

I dont know why you don't use wind deflectors. Drop the windows an inch at night and job done. These are my Heko ones. I do love the home made side window one though. Top work

Our silver windscreen cover gives enough protection that we can just drop the front windows an inch behind it, it's not been an issue even in heavy rain.

We probably need a different strategy for keeping the van cool in high temperatures though.