Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tailgate Supports

Tarquers

Tarquers

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Beach camper 150
I am going crazy searching for an item I found to buy later online and now can’t locate. It was a catch that fits on the struts to hold open the tailgate that was released with a catch to lower. They were available in a variety of colours if that helps jog someone’s memory. If anyone has seen this, would be grateful to be pointed in the right direction! Thanks

I think that the company was SGS, who supply and re-condition gas struts.

Thanks @briwy and @Vagophile these things were clips that live on the strut permanently. Hopefully I will find the site at some point!

Last edited:
Vandalierer?

They have one in this u tube clip, I want one too but
their website is unplugged whilst they are on holiday.

Thank you! I am no longer convinced I am losing my mind!!!

Last edited:
They have one in this u tube clip, I want one too but
their website is unplugged whilst they are on holiday.

Not seen those before; neat solution if it can handle a fully laden bike rack.

I would be more concerned about the lower fixing point of the Gas Struts.:thumb

Don’t forget the tailgate isn’t designed to take that load when open.
Two mountain bikes were enough to create crease dents under the tailgate rack when I had one on my old van…

It’s a nice idea, but buyer beware…

When its 'el scorchio' my rams have a tenancy to drop down.
Using a support would give me a piece of my mind.

I don't want it so that I can lift it with the bike rack loaded.

When its 'el scorchio' my rams have a tenancy to drop down.
Using a support would give me a piece of my mind.

I don't want it so that I can lift it with the bike rack loaded.
Well the shop is open, but the product is out of stock!

Using these locking tubes to keep the gas struts up, is a dangerous solution, in my opinion: the lower fixing points of the gas struts are not designed to take such a heavy load. Imagine, they crash when someone is standing under it.

The tailgate, if coming down, is not coming down smoothly, but like a guillotine...

A solution, if at all, is to use a very strong (telescopic) stick, to support the tailgate. Do not put the lower end of the stick on the ground (you may push it away accidentally), but fix it firmly with screws or otherwise on two positions: in the lower left corner of the clothing cabinet, just above the bumper. And firmly fix it in the tailgate too.
See this diagonal solution from our brilliant colleagues at Caliboard.de:

Tailgate_support.jpg

I partially "quote" a very tiny part of the much larger photo, if not allowed, please delete it.

Regards from Amsterdam,

Marc.

Using these locking tubes to keep the gas struts up, is a dangerous solution, in my opinion: the lower fixing points of the gas struts are not designed to take such a heavy load. Imagine, they crash when someone is standing under it.

The tailgate, if coming down, is not coming down smoothly, but like a guillotine...

A solution, if at all, is to use a very strong (telescopic) stick, to support the tailgate. Do not put the lower end of the stick on the ground (you may push it away accidentally), but fix it firmly with screws or otherwise on two positions: in the lower left corner of the clothing cabinet, just above the bumper. And firmly fix it in the tailgate too.
See this diagonal solution from our brilliant colleagues at Caliboard.de:

View attachment 81432

I partially "quote" a very tiny part of the much larger photo, if not allowed, please delete it.

Regards from Amsterdam,

Marc.
Looks like swapping a designed strong point for a non designed load point IMHO. The idea of the supports is to compromise between needing extra heavy duty struts so the tailgate can’t be closed when unladen, and being able to access the rear with a supported static load.

Plenty of people out there with spare wheel and bikes on the racks with no issues, I just don’t fancy running stiffer struts when, like this weekend, I could hardly close the tailgate from the rear with a bike carrier on the tow bar. Each to their own I guess.

Well the shop is open, but the product is out of stock!
I might slice a piece of copper pipe and
improvise.
Thats 3 times now that they've sold out whilst I was thinking
about getting one.

Has anyone else felt happy sheltering from the rain under the
tailgate only to get p1ssed wet through when lowering it.

improvise.
about getting one.

Sods law. One minute barely manages to stay open the next it stays up perfectly with a few litres on water on board.

improvise.
about getting one.

Spoke to them yesterday, they are trying to deal with new rules for shipping outside of Germany. Apparently my rear slide was ordered in time abs will go but new orders are Germany only so you may get lucky soon.

I don't like using them, however some times they have saved me time when I was on my own and had the bicycle loaded. Here in Barcelona there's a shop that sells all sorts of aluminium profiles. Years ago I bought a bit of this U shape profile and made them for the T4. Yesterday I had to cut about 3 or 4 cms (I marked them, didn't measure) and can now use them in the T6.
IMG_3675.JPG

Back