Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

View from/of your van.

Flat tyre

d3617ef8ec810110856fc4a7870ca6c5.jpg
17” ? Running with a spare? I have nightmares about needing to use the compressor plus gunk (no spare).

AA or self fix?

I have a spare, but will inflate tomorrow morning and hope to drive to the tyre place 5 minutes away which does repairs for £10.

I really don’t think that the Jack and brace supplied with the vehicle are fit for purpose.

AA wouldn’t come if I called because I don’t have home start.

Have you tried pumping it up - might be good for 5 mins travel if a mail is still in??

I have a spare, but will inflate tomorrow morning and hope to drive to the tyre place 5 minutes away which does repairs for £10.

I really don’t think that the Jack and brace supplied with the vehicle are fit for purpose.

AA wouldn’t come if I called because I don’t have home start.
Hi Tom,
I guess for £10 they will use a plug inserted from the outside of the tyre (as per picture). They don’t even need to take the wheel off. However, from fairly recent experience this should only be treated as a temporary solution and can’t be relied on for high speed motorway driving. A mushroom type plug inserted from inside is obviously a better and more permanent fix. Failing that it’s a new tyre. Mandatory if the tyre walls are compromised.

2EB35378-AAF9-459D-9DC6-0891810F4235.png

Have you tried pumping it up - might be good for 5 mins travel if a mail is still in??

Yes. I did exactly that. I bought a small electric pump, and got it to 35psi. (17/235 tyre is 38/41). Flat in 30 mins.

I repeated this morning, and drove to the tyre place. The inside tyre had been stripped bare.
b2f1c79ef03d01a71539c7d885d56cda.jpg

This is the SECOND time this has happened. I was advised that the 235s must be rubbing somewhere. A quick visual check didn’t determine anything obvious, but the gap between tyre and body is a little tight.

Tyre place pumped up again. I drove home and picked up my well worn but legal 16/215s, pumped up again and returned.

All four wheels replaced for £20.

Those wheels came off in November 2018 and have been sitting behind our bike shed under a tarpaulin since then.

I bought the 17/235s on here with delivery miles only. I gave them to the tyre place for the £20 I owed them. I know I mugged myself, but at least they are disposed of and I no longer have to store wheels under a tarpaulin behind our bike shed!

I think as an emergency tool, to have one of these is a good idea. You can often find an defending nail, than once pulled out could be replaced with a "temporary " plug. Need a pump also though. Could be much quicker than waiting for the breakdown service.
In the 60's, when I was driving around in a Vauxhall Victor and and a Mini, this DIY repair was a regular practice. But then again it was regular practice to carry a foot pump to inflate your tyres.

So then, my wife is over in Edinburgh helping with No 2 Grandson and I got a little bored so decided to take a drive out to our local beach. After a bracing (cold and windy!) walk I made a cup of tea and sat there just enjoying the view :thumb.

View attachment 104084

A brief walk out to this lighthouse on the end of the headland .....

View attachment 104085

Then looking back you can see where the van is (middle of photo)

View attachment 104086

Time for tea and a choccy biccy :thumb

View attachment 104087

I have included a photo of the car park details in case anyone touring this way fancies a stop by the beach. The Fife Coastal Path is just a few yards away and makes for a nice walk. Elie is a cute enough village but Pittenweem and Anstruther have more interesting sea fronts and fishing harbours. Just a few miles further North is another council 'Aire' at Kingsbarns which is great for quiet beach access, again only £10 to stop over night. :thumb

View attachment 104088
This really sent me off on a Scottish dream. How I would love to go to Camusdarach Beach.

Which campsite? We go to Norfolk a lot but have only camped once at a small windmill site.
It’s called Burnham Deepdale Camping. Doesn’t allow caravans which we like as you tend to get lots of VWs (plus a few big whites). Mostly grass & EHU, but the ground drains well. Not the cheapest but the facilities and the staff are great. Opportunity to do crafting courses, nature walks etc when you’re there.

And you can walk to 2 pubs.

However, from fairly recent experience this should only be treated as a temporary solution and can’t be relied on for high speed motorway driving.
GGD, I have always plugged any such punctures and consider them safe - even for motorway driving.

