Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

vertical "shutter-style" windscreen blinds

T

Tizzy Two

At the Shepton Mallet show last week I saw a new VW conversion and it had very easy-to-use blinds fitted in front of the windscreen. They were shaped around the interior driving mirror and, when pulled back, disappeared into housing around the windscreen. The only problem I could see was the cost - over £400- imported from Germany and fitted by the conversion company.
Has anybody had these retro-fitted to their Cali? If so, are they worth the money or should I persist with the curtain which fits over the sun visors and is a bit of a struggle to sort out? I would welcome any comments - thanks.

Tizzy Two said:
At the Shepton Mallet show last week I saw a new VW conversion and it had very easy-to-use blinds fitted in front of the windscreen. They were shaped around the interior driving mirror and, when pulled back, disappeared into housing around the windscreen. The only problem I could see was the cost - over £400- imported from Germany and fitted by the conversion company.
Has anybody had these retro-fitted to their Cali? If so, are they worth the money or should I persist with the curtain which fits over the sun visors and is a bit of a struggle to sort out? I would welcome any comments - thanks.

They sound like the LHD Cali Blinds - they would have to be adapted because the LHD Cali has a completely different dash. There has been various debates on here about the value of retro fitting them, I think the consensus has always been, they're nice to have, but you're not going to miss them and most people are happy with a screen.

They slide into the windscreen pillars - to fit them to a UK Cali with a standard transporter dash, I believe you have to modify the bottom of each housing.

James

You would still have condensation so a lot of effort imho

Calikev said:
You would still have condensation so a lot of effort imho

I've also heard people say they don't quite meet in the middle, that's if they are the Cali Blinds.

James

Re: Blind leading the blind

As per previous post , having struggled and been very disappointed with the UK spec 3 piece front blind kit, I would recommend going for a T5 Silver Screen for the windscreen & cab windows instead of Euro blinds or the kit they give you for the UK spec Cali's.
It works perfectly & blanks out all of the light. If you get the Silver Screen Paragon version it allows you to open up the front segment without having to remove the whole thing when you are on a site & want to spy on the neighbors.

They come with a bag which fits easily on or under the back shelf. I also keep an outside ground mat in the same bag (when its not too muddy!)

Don't be put off by their website, Silver screens are the best (and original), just give them a call if you have any doubts

:bananadance

http://www.silverscreens.co.uk/Foldable%20screens.html

:cool:

Thanks for the advice - I shall keep on battling with the curtain until next winter, when I'll look at the silver screen blind and avoid the condensation problem. You've saved me £400 - thanks.

Help please. I picked up my new t5 California last week I have opened the blinds for the front cabin but there are only two one for each door. I'm i missing something???? Thanks in advance

There should be a big one for the windscreen and one for the window in each door so three in all. What size are the ones you have?

I have the windscreen horizontal blinds but mine is a Westy. it's right hand drive and can't see why a l/h would not fit. I use them for short halts and Silverscreens for longer stays. I have had no trouble with them parting in the middle as some have said. Paul.

we have the two for the side windows missing the main one Deal has ordered one for us Thanks

I've always used a Silver Screen, haven't even taken the original curtains out of the plastic bag

Never used anything but the original VW blinds. Magnetic on side windows and looped over sunshades for the windscreen. Easy on easy off.

Back