Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Vertical Surfboard Rack

sh011265

sh011265

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi

I have a VW T6 Westfalia Kepler One and I love it.
Although there is one annoying aspect: I can't install a roof rack since it has no rails. Apparently the roof is a completely different construction than a regular T6 Cali.

And I do want to travel with my surfboard(s). Now I can put them inside the van easily for day trips, but not handy during the night off course since the space inside is already limited.

Now I've got a particular idea to put the boards on the side of the van. Such as the image I'll attach in this post.
Do you guys think it's a doable option?

I would like to attach something to the rail of the awning and a second attachment point lower on the car itself (maybe with a sucking pad such as the seasucker solution).
Between the two attachment points I'll have to create some sort of aluminium frame or bar to attach my surfboard.

2-vertirack-bumpy-road.jpg

IMG_3003.jpg

IMG_3004.jpg

Hi, are they long or short boards?
If short boards they may be able to go across the tailgate.
I adapted my towbar bike rack to carry skis (190cm fits fine), similar to what others on the forum have done with the tailgate racks. Something similar should be achievable for short boards.

Hi, are they long or short boards?
If short boards they may be able to go across the tailgate.
I adapted my towbar bike rack to carry skis (190cm fits fine), similar to what others on the forum have done with the tailgate racks. Something similar should be achievable for short boards.
Thanks for yr reply.
Nah, not really short boards. They are 7.6 and 8'.. so the longest is 244 cm.
I've got the thule Backpac 2 attached to the Tailgate.

I'll search the forum to check out their solution. Or do you have a direct link/photo?
Maybe it can be a workaround to out the boards inside and place them on the tailgate like you've mentioned during the night.

* to have the boards inside while driving and on the tailgate when standing still/during the night

I was just researching something similar :) Found this:

Just saw this shown for sale in the US - advertised as a window mount ski rack....
This kind of thing might be a possibility.
Bear in mind that suction cups need a flat surface - when living in Dubai I adapted a 2-suction handle to hold a visibility flag for dune-bashing. It worked perfectly on flat sections of roof, but would not hold onto the car side window or tailgate due to the curvature of the glass.

C0BF8C92-21CE-4D2D-B20F-CE25A2DF7995.jpeg

446D42B7-E18C-48D7-A431-C8D13C3EABC9.jpeg

0EE73BF5-9879-42C1-B0F4-FE7BDB0C549F.jpeg

E44FB14E-D10F-4079-BEEF-9E0A1AF39009.jpeg

Thanks for the replies!
I was already looking at the seasucker's solution. Emailed them and they don't cover warranty for vertical attachment:
Our racks are not designed to be mounted in a horizontal side position.
I have seen our racks mounted on the side of our VW bus but it was parked and done as a fun thing.
I am sure customers do it but we do not cover any warranty or damage if it occurs.

Customer Support

On the roof itself it seems like undoable since it requires a metal surface iso "plastic". + it would block the sunlight for the solar panals - when I install them one day :)

But I do think the solution lies in a combination of attaching it to the awning system and a suction cup.
Tailgate looks nice as well, but undoable with the longer boards I own.

I'll keep on investigating

Thanks for the replies!
I was already looking at the seasucker's solution. Emailed them and they don't cover warranty for vertical attachment:

On the roof itself it seems like undoable since it requires a metal surface iso "plastic". + it would block the sunlight for the solar panals - when I install them one day :)

But I do think the solution lies in a combination of attaching it to the awning system and a suction cup.

As you are an avid surfer, maybe a permanent fixture might be better. I’m not sure how strong the awning system would be with a downward vertical force.
Something like this?

I might be wrong but I always thought that you couldn’t have anything that protrudes outside the width of the wing mirrors?

I might be wrong but I always thought that you couldn’t have anything that protrudes outside the width of the wing mirrors?
Found this in. Royal Yachting Association leaflet.....