The rat tails - if installed correctly, make a plug head inside the tyre, similar to the mushroom plug and do not come out. The only challenge - as with Mushroom plugs also - only if it is a nail or a screw or something similar - these fixes will work.

However ...

Anything larger or different shape, only then should it be treated as a temporary solution. I suspect the fix that you did from your fairly recent experience may have been more than a screw/nail or a small item. anything longer than a few mm - yes, temp fix.

Also, I carry a repair kit with me, which I had to use on the car a few days ago. As I grow older (or is it the tyres are just thicker?) , I feel that I have to really work hard to get the tool plug and the reamer into the tyre. I really struggled but got it done and now the tyre is working fine.

This really sent me off on a Scottish dream. How I would love to go to Camusdarach Beach.
Camusdarach beach is truly wonderful- with magnificent views across to Rhum. We stayed at the Camusdarach campsite- which is all of 75 metres from the beach. The site is excellent too with great facilities and wifi. Security entry and exit which stops stray just parking up for access to the beach. You must try the bakery on the harbour at Mallaig- true sour dough bread and the focaccia is the best so too is their apple pie . To guarantee you should order on line and specify when you want to pick up. You wont be disappointed.

Camusdarach beach is truly wonderful- with magnificent views across to Rhum. We stayed at the Camusdarach campsite- which is all of 75 metres from the beach. The site is excellent too with great facilities and wifi. Security entry and exit which stops stray just parking up for access to the beach. You must try the bakery on the harbour at Mallaig- true sour dough bread and the focaccia is the best so too is their apple pie . To guarantee you should order on line and specify when you want to pick up. You wont be disappointed.
The Bakehouse and Crannog - Mallaig

Plasterboard delivery
62c2585baa1a019bc790368f428e7913.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
Hope you got free delivery, tradepoint do for that amount even up in the cairngorms.
Hate moving plasterboard, had to lug mine up a long steep drive in snow other week

View from Lundholme Farm CL in Ingleton.
Only CL part is open so just 3 vans in. Nice and peaceful, plenty to do nearby.View attachment 105017PXL_20230216_084204081.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Yes. I did exactly that. I bought a small electric pump, and got it to 35psi. (17/235 tyre is 38/41). Flat in 30 mins.

I repeated this morning, and drove to the tyre place. The inside tyre had been stripped bare.
b2f1c79ef03d01a71539c7d885d56cda.jpg

This is the SECOND time this has happened. I was advised that the 235s must be rubbing somewhere. A quick visual check didn’t determine anything obvious, but the gap between tyre and body is a little tight.

Tyre place pumped up again. I drove home and picked up my well worn but legal 16/215s, pumped up again and returned.

All four wheels replaced for £20.

Those wheels came off in November 2018 and have been sitting behind our bike shed under a tarpaulin since then.

I bought the 17/235s on here with delivery miles only. I gave them to the tyre place for the £20 I owed them. I know I mugged myself, but at least they are disposed of and I no longer have to store wheels under a tarpaulin behind our bike shed!
Just looking at that wear. Is it a rear wheel? I had similar wear on my rears, when I looked closely I noticed I had a broken rear spring. I had put it down to rear end sag that some keep telling us is normal and correct. As I was having to replace spring I took the opportunity to fit T32 Sachs rear springs (4 grey marks) and uprated Sachs rear shocks. Hey Preto the van sits far better and a superior ride. I think that inner edge wear is caused by excessive negative camber caused by the suspension sag.

Just looking at that wear. Is it a rear wheel? I had similar wear on my rears, when I looked closely I noticed I had a broken rear spring. I had put it down to rear end sag that some keep telling us is normal and correct. As I was having to replace spring I took the opportunity to fit T32 Sachs rear springs (4 grey marks) and uprated Sachs rear shocks. Hey Preto the van sits far better and a superior ride. I think that inner edge wear is caused by excessive negative camber caused by the suspension sag.
Thanks for that info. I will have a close look at the rear springs.

My van’s suspension has just passed a “vehicle health checkup” at SMG Tonbridge, so I will be a bit annoyed with them if they missed a broken spring!