Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

View from/of your van.

Marco Polo - California sandwich at Runswick Bay. The banter with my MP owning friends has been hilarious... Does your van have this / my van has that !!:)

View attachment 33831

When you see them all parked up like that it makes you realise that the T6 design now looks quite dated.

I happened to leave the tailgate open on a lot of pictures. Won't happen again :D
As long as you close it before you drive away, it’s easy to forget it’s open!

What is that green cover you have on your bellows?

As long as you close it before you drive away, it’s easy to forget it’s open!

What is that green cover you have on your bellows?

Thats his DIY rain cover / sides .
He has a topic on that .

When you see them all parked up like that it makes you realise that the T6 design now looks quite dated.
It’s subjective. When the Ford Transit Custom came out about 3 - 4 years ago, I thought in comparison the VW looked dated. Now, I think the Transit looks dated!

From the front the Merc is currently more up to date with the styling cues from the car range. I’m not sure the bling on the front of the latest T6 is an improvement over the T5, but I guess VW had to freshen it up in some way. Come to that, I often wonder whether the earlier pre facelift T5 was the better looker, particularly the 174 model.

Viewed sideways on, I think the VW looks better than the Mercedes, I like the deep windows. Also the rear view of the T6 is neat. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder! ;)

With the storm we had in the evening I was glad I didn't have one . This was the noisiest quiet place I have every been to.
The bloody cows had bells on and came around the van for shelter, then the horses. It was like an episode of Heidi . I didn't mind the sheep,it reminded me of home

Screenshot_20180603-234532.png

Last edited:
Yes I do fit them. They display an area closer to the caravan than the standard mirrors. But towing without does not "feel" dangerous.

"To be compliant with the law, anyone towing a caravan must be able to see 20 metres behind them and four metres either side of the towed outfit. In order to meet this requirement, almost all vehicles will need additional towing mirrors and could benefit from fitting a camera." (Caravan and Camping Club)

Llyn Brenig today
E4059D0F-7583-450D-9B62-E34E4EB98FDD.jpeg

Great spot for cycling. Parked up here, did a circuit of Llyn Aled, which is close by, first. Then back to the van for lunch before doing a clockwise ride around Brenig.

Note the slope the van is on, the sliding door nearly chopped my arm off; I thought I had given it a good enough shove to open it fully but it didn’t quite make it and it came hurtling back. I just managed to take some off the force off it before it trapped my arm. Dangerous for a child!

This is Llyn Aled, it’s harder going on the bike than Brenig. Worth the effort though :)
4CA6A9D9-7DF1-4E93-AD72-EB5BDDD0D65B.jpeg
7C061A5B-25A1-487E-A5F3-DB7D2C73CF7A.jpeg

6E29493E-CE6E-42F0-A8FE-EDF8C5A4D28B.jpeg D6CC3A0E-0B3D-48E5-A4A3-93CD5C80DBA9.jpeg

Driving back over the Fjardarheidi Pass to Seydisfjordur, East Fjords, Iceland. Much less snow than when we arrived off the ferry three weeks ago. Then we were greeted with a snowstorm, today sunshine. We would recommend a trip round Iceland to any Cali owner. If we did it again, we would stop off in Faroe Islands for a week too. We met a couple in a Cali who had just come off the ferry yesterday and done just that - they said it was amazing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Driving back over the Fjardarheidi Pass to Seydisfjordur, East Fjords, Iceland. Much less snow than when we arrived off the ferry three weeks ago. Then we were greeted with a snowstorm, today sunshine. We would recommend a trip round Iceland to any Cali owner. If we did it again, we would stop off in Faroe Islands for a week too. We met a couple in a Cali who had just come off the ferry yesterday and done just that - they said it was amazing.
Great trip, thanks for the Pics! :thumb

f025a7afc5d403334317979ad070b850.jpg

More than two buckets...

The Cali again demonstrates it's versatility. Took us up to Ross on Wye via Tintern and lots of little narrow, windy roads along the riverside. (Lovely views and much better than the M5 route or the M4 / A40 route.) Then parked in a small car park, where you would never get a motorhome, so we could visit The Laskett Gardens.
P1000132.JPG P1000114.JPG P1000139.JPG P1000148.JPG
Then took us to a picnic site in the Cotswolds. Brought us back the 59 miles to Bristol at 54mpg average at a steady 60mph. The last few miles from the edge of Bristol were stop start and that took ½ an hour and brought the mpg down to 49 for the 59 mile journey. I realise that is not an accurate figure, but comparing it with earlier readings from the same vehicle it is improving. But stop/start just kills it.

Our guests were very impressed at the picnic with the fridge, cooker, space for 4 with the seats turned round and the headroom when you put the roof up. What an amazing vehicle it is.

Last edited:
I assume this is a car wash and not a violent thunderstorm! Do you have an awning on your Cali?

Yes, factory awning. I am „testing“ some carwash stations around here, because its hard(er) to find a place where you are allowed to do the „bucket“ washing. I guess they think it‘s a loss of money and/or eco-reasons.

Slightly off topic but do have towing mirrors fitted when pulling your caravan? I tow a puck and don't normally bother but someone on a site said it was illegal not too have them.

Never ever on T5 and T6. And towed wide caravans. You really don’t need extra mirrors on VW transporter. I use this kind of add on mirros on smaller cars time to time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk