Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Very Saggy Tailgate

Ajspicer

Ajspicer

VIP Member
VIP Trade Partner
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Went to B&Q earlier to get some 2400 x 600 sheets of chipboard for the loft, however, when trying to load thenm into the back of our SE, the tailgate would not stay open, it just crashed to the shut position every time.

My only option was to ask the trolley boy to hold the tailgate open whilst I loaded up the sheets :oops:

This does seem very poor to me, it's the newest vehicle I have ever owned and I would not expect struts to fail in its early life.

Anyone else had similar problems?

Many thanks,

Andrew.

It should stay open I would say you have an issue with the struts looks like they need replacement,

I find the cold weather effects mine. They work perfect in the summer, in the winter they only hold the tailgate at about 80%.

In the cold weather I find ours doesn't go up all of the way on its own - it needs a shove to make it go to the top - which I put down to the oil in the strut being thick and cold.

But it will stay in any position. So kind of the opposite of the behaviour you describe.

I would take it back and ask for new struts - I think there are two versions - the ones for use with the bike rack which are stiffer.

Thanks, we have the bike rack and I have checked the part number and they are correct.

They must be completely knackered then as like I said it falls from the full height with a very loud crash!

Cannot believe they could fail after 4 years of little use.

I will go to VW and see what they have to say about it.

Thanks again,

Andrew.

Raggedroy said:
I find the cold weather effects mine. They work perfect in the summer, in the winter they only hold the tailgate at about 80%.

+1

Our tailgate does also not open very efficiently with the bike rack on. Where can I check the part number of the gas springs? Ours have the number 7A7 827 550, is this the right one?

From memory it should have 1250n on them some where :thumb

It does: 1250N. So this is the right one?

Yes it is the uprated one for use with the bike rack :thumb

This discussion from last April is interesting:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6730&p=59566&hilit=1250N#p59566

Looks like 1250 is fitted as standard on the SE (ready for a bike rack)
If you load up a bike rack with bikes, even the uprated 1250s will struggle
The link above has a link to a company that can sell you 1400s

It looks like leaking struts is not an uncommon problem :-(

T

That might be interesting! I will keep the link!!

Mine was saggy (the rear door :D ) in the UK in the winter and no better in NZ in 27 degree summer heat. I did check with dealer in UK before I left and they said it was two stage to enable you to take chairs out at stage one and then push up further to open fully.

I don't believe that the bike rack along with Comfort screen cover and topper stuck between the chairs so far out from the pivot point helps, but I'll live with it :sad

Andy

SGS can also uprate struts if they are in good condition
However from past experience they will usually try to sell new ones, only to be expected I suppose.
Word of warning for anyone taking the struts off, the tailgate is hellish heavy so make sure you have assistance and a good prop ready

i have the opposite problem, difficult to close the hatch as the hydraulic arms seem to be quite strong. OK for me but my wife and kids struggle. are they adjustable?

Back