Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

View from/of your van.

Not as spectacular as the top of ventoux, but I did ride up ventoux thursday, then here and les deux earlier in the day today.

Weather looks much nicer in this pic than when I did it on the bike.
View attachment 124806
Brings back memories of doing the Marmotte some years ago followed by a sprint up Les Deux the next day :cool:

https://www.camping-lesbaleines.com/en/ Arrived here on Il de Re yesterday after a couple of stopovers on the way. Lovely small site with good facilities, directly on the beach. Here for the next 5 days or so, and then probably heading up the Loire Valley. Luckily there is a bush in the way that stops the lighthouse from lighting up my bunk 4 times every 15 seconds!

1000012521.jpg

20240629_215947.jpg

20240629_220011.jpg

20240629_190426.jpg

20240630_104130.jpg

Last edited:
Instow just down the road................ you were lucky to stay there the night.
I’m curious, did I do a bad thing staying in Instow? I wasn’t quite sure if overnighting was allowed although the signage didn’t suggest it was forbidden.

I went down to Barnstaple for a few days to explore the area as I’m thinking of moving out of London and have it on my list of potential places. It’s very well located for fantastic beaches and great hiking.

I’m curious, did I do a bad thing staying in Instow? I wasn’t quite sure if overnighting was allowed although the signage didn’t suggest it was forbidden.

I went down to Barnstaple for a few days to explore the area as I’m thinking of moving out of London and have it on my list of potential places. It’s very well located for fantastic beaches and great hiking.
Don't know if you can or cant, lived here all my life so no reason to try. It is a great area to live you wouldn't be disappointed. People moan and groan about people in campers and MH's but there shouldn't be an issue as long as there is no mess left, they also generally spend money locally so it is a win win. Barnstaple is a bit of a tired town but around the local areas both ways is great.

https://www.camping-lesbaleines.com/en/ Arrived here yesterday after a couple of stopovers on the way. Lovely small site with good facilities, directly on the beach. Here for the next 5 days or so, and then probably heading up the Loire Valley. Luckily there is a bush in the way that stops the lighthouse from lighting up my bunk 4 times every 15 seconds!
That looks familiar, we were there last week staying at Camping Le Comoran - equally recommended! Did you climb to the top?

IMG_3795.jpeg

If you still need to head back to London regularly you will find the North Devon Link road a real pia from the M5 to Barnstaple. Always seems to be a problem and it's a horrible hour extra leaving the M5.

Trying to be tactful, but we also found the North Devon coastal areas somewhat lacking in investment and services, left behind. Bit further up my son-in-law is from Minehead, large town which for ages didn't even have a single GP...

We prefer the coast from Exeter down to Exmouth to Sidmouth to Lyme Regis. We actually relocated to Budleigh Salterton from Thames Valley and love it. 20 mins to M5 and Exeter is a lovely, wealthy, cosmopolitan city with decent rail connections.

As towns go, we also really like Topsham. Depends what you want but plenty of beaches and hiking in East Devon too.

Feel free to PM me.