Projection of Loads on Trailers and on Roof-Racks
The projection of a load on a trailer or roof-rack may be up to 305mm on either side of the vehicle or trailer, provided that the overall width of the vehicle or trailer (including projections) does not exceed 2.9m.
If the load for towing is wider than 2.9m then the police must be informed in advance of the journey. It the load width exceeds 3.5m then the police must be informed and an assistant carried. The maximum permitted width for the vehicle/trailer and its load is 4.3m.
Special marker boards must be fixed in position if
- a load projects to one side or both sides of any vehicle by more than 305mm or;
- a vehicle and its load exceeds 2.9 metres in width.

As you are an avid surfer, maybe a permanent fixture might be better. I’m not sure how strong the awning system would be with a downward vertical force.
Something like this?
Yeah - this one is my source of inspiration. But haven't find anybody (in Belgium) who can install such thing for me or has experience with this kind of attachment

Thanks for the replies!

So are you saying that seasucker or other suction cups won’t work on the roof of any T6 Cali or just yours? I was looking at buying these. Thanks and good luck in your search!

So are you saying that seasucker or other suction cups won’t work on the roof of any T6 Cali or just yours? I was looking at buying these. Thanks and good luck in your search!
No clue on the VW California. I've only done research on my VW westfalia..
That aside I thought a regular Cali just has built in roof rails to put a rack on it? So why a seasucker

On my side, I've continued my research on a proper solution for a vertical surf rack that has no impact on the roof of my westfalia.
I've found someone who wants to sit down with me of the technical aspect to actual built it.
Here are some images which show pretty much what I (sort of) want (I especially like the idea of building "hooks" that can be folded inward:

No clue on the VW California. I've only done research on my VW westfalia..
That aside I thought a regular Cali just has built in roof rails to put a rack on it? So why a seasucker

Yes, unfortunately I have to sell my Cali next year as I must return to North America. As such, was looking at suckers as i could re-use them on another vehicle in future.

On my side, I've continued my research on a proper solution for a vertical surf rack that has no impact on the roof of my westfalia.
I've found someone who wants to sit down with me of the technical aspect to actual built it.
Here are some images which show pretty much what I (sort of) want (I especially like the idea of building "hooks" that can be folded inward:

View attachment 45920
View attachment 45921View attachment 45922View attachment 45923View attachment 45924View attachment 45925
Hey,
Did you find a solution? Im also from Belgium and look for a similar setup! but then for my cali beach t6.1

Easier to put them on the roof.

Fit some uprated roof struts then you can still open the roof with boards on top.
Oké true that!
It just looks cool on the side
I have airline rails on the side so I was hoping someone did it already.
It's just for a short board.

Oké true that!
It just looks cool on the side
I have airline rails on the side so I was hoping someone did it already.
It's just for a short board.

I installed airline rails on my van and added 2 smaller airlines between them that I can move around. In winter I use Thule snowboard racks and in winter surfboard mounts for surfboards or paddle board. Unfortunately I don’t have photos with a board. Will keep that in mind next time!

1bba2c4df8506bad67d72d05cc4793f7.jpg

a13f84294253f690f531dbeaef634eb1.jpg

e86d8e42586403ef2dcbc4b6b4b574c7.jpg

5fd08038c13ac92070611ca584919d90.jpg

a1c66ec831041b769568fd51b5d4ad3c.jpg

bc6ea1c90d735e67d877418cdbbdc955.jpg

534eb6a48fec99c94d6d851bf4b05806.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello! So Manny great tips here!
Were in to buy a club joker or a Cali hardtop as a surfbus and would very much apriciate how to install those airlinerails. They look sleek and thinking of doning the same. Just a Bit afraid of drilling holes in our first van :)

Both the cali and club joker har prepared for som installation on the hardtop it seems. Ni one know what fits on there surfwise?

Much appriciate tour help!

Hello! So Manny great tips here!
Were in to buy a club joker or a Cali hardtop as a surfbus and would very much apriciate how to install those airlinerails. They look sleek and thinking of doning the same. Just a Bit afraid of drilling holes in our first van :)

Both the cali and club joker har prepared for som installation on the hardtop it seems. Ni one know what fits on there surfwise?

Much appriciate tour help!

Hi there, no drilling required. I just used Sika Flex! Works fine for 2 boards. I mount surfboards and SUP’s in summer and then switch to Snowboard/Ski racks in winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back