Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

ventilation using wind deflectors

jqp

jqp

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
On my last trip a few weeks ago, I had significant condensation overnight on the inside of the windscreen. I have now fitted deflectors to the front doors so that I can keep the windows slightly open even when it's raining.
I am just wondering what people do with the front door blinds. If they are clipped to the doors in the normal way, surely they will prevent air flow through the windows?
Do people detach the top blind magnets from the door, or is there enough airflow anyway?

On my old T25 there was a gap in the screen curtain aligned with the quarter lights, so I did not have a problem.

On my last trip a few weeks ago, I had significant condensation overnight on the inside of the windscreen. I have now fitted deflectors to the front doors so that I can keep the windows slightly open even when it's raining.
I am just wondering what people do with the front door blinds. If they are clipped to the doors in the normal way, surely they will prevent air flow through the windows?
Do people detach the top blind magnets from the door, or is there enough airflow anyway?

On my old T25 there was a gap in the screen curtain aligned with the quarter lights, so I did not have a problem.
Personally, I find there is enough airflow. I don’t tuck the bottom in against the glass.

As WG says but I’m also careful to keep the curtain as clear of the glass as I can. In case of any condensation and leave the curtains to air rather than packing away.

I am just wondering what people do with the front door blinds....
I always detache the upper magnets from the door, and I lower the window by 1 cm. As my deflectors are tinted, it can not be seen from outside.

Grateful for the replies. It seems that the answer to the question on detaching the magnets is:
no, maybe, yes.
I guess it all depends. There are indeed many variables: the weather, the number of occupants, the cooking, the heating level, etc.
FWIW my experience over 2 nights by the coast in Suffolk last week was no condensation with blinds clipped up and windows 2 cm open. First night 20 mins boiling potatoes so plenty of moisture, freezing outside so heating on 2 all night. Second night ony 10 mins boiling pasta, and strong wind from the south, heater down to level 1.

One positive result - the wind deflectors produce no audible wind noise up to 70 mph.

Grateful for the replies. It seems that the answer to the question on detaching the magnets is:
no, maybe, yes.
I guess it all depends. There are indeed many variables: the weather, the number of occupants, the cooking, the heating level, etc.
FWIW my experience over 2 nights by the coast in Suffolk last week was no condensation with blinds clipped up and windows 2 cm open. First night 20 mins boiling potatoes so plenty of moisture, freezing outside so heating on 2 all night. Second night ony 10 mins boiling pasta, and strong wind from the south, heater down to level 1.

One positive result - the wind deflectors produce no audible wind noise up to 70 mph.
Was your roof up or down ?

As well as the door windows being slightly open to aid ventilation I can in any thing but extreme weather conditions leave the sliding door ajar (not quite locked shut)
The awning case outside serves as a drip rail

Alan

Was your roof up or down ?
Roof up. Ventilation when sleeping with the roof closed is a much bigger issue.

I learnt my lesson many years ago, in my T25 Westy, when I spent 3 nights roof down stealth camping inside Ramstein airbase (don't ask!). Afterwards, I was never able to remove the black mould that formed on the inside of the roof.

Wind deflectors in combination with an external windscreen and side window cover works well in giving ventilation.
I have both a summer sun blind and the thicker insulated type as supplied by the shop.

Back